Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

I'll show you what went sour David, i replaced the mast, checked if the leds where in working order and made the wiring inside the upperstructure tidy, everything ready for again a victory of Manfredizing. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9260253_zpszaohs3ka.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	111411

Victory!!!!!, at last. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9260252_zpsh4slwp0k.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	111412

F**K!!!!!, the white led was down, re-checked the wiring, nothing wrong, the led went dead. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9280254_zps0grxiihe.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	111413

It took me a few days before i got the gutts for breaking it open, luckely i used epoxy-glue and not styrene-glue. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9290257_zpsd6nvqx9e.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	111414

Managed to get a new led inside, only drawback was, those wires where getting shorter, twice the connections on the led broke loose, and the story had to begin from the start, anybody says modelbuilding is a relaxt hobby has got a wire loose inside his own brains. Click image for larger version

Name:	P9290256_zpsauruhbqs.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	111415

And finally there was light, still had to rebuild the armature and do a paintshop. Click image for larger version

Name:	PA010258_zpski1b9lca.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	111416

Once you stated this was a boat of terror, yes she is, in this chase, for me!!!!, for now i have to wait for the spring, she will be covered in foil against the dust, also made a vid which i will download, be patient.

PS, shortly after this picture the green nav-light on the upperstructure went dead, arghhhh, such pleasures of the hobby!!!!!

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 11-22-2015, 11:07 AM.
    I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Oh, man! You had to re-string that armature wire all the way down the mast, and into the hull. Ouch! Maybe you should increase the value of your current limiting resister(s)? Damned LED's are supposed to be good for 60 some years if run at the right current (how the egg-heads came up with number, I can't imagine).

Looking good, pal.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

Restringing those wires into the mast?, hell no!!!, i got lazy, had a tolerance of about 10 mm in the cables, so one light has a nice loop and the other less loop, i usually use 3K resistors, they work fine, i guess by using the soldering-iron so close at a led's base it received too much heat, thus shortening the lifespan of my led.

And the final vid i made about the progress this year.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Beautiful work, Manfred. As always.

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Manfred,
            As always I love the work you do!
            I ran into problems with my smd red green LEDs, the green one was significantly brighter, I would have to play with resistors until I could make them even looking, do those larger LEDs have that issue? Yours looked really good.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• MFR1964
              • Sep 2010

As Always took some more effort this time David, the mast was not intended for having lights, this will be a brainer for the future, allways prepare your stuff for, what if.

Tom,

Those larger 3 mm leds don't have that issue, playing with resistors to get the lights down even is the best solution, green will be more bright as red by nature, white was not a problem, i noticed that my white at the stern and bow are different in colour, those are cool white and the one's at the mast warm white, changing that will be a job for the future, still have a Japanese sub on the waitinglist.

Manfred.
              Last edited by MFR1964; 11-22-2015, 02:16 PM.
              I went underground

Comment

• bwi 971
                Captain
                • Jan 2015

Your AK230 in action

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Grtz,
                Bart
                Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
                "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• MFR1964
                  • Sep 2010

Nice vid Bart,

I noticed that the fire radar also turns, nice item to make it turn also, going to fetch some geared e-motor for that.

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

It has been a while, but due to the sitiation with the wife, i had some spare time, decided to start up the OSA 2, yeah sure, all batteries dead
                    Ordered some new batteries and started to replace them, a pretty much forward procedure, everything is build modular with connectors, also had to replace one of the servo's which steer the hatch of the launchtubes.
                    Technically she is ready for a maidentrip, just have to wait for some better weather

Made a short vid to show in what state she is now, and yes Bart, the rear radar is working this time

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

Working...