Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by rwtdiver

I can really feel a cool build here!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Agreed! It has a need (no pitch physical dive plane control), so you're given a requirement. Require some form of depth and/or pitch control w/o the addition of stern planes to make it authentic to the prototype.

Now some of us, myself included, may elect to solve the requirement by forgoing exactly duplicating the prototype, by the use of clear stern planes. Ray Mason uses clear bow planes on his Disney NAUTILUS and rear fixed clear vanes to keep it level. As possibly the first operation Disney NAUTILUS, it was his solution to a requirement to even dive while maintaining a semblance of depth control.

Bob Martin met this requirement by conceiving and using a pitch propeller shaft to maintain pitch control.

BOTH solutions meet the requirement, yet aren't "true" to the design intent of Mr. Goff. (Purist rivet counters may now fling arrows at the semi scale lowlifes)

You can chose one the two above, or select a different solution. Still meeting the requirement.
    Too be honest, I would go with simple gas ballast, and steal Bob's pitch prop as the simpler (to build, test, operate), but that's me and follows my build philosophy.

Funny enough, I really am a keep it simple stupid guy, while trying to enjoy the latest tech. Just enough to get the job done, reliably and consistently.

Unlike Capt. Frank Salerno and the ever evolving SSRN SEAVIEW. By the time he's done adding features he'll be able to make love to it.​
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 11-15-2022, 07:43 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

The original boat used shifting weights on a threaded rod for pitch control.
      Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

I see no reason that a DC couldn't control the ballast system, but not directly. It simply creates servo signal to command a module, be that a servo, an ESC or a relay.

Too many people get caught up with the labels. These devices take inputs and provide outputs. Utilization is completely open. Break it down into what the unit is actually doing, then think through what it puts out and how that can be used.

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Agreed! It has a need (no pitch physical dive plane control), so you're given a requirement. Require some form of depth and/or pitch control w/o the addition of stern planes to make it authentic to the prototype.

Now some of us, myself included, may elect to solve the requirement by forgoing exactly duplicating the prototype, by the use of clear stern planes. Ray Mason uses clear bow planes on his Disney NAUTILUS and rear fixed clear vanes to keep it level. As possibly the first operation Disney NAUTILUS, it was his solution to a requirement to even dive while maintaining a semblance of depth control.

Bob Martin met this requirement by conceiving and using a pitch propeller shaft to maintain pitch control.

BOTH solutions meet the requirement, yet aren't "true" to the design intent of Mr. Goff. (Purist rivet counters may now fling arrows at the semi scale lowlifes)

You can chose one the two above, or select a different solution. Still meeting the requirement.
          Too be honest, I would go with simple gas ballast, and steal Bob's pitch prop as the simpler (to build, test, operate), but that's me and follows my build philosophy.

Funny enough, I really am a keep it simple stupid guy, while trying to enjoy the latest tech. Just enough to get the job done, reliably and consistently.

Unlike Capt. Frank Salerno and the ever evolving SSRN SEAVIEW. By the time he's done adding features he'll be able to make love to it.​
          Credit, where credit is due, Ed:

https://youtu.be/kOO_sz6Sh7U

https://youtu.be/cwS6o4jsxoU

David
          Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 11-18-2022, 09:42 AM.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Credit, where credit is due, Ed:

https://youtu.be/kOO_sz6Sh7U

https://youtu.be/cwS6o4jsxoU

David
            I ALWAYS do Dave, when I know it. More so than others.

Perhaps I should start those unknown claims with, "I believe it was..."

And YOU know I've have mentioned you enough times we might as well get a room together.

v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

we might as well get a room together.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by redboat219
                I f***ing LOVE Bender!!!
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• cheapsub
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Dec 2019

What about the one Dave build some time ago.

Civil War submarine alligator.

May be a steampunk version II.

Comment

Working...