How do you make decent looking limber/vent holes?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I have just recently learned what not to do on fiberglass hull, do not use a drill bit that is too big.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1703.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	118973

Although I will be able to finish the limber hole with in the scribing lines, there was a lot of separating of the laminated layers. This is my first travel into glassed hulls. All my prior subs have been plastic. What a different game this is! Here I tried three holes with a larger bit. Not happy with what was going on I went for a much smaller hole. I will try my coping saw on this to see if it will cut out the area O.K. If not, I will put in a few more small drill holes inside the limber hole. No matter what I end up doing there will be a need for filing to finish.

To add to the conversation, what do you do to remove fibers that stick out? Do I use an X-Acto knife and cut the hairs?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
      I have just recently learned what not to do on fiberglass hull, do not use a drill bit that is too big.

Although I will be able to finish the limber hole with in the scribing lines, there was a lot of separating of the laminated layers. This is my first travel into glassed hulls. All my prior subs have been plastic. What a different game this is! Here I tried three holes with a larger bit. Not happy with what was going on I went for a much smaller hole. I will try my coping saw on this to see if it will cut out the area O.K. If not, I will put in a few more small drill holes inside the limber hole. No matter what I end up doing there will be a need for filing to finish.

To add to the conversation, what do you do to remove fibers that stick out? Do I use an X-Acto knife and cut the hairs?
      You coat the 'hairs' with CA, which stiffens them, then file away.

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

I find that sandpaper from the back side works well to get the majority of them addressed as well...

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Funny place to keep your sandpaper!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
            Funny place to keep your sandpaper!
            gee, thanks, Andy!

anyone got a can of Drano? I need to chemically scrub that imagery from my brain ... pronto!

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SubHuman
              I find that sandpaper from the back side works well to get the majority of them addressed as well...
              I had a really good look, but I can't find any sandparer in my backside. Am I missing something? Should I be eating more sand?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                Captain
                • Sep 2014

Old school way. Drill and file. Of course not as many on some other boats. Think these took about 2 hours.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                  Captain
                  • Sep 2014

Second set of pics.

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by HardRock

I had a really good look, but I can't find any sandparer in my backside. Am I missing something? Should I be eating more sand?
                    Whats the difference between Rabbitts and Hares? You cant pull a rabbit out of your Ass
                    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

You need to go to more magic shows in Thailand!

Comment

Working...