Torpedoes

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

You know what? You people would ***** if I produced them in 1/144, complaining that I didn't do it in 1/72. And so on.

No matter what I come up with I get, "But I don't like styrene!"; "Can't you make it cheaper?"; "Why can't it fly through the air too?"; "But I don't like that scale!"; "Why don't you ever return my phone calls?" ...

Tell you what: YOU make a practical torpedo system in 1/144. Don't wait for me. You do it!

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
      You know what? You people would ***** if I produced them in 1/144, complaining that I didn't do it in 1/72. And so on.

No matter what I come up with I get, "But I don't like styrene!"; "Can't you make it cheaper?"; "Why can't it fly through the air too?"; "But I don't like that scale!"; "Why don't you ever return my phone calls?" ...

Tell you what: YOU make a practical torpedo system in 1/144. Don't wait for me. You do it!

David,
      LMAO - getting better at this net shorthand
      So now is not a good time to mention that the heads needed a homing pinger and that a really good system would have had wire guided capability.....

I can see me being launched out of the no.2 tube any second now..
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Outrider
        Commander
        • Aug 2008

The 1:72 Type XXIII with the revised system looks like a winner. It's fully armed and perfectly suited for a pool. It's likely to be very affordable as these things go. There are even two first rate kits available, as well as good references. Heck, the Wiz is even on record as liking this sub.

What else could you ask for? Maybe a fittings kit? If only one would magically appear...

As to the want list, Slats left off an HE warhead. (John, didn't you post video of a VLS equipped improved LA? That could make a nice "boom," too.)

I'd like 1:144 also, but you'd never find something that small after you shot it--even in a pool.

Kudos to the Witch and the Wizard for so quickly coming up with a nicely priced two tube set up. I'm with Mike that a six or eight spread shot is the best choice, but that can force some difficult choices.

And finally, the Wiz is remarkably "salt-free" in his repartee. Must be tired of pink shorts.
        Last edited by Outrider; 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

an armed 1/125 scale Revell Type VII would be nice. But I guess at that scale or more with 1/144 using gas to propel the torpedo would be impractical. A spring based launcher like those used on action toys can simulate firing torpedoes.
          Last edited by redboat219; 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Scott T
            Commander
            • May 2009

An idea for building a rack system could be similar to lego blocks that stack up and any number of tubes can be installed up to the maximum of six.

Drawing attached.http://subcommittee.com/SubComm/images/photos/idea.jpg
            If you like it use it.
            Scott

Last edited by Scott T; Today at 10:30 AM. Reason: added picture

Comment

• Scott T
              Commander
              • May 2009

Any chance of buying a few torpedos and o-rings as a inventors kit?

Scott

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
                An idea for building a rack system could be similar to lego blocks that stack up and any number of tubes can be installed up to the maximum of six.

Drawing attached.http://subcommittee.com/SubComm/images/photos/idea.jpg
                If you like it use it.
                Scott

Last edited by Scott T; Today at 10:30 AM. Reason: added picture
                Scott,

A well presented and thought out mounting system -- but one that involves a lot of tooling for specific installations. Below are shots of how I'm integrating the tubes into a Revell 1/72 GATO kit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0023.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	58309Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0026.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	58310
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

More shots of the GATO installation:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0091.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	58311Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	58312Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0049.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	58313Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0053.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	58314Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0056.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	58315Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0048.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	58316Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0062.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	58317Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0058.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	58318Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0059.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	58319Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0061.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	58320Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0084.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	58321Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0063.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	58322
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Scott T
                    Commander
                    • May 2009

That is great looking work!
                    "there is no charge for awsomeness"

Scott

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scott T
                      Any chance of buying a few torpedoes and o-rings as a inventors kit?

Scott
                      Yes, they'll be listed as a separate item on the web page shortly.
                      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• pjdog
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2009

They look super David. An excellent job on your development.
                        I know nothing about 1.1 torpedo’s so excuse my lack of knowledge but do real torpedo’s spin like a bullet to remain true or is this something that you have done to help your 1:72 scale torpedo’s?

I see where your fins are going to cause them to spin.

I’m going to have to get some cash together for my Gato’s torpedo’s.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Only one full-scale mobile (self-propelled) torpedo I know of was spin stabilized. It was developed by a citizen near the beginning of the 20th century and never saw production nor testing by the Navy. Reportedly he lit it off in the street during a 4th of July parade to much wonderment, surprise, and horror to his neighbors.

No, all mobile torpedoes that have gone into naval service sit still about their roll axis and relay on a low c.g. and high b.c. to stay upright. Most are kept on course by a combination of depth/angle sensing and heading sensing devices working appropriate control surface actuators.

I was a Torpedoman for over 20 years, so I think you can take the above to the bank.

As my weapons are dumb and have their c.g and c.b. at centerline, I spin them to stabilize them. That simple.
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• lotharbucheim

Fantastic stuff ! Out of interest, what sort of range do you get with these torpedoes ?

Comment

Working...