Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Bruce,

I have used ZAP Z-POXY two part finishing resin with light weight glass on a couple of my Byron War Bird airplane wings (in the day) and it worked very well. I have also used it on two of my 3D printed Submarines along with fiber glass to enhance the strength of the glued up sections of the hull! I am sure there are many finishing resins out there that will do the job!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    Thanks David

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by biggsgolf
    Is glass cloth fiberglass cloth? Will this pictured below be correct? What 2 part epoxy resin do you guys recommend?
    That will work, but is a tad heavy for this job. Cut it into 1/2" squares to make lay-down an easy matter. Ideally you would use 2-4 ounce cloth (per square yard). Best laminating resin is West System.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0044 (3).JPG
Views:	311
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	143423Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0101.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	143424Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0082.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	143425Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0039.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	143426Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0044.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	143427

David

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    Is glass cloth fiberglass cloth? Will this pictured below be correct? What 2 part epoxy resin do you guys recommend?

Leave a comment:

replied
    So remove the strips and screws after the epoxy resin and cloth on inside has cured?
    Yup. Then a thin layer of saturated glass cloth on the outside, some sanding, priming, identification of dings, filling with air-dry putty, sanding, priming, cursing your clumsy hands, paint, touch-up weathering, swearing to God you'll be more attentive next time, clear coat, and you're good to go.

Idiot!

David
    The Horrible

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    So remove the strips and screws after the epoxy resin and cloth on inside has cured?

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    Awesome! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

replied
    Manfred, machine screws or self tapping screws?
    Like this:

Name:	DSCF4148.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	143413

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    Glad i could help, it's pretty much the same way as David does, maybe he can enlighten you with some pics for more guidance.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    Manfred, machine screws or self tapping screws?

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied
    Guys, thanks for the encouragement, and Manfred thats the guidance I need too, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• MFR1964
    replied
    This happens to us all, as for fixing this, take some small copper strips to get the broken part in line to the hull, fixade the strips with some machinescrews, take some glasscloth and epoxy resin to reinforce it from within.
    Repare the crack and holes from the machinescrews at the outside with 2K bondo, recribe the lines and you are back in business.
    Inspect your SD from all sides, lexan doesn't like hard hits, use a one light source like a flashlight, this will reveill if there are cracks near the ends.

Manfred.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied

Name:	image_44449.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	143403
    Last edited by redboat219; 09-08-2020, 01:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• trout
    replied
    Ouch, sorry that happened.

Leave a comment:

• biggsgolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...