I spy!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • greenman407
    replied
    I SPY a teensy, weency submarine. What is it???
    Click image for larger version

Name:	313gf7s.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	66166Click image for larger version

Name:	2133hp4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	66167

    Leave a comment:


  • Von Hilde
    replied
    that would be more likely, than keeping something out security wise, or restraining the boat. Perhaps a guard to retain some sort of electronic signal, emitting from a powerful sonar transducer's radiation, or something like that. The net appears to be rather fine, like mesh, or screene, and its only across the pointy end (bow, for you nauticle types) I wonder who is holding on to the ends of the cable

    Leave a comment:


  • trout
    replied
    Well, since we are all guessing....I would say it is duck hunting, Russian style!

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    Search me. Hey, I just put up the pictures, you dont think I know any of this stuff...........do you?

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Degaussing facility/range?

    Leave a comment:


  • redboat219
    replied
    Emergency crash barrier?


    Could be a security net to keep out divers or mini subs.

    Leave a comment:


  • roedj
    replied
    Originally posted by greenman407
    I SPY an Oscar. Whats the net for in front of it?
    New top secret Russian trawler?

    Dan

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    I SPY an Oscar. Whats the net for in front of it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Oscar net.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	66137

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    I beg to differ with Von here. The bow shot, that led this thread, is of the forward ballast tank area. Not pressure hull. The only differential pressure this area of the hull sees is a consequence of blowing ballast water out, wave action, close aboard test shots (trials shock tests), and the occasional broach. The metal gauge around the ballast tank groups is thinner than pressure hull.

    The oil-canning observed is real, and an artifact of use, not construction.

    David
    Last edited by Kazzer; 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM. Reason: sp. consiquence NB spell checker is ON

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    Good observations.

    Leave a comment:


  • Von Hilde
    replied
    sonar transducer, and the oil canning is an illiusion caused by the reflection of the sky and building in the hi gloss paint. The hi lites that give it the oil can effect are from the weld seams distorting the reflections. The steel used up in the forward section of the bow is quite thick since the huge ammount of pressure on it, having a zillion ton vessel pushing thru the dense water at depth. I notice, what appears to be a lot of runs in the paint, between the top coat and the bottom paint. I wonder if thats just water marks from rain or dew, or shoddy craftsmanship. Most likely not the latter, since the Japanese are a crafty bunch of people, and wouldnt let a detail like that slip thru the cracks.

    Leave a comment:


  • redboat219
    replied
    Any idea what the bulb at the base of the bottom rudder is for?

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    Looks like it dont it. Actually this is a Japanese museum sub on display outside the Japanese ministry of defence. Heres a few more pictures of it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Japanese museum sub prop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	65793Click image for larger version

Name:	Japanese museum sub.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	65794

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by redboat219
    688s? How come there's oil-canning under the bow?
    Non-pressure hull areas are thin stuff. Subject to deformation by wave action and broaching for the camera.

    David

    Leave a comment:


  • redboat219
    replied
    688s? How come there's oil-canning under the bow?

    Leave a comment:

Working...