I spy!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • greenman407
    replied
    I SPY something unusual. This is the USS Grampus and the Red arrow is pointing to a dent where a practice Anti submarine torpedo has hit. All well and good. But what I want to know is what is that streamlined fairing coming vertically out of the side of the sail?.Click image for larger version

Name:	grampusss523torpedodent.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	63382
    Last edited by greenman407; 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Did some smart-ass graft in an I-53? Slick work, though.

    David,

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    I SPY something that doesnt make sense!! Note these two pictures:Click image for larger version

Name:	lesurcouf.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	63121Click image for larger version

Name:	surcouf front quarter.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	63120
    Why does the shape of the bow in the first photo not match the second picture??? It was suggested that perhaps the first picture is a model? I was going to say that the shape of the bow in the first picture reminds me of the BISMARK.
    Last edited by greenman407; 07-13-2011, 11:44 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    That man gets the purple pinguin! Oh, by the way Dave, Whats that bumpy thingy in the back on that sub for anyway? Always a winner here at the Caswell forum! Next!
    Last edited by greenman407; 06-27-2011, 03:44 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    No life-jackets, no safety-swimmer, reversible cleats, plate type salvage fittings, T-section safety track. Looks like an American sub from the 60-70's. Ain't a diesel boat. Very big boat. Gotta be TRITON! Looks like mail drop-off/pick-up.

    Could this be the single surfacing Capt. Beach did to off-load a sick crewman during the famous, 'round-the-world-under-the-sea' cruise?

    David

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    I SPY an unusual view! From what submarine is it? Be careful!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dont know.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	62835
    Last edited by greenman407; 06-27-2011, 07:39 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    It is none other than the NR-1

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    I SPY a submarine tied up to a pier in the background. What is it??Click image for larger version

Name:	31220937_c862d45419_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	62819

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Not necessarily. In the 50's and 60's several diesel boats were outfitted with linear arrays on only one side. Evaluation units; early versions of what would become PUFFS and eventually the WAA systems in use today by the USA.

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    Thats possible. But if its on one side and not the other that would rule out sonar, ........I think.

    Leave a comment:


  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Originally posted by greenman407
    I SPY SOMETHING that I dont know what it is! HELP ME! [ATTACH=CONFIG]8004[/ATTACH] What is that long hump sticking out of the sail on the port side???[ATTACH=CONFIG]8005[/ATTACH] Here is something similar on the starboard side of this one.
    ... or is one of the two shots flopped?

    David

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    I SPY SOMETHING that I dont know what it is! HELP ME! Click image for larger version

Name:	torbay43oi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	62569 What is that long hump sticking out of the sail on the port side???Click image for larger version

Name:	bsub3_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	62570 Here is something similar on the starboard side of this one.

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    This Borei was built using a Akula II bow. That makes the Borei the worlds most heavily armed Ballistic Missile submarine as far as cruise missiles and torpedos

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    I SPY a picture of a Borei class Russian ballistic missile submarines bow. Recognize it? It was removed from a cancelled submarines construction and grafted on to this Borei. What type of Russian submarine was it? I will give you a hint. It wasnt from another Borei.Click image for larger version

Name:	borei torp hatches.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	62457

    Leave a comment:


  • greenman407
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rfspskov003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	62359
    After I heard that it was believed that this was a picture of two subs close together , I zoomed in closely but I don't see it myself. So I thought that I would put several sub pictures in here at the same time so that maybe we could tell. Only three Russian project subs had the Passive sonar towing reel above the rudder. The Akula, Victor and Sierra. If you look at the limber holes forward of the sail in the first picture, they don't match the Akula(second picture). Also the slope of the back of the sail doesn't match the Akula Either. However if you look at the third picture of a Sierra II everything seems to match.The slightly flat to slightly forward slope on the front of the sail and matching limber holes. Of course the sail on the Sierra I is a different shape and the Victors deck is flat. So I'm going to put my money on the Sierra II. Any for or against?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Nerpa.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	62358
    Akula from port side
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sierra_2_class.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	62357
    Sierra II
    Last edited by greenman407; 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...