How To Adapt The 'New' 2.4gHz Gear To R/C Submarines

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Last night I spent time soldering my new RG178 Coazial Cable to my Fly Sky FS-R6B 2.4 MHz Receiver.

I am here to say that everything seems to have gone well!

https://youtu.be/JDlndXIAv3I

My video show the system in operation with a servo attached.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat."

​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Folks,

I hate to sound like one of those bleeding deacon know it all's, but I've been doing it for 6 years now.

IF you don't have an IPx connector on your RX, you're going to want to pig tail the RX side with a male/female SMB connector.

It's not a matter of if, but when the antenna gets damaged and needs replacement. The skin on that RG178 is THIN.

Unless of course you LIKE soldering to your receiver board on occasion!

I took a hit in the Antenna mast that was hidden in an Aluminum tube from a careless driver which bent said tube perforating the skin. Capillary action and water ingress into the dry hull ended the day.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Read my article here, which was meant as an addition to Dave's original article that gave us 2.4ghz.

2.4GHz for the RC Submariner….the next step.

Ed
    Ed,

Thank you very much for your input and knowledge on this subject matter. Especially your link! Very interesting reading.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by neitosub
    Hi Rob,

Out of curiosity, is the brass tube glued to the antenna? I wonder what its purpose is.

Nate

Folks,

I hate to sound like one of those bleeding deacon know it all's, but I've been doing it for 6 years now.

IF you don't have an IPx connector on your RX, you're going to want to pig tail the RX side with a male/female SMB connector.

It's not a matter of if, but when the antenna gets damaged and needs replacement. The skin on that RG178 is THIN.

Unless of course you LIKE soldering to your receiver board on occasion!

I took a hit in the Antenna mast that was hidden in an Aluminum tube from a careless driver which bent said tube perforating the skin. Capillary action and water ingress into the dry hull ended the day.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Read my article here, which was meant as an addition to Dave's original article that gave us 2.4ghz.

2.4GHz for the RC Submariner….the next step.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Hi Rob,

Out of curiosity, is the brass tube glued to the antenna? I wonder what its purpose is.

Nate

Nate,

The antenna wire itself is soldered to the brass tube right at the top and that is it. Romel (redboat219) has link that is very interesting. I also checked in with David M. and he said to just do the coaxial cable the way he has the photo laid out, and that is the way i will do mine.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied

Nate

Leave a comment:

• neitosub
    replied
    Hi Rob,

Nate

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    cheapsub. Thank you photo and the link and your input!

My 4 channel 2.4 MHz Radio came with (6) RX (receivers) just like the photos below!

Click image for larger version  Name:	NAUTILUS 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	169203Click image for larger version  Name:	NAUTILUS 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.6 KB ID:	169204

Click image for larger version  Name:	NAUTILUS 5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	169205Click image for larger version  Name:	NAUTILUS 6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	169206

They do NOT have the button adaptor on the receivers. My new coaxial cable will be soldered in the same way at the receiver as per top photo.I was hoping David M. might chime in on this! For now I am going to do the antenna tip (no brass tubing) the same way that Davids photo shows.

I think we have beet this subject matter enough, and I need to get going on it! We will know if I am right or wrong by testing!!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• cheapsub
    replied
    Remove the tube, do as Dave did, to keep the antenna upright.
    This is what I have.
    up to more than meter long.
    Sorry is from China
    if you are nuts like me , always could add a button on the rx, side way pins too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201202_232155.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	169201
    Last edited by cheapsub; 02-02-2023, 04:45 PM. Reason: Info

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    The photo below shows how my 2.4 MHz receiver antenna is set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NAUTILUS 5.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	169190

The below photo shows how David M. explained how to do the coaxial cable for the 2.4 MHz antenna.

Name:	NAUTILUS 6.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	169191

My question would be? Is there any reason I need to solder a 3/16" piece of tubing to my new antenna install, or can I just follow what David M. has laid out?

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Rob,
    RG178 is RG178 is RG178.

Bob has in stock ready to go with IP adaptor (s/b on the RX board).
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for chiming in!

Name:	NAUTILUS 3.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	169169

Name:	NAUTILUS 4.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	169170

My receivers do not have that IP adaptor, They are soldered. So I could not use the ones that Bob has. But it sounds like the RG178 coaxial cable I have coming will work!

Thanks again for the advice Ed!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• QuarterMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    QUESTION:

Will this Coaxial Cable work for the 2.4 MHz Receiver?

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a15060...cable+diameter

Thank you for the input.

Rob
    Rob,
    RG178 is RG178 is RG178.

Bob has in stock ready to go with IP adaptor (s/b on the RX board).

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    QUESTION:

Will this Coaxial Cable work for the 2.4 MHz Receiver?

Thank you for the input.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Conca6368
    replied
    Is it possible to run deeper than periscope depth using a similar set up or are we limited to surface running?
    I've got a Thunder Tiger neptune sb-1 submarine with a different camera to the original which I have the aerial extended on a tether to the surface.
    Could I do the same with 2.4ghz aerial?

Leave a comment:

• cheapsub
    replied
    If anyone need help, soldering a long extension antenna. I can help. PM me.

Leave a comment:

• redboat219
    replied
    Option for extending the antennae coaxial cable from the receiver.

Leave a comment:

Working...