Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bwi 971

yes.....a nono?

Redboat219 also made the remark.

Works for my Akula.
    Could we see a video of your Akula on the bench and in the water?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

yes.....a nono?

Redboat219 also made the remark.

Works for my Akula.
      Angle-keeper (use mandatory) on the stern planes. Depth-keeper (use optional) on the bow/fairwater planes.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

When it works it will be open source.....available for everyone.
        Hate to be a bubble buster (no pun intended), but those switching over to the FrSky hardware will have this built into the Stabilization receivers anyway. Working on it now.

After all the Drone boys have been using Flight Controllers for years.

I used the Stabilization for pitch Control on my JETI hardware. With adjustable gain.

Jump to time 4:05

A Detailed Interview With an RC Sub Captain - WARNING: Techy Talk Ahead!

FWIW, no one seemed interested in in this solution to date. The thought being to eliminate hardware and complexity as opposed to increasing it.

I do commend your effort look forward to you're endeavor and making it available. It's always important, and fun, to push boundaries. Though to be honest I doubt you'll get many followers due to the simple fact that 80% of them have trouble with installing a commercially provided AD2. Ask Bob how many tech calls he gets with it.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• bwi 971
          Captain
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Hate to be a bubble buster (no pun intended), but those switching over to the FrSky hardware will have this built into the Stabilization receivers anyway. Working on it now.

After all the Drone boys have been using Flight Controllers for years.

I used the Stabilization for pitch Control on my JETI hardware. With adjustable gain.

Jump to time 4:05

A Detailed Interview With an RC Sub Captain - WARNING: Techy Talk Ahead!

FWIW, no one seemed interested in in this solution to date. The thought being to eliminate hardware and complexity as opposed to increasing it.

I do commend your effort look forward to you're endeavor and making it available. It's always important, and fun, to push boundaries. Though to be honest I doubt you'll get many followers due to the simple fact that 80% of them have trouble with installing a commercially provided AD2. Ask Bob how many tech calls he gets with it.
          No offense taken.
          It's a good solution for you guys, but here in Belgium, 900MHz is not allowed.

It's indeed part of the fun to push boundaries. In addition, an airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

Regarding the installation, I understand, although my professional education consisted of grease, oil, heavy fuel, and marine gasoline. Spanners were my tools; screwdrivers were only used as crowbars. Just four weeks ago, I had no clue how to write a single line of code.

I want the sub to follow my instructions directly, not manipulate it until it does what I want. Commands like diving, surfacing, reaching specific depths, performing a 'crazy Ivan,' initiating an emergency surface, and more. For me, that's where the fun lies in operating a sub.

My aim isn't to persuade the establishment to adopt Arduino technology, but perhaps the next generation can use it as a start.

Practical wisdom is only to be learned in the school of experience.
          "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• bwi 971
            Captain
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by redboat219

Could we see a video of your Akula on the bench and in the water?
            You can find it in my built report.
            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pursuing an alternate path to the same result. Granted the new radios seem to be taking care of a lot of our issues, but as he said, they are not feasible for all skippers, so this makes total sense for many.

And, hey, even if it didn't make sense, bravo for taking on the challenge, just because...

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

ARDUINO at it's best!

Click image for larger version

Name:	INMOOV 117.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	175099 Click image for larger version

Name:	INMOOV 105.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	175100

There is a significant amount of code writing to do. But when completed, Arduino is the way to go! You just have to take it one step at a time.

Rob
                "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Nathan
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jan 2023

For completeness, there is an existing submarine control system out there: https://www.ardusub.com/ I don't know that much about it, but it might be really useful as is, or it might have good learnings that can be used elsewhere.

Comment

• bwi 971
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2015

I adjusted my BOD cfr feetback of Readboat and David meaning I changed the pitch controll to the aft planes and depth control to the fwd planes, also added the componends I (will) use

Receiver: (CORONA RD8220II, tested and working)
                    This component receives signals from the RC transmitter, providing input to the control system.

Arduino Nano: (ARDUINO NANO EVERY, so far so good)
                    Each channel from the receiver is connected to an Arduino Nano, which processes the input signals and generates output commands for the various control surfaces and components.

Channel 1 - Rudder Control: (HEXTRONIK HXT900 tested and working, Capacitors on order)
                    This channel controls the rudder. To have a "setpoint rudder" indicating the desired rudder angle and an "output servo" that adjusts the rudder's position accordingly.

Channel 4 - Thrust Control: (ESC ROXXY 930, BL-motor ROXXY 3529 tested and working)
                    This channel controls the thrust of the submarine. To have a "setpoint thrust" representing the desired thrust level, and an "output ESC" that regulates the power to the propulsion system to achieve the set thrust level.

Channel 3 - Depth Control: (HX710 to do, on order)
                    This channel adjusts the depth of the submarine. Using a pressure sensor and a PID controller to control the FwdPlanes servo, which manages the depth of the submarine.

Pitch Control: (MPU6050, tested and working)
                    The pitch control system uses an accelerometer and Gyroscope sensor and a PID controller to adjust the position of the AftPlanes servo. This helps control the pitch (tilting) of the submarine.

Ballast Pump Control: ( DRV8871, to do, on order)
                    The ballast control system manages the ballast system, which controls the submarine's buoyancy. The functions include "filling," "off," and "empty," allowing to control the water ballast tank.

Logic 1 Diving: (to do)
                    Ballast Pump Filling: When the "Diving" command is received on Channel 5 ((indicating the desire to dive), enable the ballast pump to fill the tank with water.
                    Timer: Set a timer for XX seconds to control how long the pump should operate.
                    Pitch and Depth Control: After XX seconds, activate the pitch and depth control systems. This will involve using the PID controllers for the Aft Planes servo and depth control using the pressure sensor.

Logic 2 surfacing: (to do)
                    Ballast Pump Discharge: When the "Surfacing" command is received on Channel 5 (indicating the desire to surface), enable the ballast pump to discharge water from the tank.
                    Overrule PID Controllers: During this time, set both the forward and aft dive planes to XX°, effectively overruling the normal PID control.
                    Timer: Set a timer for XX seconds to control how long the pump should operate and the planes should be at XX°.
                    Stop Pump and Reset Planes: After XX seconds, stop the ballast pump and reset the forward and aft dive planes to their neutral positions.
                    Disable Plane Control: Disable the forward and aft dive plane control systems, so they no longer respond to pitch and depth commands.​

On the arduino nano I have room to trigger 3 aditional logic's, not yet determined.
                    Logic 3 Optional
                    Logic 4 Optional
                    Logic 5 Optional

Bart
                    "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• bwi 971
                      Captain
                      • Jan 2015

While adding components to the Arduino Nano, I carefully monitored the available pins. It's important to note that not all pins are equally suitable for specific signals. For instance, pins marked with a '~' symbol (~x) are designed for sending PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signals, which are commonly used for controlling servos and Electronic Speed Controllers (ESCs). Additionally, 'D' denotes digital pins, and 'A' indicates analog pins.

Sticks:
                      • Channel 1: Rudder
                      • Channel 3: Depth
                      • Channel 4: Throttle

Two-way Toggle Switch:
                      • Channel 2: Logic 1 Dive
                      • Channel 5: Logic 2 Surface
                      • Channel 6: Logic 3 Optional
                      • Channel 7: Logic 4 Optional
                      • Channel 8: Logic 5 Optional

Arduino:
                      • Pin TX
                      • Pin RX
                      • Pin RESET
                      • Pin GND
                      • Pin D2 (channel 1 Receiver pin) - Rudder
                      • Pin ~D3 (channel 1 Rudder Servo pin) - Rudder
                      • Pin D4 (channel 3 Receiver pin) - Depth
                      • Pin ~D5 (channel 3 FwdPlane Servo pin) - Depth
                      • Pin ~D6 (channel 4 ESC pin) - Throttle
                      • Pin D7 (channel 4 Receiver pin) - Throttle
                      • Pin D8 (DRV8871 IN1 pin) - Ballast pump
                      • Pin ~D9 (DRV8871 PWM pin) - Ballast pump
                      • Pin ~D10 (AftPlane servo pin) - Auto-Pitch
                      • Pin D11 (HX710B SCLK) - Depth
                      • Pin D12 (HX710B DOUT) - Depth
                      • Pin VIN
                      • Pin GND
                      • Pin RESET
                      • Pin +5V
                      • Pin A7 (Water detection)
                      • Pin A6 (channel 8 Receiver pin) - Logic 5 Optional
                      • Pin A5 (MPU6050 SCL pin) - Auto-Pitch
                      • Pin A4 (MPU6050 SDA pin) - Auto-Pitch
                      • Pin A3 (channel 7 Receiver pin) - Logic 4 Optional
                      • Pin A2 (channel 6 Receiver pin) - Logic 3 Optional
                      • Pin A1 (channel 5 Receiver pin) - Logic 2 Surface
                      • Pin A0 (channel 2 Receiver pin) - Logic 1 Dive
                      • Pin AREF
                      • Pin +3V3 (MPU6050 VCC pin) - Auto-Pitch
                      • Pin D13 (DRV8871 IN2 pin) - Ballast pump

Mindmap:
                      • Lost signal (LOGIC 2 Surface)
                      • Low voltage (LOGIC 2 Surface)
                      • Water detection (LOGIC 2 Surface)
                      ​Grtz,
                      Bart
                      "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Sep 2015

No offense taken.
                        It's a good solution for you guys, but here in Belgium, 900MHz is not allowed.

It's indeed part of the fun to push boundaries. In addition, an airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

Regarding the installation, I understand, although my professional education consisted of grease, oil, heavy fuel, and marine gasoline. Spanners were my tools; screwdrivers were only used as crowbars. Just four weeks ago, I had no clue how to write a single line of code.

I want the sub to follow my instructions directly, not manipulate it until it does what I want. Commands like diving, surfacing, reaching specific depths, performing a 'crazy Ivan,' initiating an emergency surface, and more. For me, that's where the fun lies in operating a sub.

My aim isn't to persuade the establishment to adopt Arduino technology, but perhaps the next generation can use it as a start.
                        The written word can always be interpreted incorrectly, two folks conversing allows true intent thru facial expression and vocal tone.

My only intent was for you to not get upset if no one follows the path, and that the regular modeler doesn't freak out and run thinking he needs to learn Arduino. I did use one to get my US Sub ID Beacon to flash the proper light sequence. Advanced programming such as yours is something I plan to tackle when I have the time. Working for the man sucks, but I like to pay bills lol.

So much can be done here, and the future is exciting for those of us passionate enough to not see these as mere "toy's".

Mean while Rob's got me thinking "Fembot", providing I don't end up in the ER in a compromising pose like Howard Wolowitz from the "Big Bang Theory"

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Alucard
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Aug 2023

Well said Quartermaster and i remember that episode, turn it off, lol, receptionist was great and I myself want to learn more about it when I have time.

Comment

• bwi 971
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2015

My preference was to create a PCB where all components would be integrated. While software aids were available, the challenge remained. I aimed for the smallest possible PCB footprint and chose screw terminal blocks for wiring due to their sturdiness, reducing the risk of loose wires caused by vibrations (imo, soldering is n°1, screw terminals comes second).

It's a delicate balance between space efficiency, component alignment, and trace routing. Components can be found in the software library, on the web, or you can use substitutes. The critical factor is the accuracy of the schematics. I had to start over multiple times because some component holes didn't appear when uploaded to the PCB manufacturer's website, which was quite frustrating.

Although most of these programs offer an auto-routing option, it often doesn't work as expected. I used FRITZING for PCB design, which is user-friendly, and GERBV to verify that everything is correctly displayed and dimensioned.

Anyway, here's what I came up with."

Have a nice day,
                            Bart

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image (27).jpg
Views:	182
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	175149
                            "Samuel Smiles"

Comment

• Albacore 569
                              Commander
                              • Sep 2020

What is a Arduino board?

Comment

• Alucard
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Aug 2023

Here is a Link to one with instructions, I am not suggesting you but this particular one, if you wish to get one but that it is the board with a tutorial amazon.com/ELEGOO-Project-Tutorial-Controller-Projects/dp/B01D8KOZF4/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=1338106991205447&hvadid=8363187 7479593&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=92771&hvnetw=o&h vqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83632557699499%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=19103_13351684&keywords=arduino+board& qid=1697990337&s=industrial&sr=1-3

Comment

Working...