X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Rob,

Well... I'll be snookered. I could have sworn that these were posted up for sale YEARS ago.

Here is the link to the download. Huge shoutout to Randy Sanders for creating these superb files:

Turtle (also called American Turtle) was the world's first submersible vessel with a documented record of use in combat. It was built in 1775 by American David Bushnell as a means of attaching explosive charges to ships in a harbor, for use against Royal Navy vessels occupying American harbors during the American Revolutionary War. Connecticut Governor Jonathan Trumbull recommended the invention to George Washington, who provided funds and support for the development and testing of the machine. These superb 3D files were created by Randy Sanders and come scaled to 1/12. It builds into a beautiful display model, or, scaled up, this boat would be a great candidate for a creative individual to RC. Hull comes in one solid piece, but by adjusting your printer settings to something like 7 or 8 walls, you can print them hollow without any issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turtle.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	168748
    Attached Files

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Today I finished putting my rendition of the TURTLE submarine together.

Name:	THE TURTLE 2.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	168966

Name:	THE TURTLE 3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	168967

This build has turned out to be just a static model. The files that used do not give a correct rendition of the original Turtle. It dose however show a pretty close rendition of the interior. There are a couple of photos posted on this blog that show the actual correct version of this boat.

Name:	TURTLE 1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	168968

I will most likely do the color scheme similar to the one posted above. I am going to set it up so that I do both the TURTLE and the ICTINEO ll at the same time.

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

I don't think any of the Turtle drawings and recreations are regarded anything more than a best guess based on descriptions of the prototype, so lots of artistic license with this boat.

I do find it puzzling that pretty much all the renditions I've seen seem to show construction like a cask/barrel, which are designed to keep fluid and pressure from within rather than external pressure out.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
          I don't think any of the Turtle drawings and recreations are regarded anything more than a best guess based on descriptions of the prototype, so lots of artistic license with this boat.

I do find it puzzling that pretty much all the renditions I've seen seem to show construction like a cask/barrel, which are designed to keep fluid and pressure from within rather than external pressure out.
          I've done a fair amount of reading on this boat, and in some correspondence between Bushnell and Jeferson the hull was described as two hollowed out tree halves banded together with iron hoops. Not the work of a Cooper; not a traditional 'barrel'.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

That method of construction would make a lot more sense.

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Subculture
              That method of construction would make a lot more sense.
              Subculture,

There is certainly a lot of different methods of Contruction of the Turtle. The STL files that I used was more of a look inside version, so he needed space to install the hinge for opening which certainly had some effect on the back side of the Turtle!?

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Yesterday I applied the flat primer to the Turtle.

Name:	TURTLE 9.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	169269

After the primer dries I will apply the Rust-Oleum Chalked Cocoa Bean as my base color. After that has cured I will start on the final trim colors.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

I found time today to apply the final base color coat on the Turtle.

Name:	TURTLE 10.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	169341

Once the base brown coat has cured I will do a little trim finish work as well. Then comes the final clear flat coat and this project is complete!

Rob

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

It looks great Rob... Years back I learned something from the model railroad guys.. I don't know if it could be applied to your project but they take India ink and dilute it down . Then they put it in a spray bottle and spray it over the surface of what they're building... It could be a locomotive, box car maybe even rocks and mountains ... the India ink settles into all the cracks and crevices and they just pop out into reality
                    ... Maybe something to experiment with on your trial prints..BG
                    Last edited by Bob Gato; 02-07-2023, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                      It looks great Rob... Years back I learned something from the model railroad guys.. I don't know if it could be applied to your project but they take India ink and dilute it down . Then they put it in a spray bottle and spray it over the surface of what they're building... It could be a locomotive, box car maybe even rocks and mountains ... the Indian ink settles into all the cracks and crevices and they just pop out into reality
                      ... Maybe something to experiment with on your trial prints..BG
                      Thank you for the tip Bob!

You are talking about something like this Ink? And then just experiment with the dilution strength!?

I am about to embark on the weathering and accent applications, which is going to be a whole new learning process for this old geezer! I am pumping through a lot of Davids work to gain some knowledge.

Rob
                      ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Bob Gato
                        Captain
                        • Feb 2019

Yes, Rob...that's the stuff. They dilute it with iso alcohol. I have pump sprayed it on or/ and brushed it...This vid will give you the idea... sorry, I'm on an airliner with sketchy wifi and can't search for the best YouTube... but it should help- BG

Comment

• wlambing
                          Commander
                          • Nov 2020

Rob,

You could also use a thinned wash of either Testor's flat black enamel, Testor's flat black acrylic, or Tamiya "panel line" acrylic paint. All of this will accomplish the "pop" to bring out your details.
                          Have fun!!

Bill

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Thank you guys! (Bob & Bill)

I will give both a try! All my indoor paint has got to be with water base, and I do Prefer acrylics. I will certainly try both suggestions.

Name:	TURTLE 11.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	169420

Name:	TURTLE 12.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	169421

I have just set up my air brush spraying station, which is ideal for water base acrylics. This will all be new stuff for me! Lots of learning will be needed.

Bob! Thank you for taking time out of your flight to post up the YouTube video link. Hope you are having a good trip. Thanks again!

Rob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Rob! Before you start blasting away on that poor little TURTLE, first experiment on a discarded hull you're never going to finish (or -- if you've lost your will to live -- your spouse's Hummel figure collection). Slather the test article with your painting/weathering ideas. And, once you have a handle on it, direct your wrath onto the TURTLE.

I have spoken!

David
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                Rob! Before you start blasting away on that poor little TURTLE, first experiment on a discarded hull you're never going to finish (or -- if you've lost your will to live -- your spouse's Hummel figure collection). Slather the test article with your painting/weathering ideas. And, once you have a handle on it, direct your wrath onto the TURTLE.

I have spoken!

David
                                I don't know if you recall or not, but you worked with me on my HL HUNLEY finish work!

Name:	P3100010.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	169428Click image for larger version

Name:	P3110003.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	169429

Name:	P3110004.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	169430Click image for larger version

Name:	P3130006.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	169431

Your taking the time to work with me on this project really made the Hunley! My best finish job yet!

Thanks David,

Rob

Comment

Working...