Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DrSchmidt
    It's oing to be interesting how that oldskool boat maneuvers under water.....I guess better than the Turtle
    By sculling the rudder Big Dave was able to get his r/c TURTLE to spin on its own axis!

An r/c TURTLE is on my bucket-list.

This museum piece is static and done decades ago. Based on a Frank Tinsley plan:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0011.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	168892

David

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

By sculling the rudder Big Dave was able to get his r/c TURTLE to spin on its own axis!

An r/c TURTLE is on my bucket-list.

This museum piece is static and done decades ago. Based on a Frank Tinsley plan:

Name:	PICT0011.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	168892

David
      David,

When you find the time to build the TURTLE the way it should be built, I hope you post the build like you always do! That stupid build that I am doing is going to be a static model only that will show the interior to a certain degree of authenticity. I will really be looking forward to your build!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

David,

When you find the time to build the TURTLE the way it should be built, I hope you post the build like you always do! That stupid build that I am doing is going to be a static model only that will show the interior to a certain degree of authenticity. I will really be looking forward to your build!

Rob
        You're very kind.

The good looks of my model -- why it looks so 'right' -- must be placed at the feet of one of America's greatest speculative technical illustrators of all time, Frank Tinsley. His work had graced so many books and magazines from the past; it was his work that introduced so many to the wonders of the machine-world, and what science and good, sound engineering could accomplish. For more on that man and his work, I recommend a long sit-down at these sites:

The Art of Frank Tinsley – Never Was (neverwasmag.com)

frank tinsley - Search Images (bing.com)

David​
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

You're very kind.

The good looks of my model -- why it looks so 'right' -- must be placed at the feet of one of America's greatest speculative technical illustrators of all time, Frank Tinsley. His work had graced so many books and magazines from the past; it was his work that introduced so many to the wonders of the machine-world, and what science and good, sound engineering could accomplish. For more on that man and his work, I recommend a long sit-down at these sites:

The Art of Frank Tinsley – Never Was (neverwasmag.com)

frank tinsley - Search Images (bing.com)

David​
          Thank you very much for posting this great information! Mr. Tinsley was a gifted thinker and illustrator for sure. And really looking at some of illustrations he was certainly a head of his time. He saw the world we live in today!

I will certainly spend some down time reading about him and his works. In my browsing, I also notice some of your great work David!

Rob
          Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-26-2023, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Thank you very much for posting this great information! Mr. Tinsley was a gifted thinker and illustrator for sure. And really looking at some of illustrations he was certainly a head of his time. He saw the world we live in today!

I will certainly spend some down time reading about him and his works.

Rob
            While looking for technical illustrators of the wonderful, add this to your list: Fred Freeman, Rolf Klep, R.A. Smith, Steve Hickman, Chesley Bonestell, Scott Lowther, Jack Coggins, Frank Kelly Freas, Frank R Paul, Hurbert Rogers and Ron Miller.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

While looking for technical illustrators of the wonderful, add this to your list: Fred Freeman, Rolf Klep, R.A. Smith, Steve Hickman, Chesley Bonestell, Scott Lowther, Jack Coggins, Frank Kelly Freas, Frank R Paul, Hurbert Rogers and Ron Miller.
              Thank you David,

I will certainly read up on these gentlemen. I do not recognize any of them! Looking forward to the research! I think one more name should be added to this list, and that is David Merriman lll.
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-26-2023, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

My rattle can base colors arrived today! Dark brown, light brown, and the matt clear coat.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 69.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	168946

Name:	ICTINEO ll 70.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	168947

Along with the rattle cans I will be using water base acrylic paints, and in some areas Teaters enamel paints. Along with the paints I will be using an assortment of paint brushes.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 71.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	168948

After going over several different photos of the original boat, I have chosen the boat colors as per the photo below!

Name:	ictineo_005.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	168950

The copper that is shown in the photo on the upper stern section and on the two side panels forward and aft, may be accomplished with the copper enamel paints! Not sure! But I may go the extra mile and go with thin copper sheets to achieve a better authentic look.

SPECAL NOTE: Do to the nature of the STL files that I had on this boat that show four bands around the hull (hull section attachment) which obviously the actual boat does not have, I may either blend them in the same color as the hull or darken them to indicate them as a steel band!

As soon as our temperatures get up to about 70 degrees here in Arizona, I will begin the paint work!

Rob

Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good preparation apparent here, Rob. Get some varied color (metallic) 'rub-n'-buff.'

Amazon.com: AMACO Rub n Buff Wax Metallic Finish 4 Color Kit - Antique Gold Silver Leaf Gold Leaf Ebony 15ml Tubes - Versatile Gilding Wax for Finishing Furniture Antiquing and Restoration - 4 Rub and Buff Colors
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

After looking at some videos as to how the AMACO Rub n Buff Wax works I can see where it would add some very interesting color high lights. I am going to order it and give it a try! Thank you very much for the heads up on it and the Amazon site for the purchase.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Today I managed to finally make my final finish and color for the ICTINEO ll!

Name:	ICTINEO ll 70.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	169236

I tried different primers and colored finishes.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 71.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	169237

The primer is at the bottom of the sample, and the final base color is at the top. It is Rust-o-leum Chalked Cocoa Bean brown flat finish. Tomorrow I will apply the primer now that our temperature will be in the 70's. I will be using the same finishing procedure and products on my Turtle build.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

With our temperatures here in AZ at about 72 degrees today I decided to apply the flat grey primer coat to my Ictineo.

I used the Rust-Oleum Flat Grey Primer for this procedure. Ounce this has cured I will be applying the Rust-Oleum Chalked Cocoa bean brown as my final base coat color. After this finish cures comes the final trim finish work!

https://youtu.be/FGlJC-W8xss

The above video also shows the Turtle with the primer coat as well!

Rob

​​​​​​​

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

With the warmer temperature's today I was able to apply the final base color coat to the Ictineo ll.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 73.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	169339

After the finish has cured I will do some trim finish work after which will come the final flat clear coat.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Started on the final trim work on the Ictineo ll.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 74.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	169512

I have added the 3D printed panel sections on the stern section to represent the copper panels.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 75.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	169513

This is one shot that shows the final trim work completion.

Name:	ICTINEO ll 76.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	169514

This is the photo of the completed ICTINEO ll! It has been a real learning process right from the get-go. The print files had to be re-engineered to achieve the size that I wanted and to design the WTC that would provide the propulsion system as well as the chain operated rudder system. The first testing in the water proved to be a dud. It had very little forward movement and no reverse movement with the actual prop that was designed for this boat. If I decide to operate this boat any further in the water, I would certainly need to do away with the current prop and add a more modern design.

As for now we will move on to another project. I do appreciate everyone's input, suggestions, and above all help in building this boat. Thank you all!

Rob

Comment

• JHapprich
                              Captain
                              • Oct 2017

Your prop is still missing the wooden blades. You are running the hub, only. Have a look at contemporay propellers. Add some, maybe clear plastic duds, and that fish will move!

Anyways, nice build!

Jörg
                              Last edited by JHapprich; 02-10-2023, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
                                Admiral
                                • Dec 2008

How about some LED light to illuminate the portholes. I do believe the periscope looking thing on top of the bow is a lamp .
                                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

Working...