Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

I finally made the decision as to how the 2.5" WTC will be set up for the SM UC 5 U-BOAT!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT PRO VIEW.jpg Views:	27 Size:	60.1 KB ID:	165944
    The photo show what the stern section on my SM UC 5 U-Boot looks like with 3 bladed prop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 26.jpg Views:	24 Size:	59.6 KB ID:	165945

This photo shows the components that will go into my WTC.

Transmitter: VEX FM 6 channel.
    Receiver: 6 Channel FM
    Motor: 900KV Brushless in the wet with 27mm 3 Bladed Resin Prop.
    Receiver: Bi-directional 40A ESC.
    Rudder/ Dive Plane Control: 2- Hitec HS 82 MG Servos.
    On/Off Control: Heavy Duty Remote System.
    Power System: Venom 4000 20C 11.1 3 Cell Lipo Battery.

All WTC internal structural parts will be 3D printed.

The set up that I am building for the SM UC 5 is mostly for surface running and possible Dynamic Diving.

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Last edited by rwtdiver; 10-26-2022, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Tonight, I started on the component installation on the WTC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 28.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	165956

I have the brushless motor attached to the exterior of the end cap. It will be a straight shot to the prop!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

I am starting to fabricate and install the brass bushings 3/16" & 5/32" brass rod for the rudder and dive planes control.

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 30.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	165985

The stern section and control surface linkage will be a complicated a fare and will most likely be an exterior linkage set up!?

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 29.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	165986

I am also going to experiment with the same linear servo that I used on my Holland build. I did have to downsize the linear device to fit the HS 82 servos. No sure how this is going to work either!? Bu5t that is what this hobby is all about, learning with trial and error, do and re-do until you get it!!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

I realize some of the updates on my builds get a little mundane, but here are some more!

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 32.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	166161Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 33.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	166162

I have started to fabricate 3D print the WTC bulkheads and trays for holding the battery, servos, and other electronics!

Rob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Don't stop the updates, Rob! I know it can feel like you're posting into the void, but there are lots of people looking and, remember, this information will be here for decades and help untold numbers of people. We need more people to do what you're doing.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
              Don't stop the updates, Rob! I know it can feel like you're posting into the void, but there are lots of people looking and, remember, this information will be here for decades and help untold numbers of people. We need more people to do what you're doing.

Bob
              Thank you Bob,

I sometimes look back at some of the simple and not very interesting post that I do. And I think that most people are really not interested. Might be I will post up something that might help someone else, and if that is the case then that is good. We keep things moving!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

The battery bulk heads, and the battery compartment have been 3D printed and installed!

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 36.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	166214Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 37.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	166215

I also mounted the 900KV brushless motor to the WTC end cap.

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 35.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	166216Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 34.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	166217

I got the brushless BR2830 900KV motors (2) from Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) about a year ago, and they were going to be used on the Captain America Hydra Sub, but that did not happen. So, I am using one of them on the SM UC 5 sub build. Not sure how well the motor and the designed propeller will move this boat, but we will find out!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

My plan was to use my VEX 6 channel TX and the matching RX!

I ran into a problem with the VEX receiver that I had left over from another project! Based on how the SM UC 5 U-Boat will be used only in my swimming pool and not having a ballast system (possible Dynamic Diver) I am going to run this boat on a 2.4 radio system. The radio I already have is a FLY SKY FS-T4B 4 channel TX with the FS-R6B RX.

It's my understanding the 2.4 RX antenna can stay inside the WTC as long as the antenna is ABOVE the waterline. The SM UC 5 U-Boat WTC will not be going under water and the antenna will be above the boat running waterline!?

Rob
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 11-01-2022, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• neitosub
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Nov 2021

Hi Rob, as long as the 2.4ghz antenna is above the water, you’ll be getting signal. This means that the sub will be essentially a surface runner. If you were to dive dynamically, the signal will be lost when the WTC submerges, whether the throttle is cut automatically when this happens depends on your radio. In the setup that Bob uses, he has a failsafe system built into the radio that takes over during signal loss interval, if I remember correctly he has the control surfaces set to rise when the failsafe kicks in).

Nate

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
                      Hi Rob, as long as the 2.4ghz antenna is above the water, you’ll be getting signal. This means that the sub will be essentially a surface runner. If you were to dive dynamically, the signal will be lost when the WTC submerges, whether the throttle is cut automatically when this happens depends on your radio. In the setup that Bob uses, he has a failsafe system built into the radio that takes over during signal loss interval, if I remember correctly he has the control surfaces set to rise when the failsafe kicks in).

Nate
                      Hi Nate,

Thank you for your input. The SM UC 5 will for sure just be a surface runner! The motor and the prop size plus the distance I have to get it up to speed for dynamic diving dictates a surface runner. At this point I am going to start using the 2.4 systems and will most likely step up to a better radio system with the proper antenna extender.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

I have finally finished up the WTC bulk heads and mounting trays. Today was the final mounting tray for the RX, ESC, and the remote on/off switch.

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 46.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	166288Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 45.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	166289

I fabricated using TinkerCad what you could say is a soda straw. I will insert the 2.4 antenna inside this tube to put the antenna as high as possible inside the WTC.

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 44.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	166290Click image for larger version

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 42.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	166291

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 41.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	166292

Based on how the final hull will sit in the water, this design should keep the antenna well above the water line when the boat is running.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Today I spent some time working on the servo installation.

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 29.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	166325

My original plan was to fabricate and utilize a linear servo system. Due to the space required in the WTC that system did not work.

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 47.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	166326

Needless to say, we went back to the tried-and-true method of setting up the control linkages (two servo horns) This design will give me the spacing I need to link up to the stern dive planes and the rudder system!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Today I made some progress on the two servo installations for the rudder and dive planes.

Name:	SM UC 5 U-BOAT 48.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	166353

I lined up the control linkages and installed the brass sleeves for the bellow installation!

Rob

Comment

• Albacore 569
                              Commander
                              • Sep 2020

I love your project and its progress. You, Merriman and others display the steps & make it seem so easy. The trademark of a great modeler. What did you decide on the propulsion motor? Brush or brushless? Could you describe the strengths & weaknesses of each type & why you decided on one vs the other please?

What scale is the model in?

How much is it in cost to print out your hull and parts?

I have always wanted to build three models. A 1/30 Type XVIIB ( progressing), a French Arethuse class small attack sub. (progressing) . and last a WW1 American AL-10 submarine that we see in Ireland parked next t the USS Bushnell going out on anti- Uboat patrols. All about 55-61 inches length in 1/32 scale. I have a lot on the AL-1-4, and AL-9 to AL -11 reference material. (the Electric Boat Fore River design.

A AL-10 would be 61 inches long. What would that cost for a hull? Is it cheaper to buy a good 3d printer? But for just one boat? Advice please Rob.

Thank you!

Steve
                              Last edited by Albacore 569; 11-04-2022, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Albacore 569
                                I love your project and its progress. You, Merriman and others display the steps & make it seem so easy. The trademark of a great modeler. What did you decide on the propulsion motor? Brush or brushless? Could you describe the strengths & weaknesses of each type & why you decided on one vs the other please?

What scale is the model in?

How much is it in cost to print out your hull and parts?

I have always wanted to build three models. A 1/30 Type XVIIB ( progressing), a French Arethuse class small attack sub. (progressing) . and last a WW1 American AL-10 submarine that we see in Ireland parked next t the USS Bushnell going out on anti- Uboat patrols. All about 55-61 inches length in 1/32 scale. I have a lot on the AL-1-4, and AL-9 to AL -11 reference material. (the Electric Boat Fore River design.

A AL-10 would be 61 inches long. What would that cost for a hull? Is it cheaper to buy a good 3d printer? But for just one boat? Advice please Rob.

Thank you!

Steve
                                Thank you, Steve!

The motor that I am using on this boat is a BR2830 900kv brushless motor. I am using it because of space issues inside the WTC, and because I had already had this motor. And also, it was a much easier install. Note: Not sure how well this motor will do on this boat, but being I had it I went ahead and used it.

Tha scale on this boat as per the designer is approximately 1:96 scale CGTrader files.

The printed hull cost approximately $50.00 using Dremel White PLA. The approximate cost for the WTC was approximately $300.00 this included all electronics, the 3D printed interior parts, all misc. parts used to put it all together. I guess a good rounded off figure for the completed boat, $400.00 plus the TX $130.00 and of course the labor lots and lots of hours so far!!

Hope this will give you a rough idea what I have in this boat!

Rob

Comment

Working...