X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
    One cup seal will be fine, two bushings will be good, but not necessary. It would be beneficial to have one in the prop strut or one between the WTC and motor. I remember someone, might have been David or another founding father type that recommended at least two bushings along a. prop shaft.
    Thanks Tom,

I really appreciate your help and advice on my build!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

I just completed the complete replacement of the two existing drive shafts on my 80mm WTC!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL shaft seal 2.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	161132

In my opinion the drive shaft system on the 80mm WTC is a poor design! I explained it in a previous post if you want to know why.

Name:	ARKMODEL NEW SHAFT 1.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	161133

I used two new oil-filled bronze bushing and cup seals for the new drive shafts! They run very smooth with no vibration at all. I did a complete water test on the shafts at about 3' underwater and for about 8 to 10 min. run time. Reverse and forward at low speeds and high speeds! The end results, no vibrations, smooth operation, and most important NO LEAKS!

Rob

Comment

• JHapprich
        Captain
        • Oct 2017

Well done, Rob!

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

It sounds like Ron has removed the locking collar he used to place on these o-ring glands, perhaps he felt they were no longer required and saw it as an additional way to rationalise the construction of the modules.

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Subculture
            It sounds like Ron has removed the locking collar he used to place on these o-ring glands, perhaps he felt they were no longer required and saw it as an additional way to rationalise the construction of the modules.
            Thank you Jorg, the new design works very well! ( I am sorry about the spelling of Jorg. I have not figured out how to install the .. above the o in your name)

Subculture, if you would go back to post #82 of my blog it will explain why I changed out the exiting drive shaft in the end cap! I did not use any part of the existing shaft seal or bushings. I replaced them with new end cap bushing and used oil filled bronze bushings with cup seals! It is a complete new drive shaft system.

Rob
            Firemen can stand the heat"
            Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-23-2022, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Today I finished up the drive shaft system on my Type Vll.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL BRASS 1 PROP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	161171Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL NEW SHAFT 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	161172

I installed new brass sleeves to replace the existing. The new prop shaft now match up to the new motor shaft design in the end cap!

I forgot to add! I did a quick test run in the pool on the new shaft design and it ran as smooth as glass!!

Rob
              Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-24-2022, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

My Arkmodel Type VII boat is complete and in the final paint stage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL PAINT 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.5 KB ID:	161388Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL PAINT 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	161389

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL PAINT 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.8 KB ID:	161390

I chose to go with the Early U-552 detail and color scheme. The kit came with the decal for this boat. Before anyone gets into a huff as to whether or not I have it all correct or not (it's close enough for me) Those of you that have seen some of my builds, I am not into the total exact detail, or the weathering paint schemes at all!

Note: The 80mm WTC did not work out well for me in this model. If you followed this build, you noticed that I had an issue with the motor shaft exist from the end cap. My solution to the problem did not work as planned. I would rather not go into the other issues that I had, so I am caulking up this build to total INEXPERIENCE on my part! Someone with more abilities than I have at this point will take that 80mm WTC and make it work very well with the Arkmodel Type VII.

As it stands! I am completely satisfied with my end results. The Arkmodel Type VII is a great kit that went together well, and the 80mm WTC in the right hands can be made to work well with this model.

I still have a few more little details to do on the kit after which I will post more photos! Also, check out my 1:72 ALFA build to see what may become of my 80mm WTC!! Never a dull moment! :-))

Rob
                Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-01-2022, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Final Arkmodel Type Vll finished photos!

Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 3.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	161407Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	161408

Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 4.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	161409

Even though I did not get this boat in the water, it was still a fun build! Over and out on this project!!

Rob

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                    Final Arkmodel Type Vll finished photos!

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	161407Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	161408

Click image for larger version  Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	161409

Even though I did not get this boat in the water, it was still a fun build! Over and out on this project!!

Rob
                    I did don’t understand the problem with the WTC. Please explain.
                    Last edited by Das Boot; 05-02-2022, 09:48 PM.
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot

I did don’t understand the problem with the WTC. Please explain.
                      Hi Casey,

I do not really feel that I have a right to give negative information on a product! I am still a newbie at this sub stuff. Especially the Sub Drivers and WTC! I would have to say that 99.9% of the problems with this 80mm WTC was of my own making! If you go back to page 6 and this page 7, it explains some of the issues that I had with the 80mm WTC drive shafts. My repair work even worked worse! The 70mm WTC that I put in my 1:96 scale Alfa worked great!

I guess what I am trying to say is, that most of the problems I am having with building and running these submarines have been my mistakes! I do try to learn from my mistakes, and I will keep pushing forward until I get it right, if life will permit it!

Rob
                      "Firemen can take the heat"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        Welcome to my underwater realm!
                        • Aug 2009

Rob,

Hit me up and let's get that cylinder working for you. No need to go it alone. That's why we're here. Worst case, ship it back here and I'll fix it's little red wagon.

I want you get that boat wet, and the cylinder is still serviceable. Let's make it happen!

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                          Rob,

Hit me up and let's get that cylinder working for you. No need to go it alone. That's why we're here. Worst case, ship it back here and I'll fix it's little red wagon.

I want you get that boat wet, and the cylinder is still serviceable. Let's make it happen!

Bob
                          Bob,

I really appreciate your offer!

Click image for larger version  Name:	WTC REBUILD 1.jpg Views:	20 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	161448

Click image for larger version  Name:	WTC REBUILD 2.jpg Views:	16 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	161449

As you can see by the photos I have completely stripped out all the components on my 80mm WTC except for the pump and the on/off switch. I am going to set up my 1:72 scale 3D printed ALFA using the revamped 80mm WTC. It will make a great match! I am going to go to the wet with a single brushless motor for the drive shaft and matching bidirectional ESC.

I do appreciate you wanting me to have made the 80mm work for my Type Vll. I not only had a issue with the dual shafts, but I also screwed up one of the motors and for sure burned out the ESC for that motor. (ALL MY FAULT) as usual, SOP for me! I have the Arkmodel Type VII set up as a static model, and I am very pleased with it.

So with all that being said, the issues with the 80mm WTC were of my MAKING totally, but all is not a loss because I will make it work in the ALFA.

I want to thank you very much for your offer Bob! You work so very hard to make things right for your customers (EVEN WHEN THEY/ME FOUL UP) that's why I support you as a person and Nautilus Drydocks, you are always there for us!! I love this hobby and will continue to work hard at it!!

Thank you! :-))

Rob
                          Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-04-2022, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                            • Aug 2009

Well... if and when you're ready to make that boat a fully functional model (you already have the linkages done and everything!), hit me up and let's find something to power it!

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                              Well... if and when you're ready to make that boat a fully functional model (you already have the linkages done and everything!), hit me up and let's find something to power it!

Bob
                              Thank you Bob,

You never know what the future holds! I am very excited about using the 80mm WTC on my 3D printed 1:72 scale Alfa! The cylinder size and the ballast tank size looks like it will be a great match up! Out of my ashes will come another great build.

I am sorry that I just keep fouling up some really great products that I have purchased from you! I do want to thank you for ALL your support and help that you have given me through my destructive learning process! I really love this hobby! This hobby and the GREAT people that I come into contact with on this forum and Dive Tribe really gives me something to look forward to everyday, with all the challenges and successes that it offers!

By the way! I have a neighbor that stopped by to see what I am up to. We may have a new recruit into the hobby!? I gave him Nautilus Drydocks web site, and I think he is going to be really impressed with it.

Rob
                              Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-06-2022, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                                • Aug 2009

There is zero need to apologize for anything, Rob. Your journey is just beginning, and the only person you need to answer to is you. If you made no mistakes, you'd learn nothing. I, for one, am very impressed with how far you've already come.

We will see many more good things to come from you, I am sure!

Bob

Comment

Working...