Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
    Had an epiphany while sleeping. Happens a lot. My thoughts are this. I'm brushing on the paint in a wide pattern then streaking it down the hull. I should be dabbing the paint in a narrow splotch then streaking it down. Also, I've been thinning the acrylic 1:1 with reducer. Maybe leaving it thicker and brushing it down would make it look more like 'proper' streaking.

Maybe not apply the paint the width of the brush. OR! Do it this way as a first light layer, then go back a second time with the brush held vertically to create more pronounced narrow vertical streaks.
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4005.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	53.7 KB ID:	159088

The wash should look more like what I highlighted with the arrow. Here demonstrating how I perhaps should position the brush for a narrow streak instead of a wide wash.
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4006.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	159089

David puts the paint on in small streaks. Not like a full wash like I was doing.
    Click image for larger version Name:	Sub_3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	159090

This looks like a combination of a full wash with streaking applied on top of the full wash. Layered effect. This picture sticks in my mind a lot!!!
    Click image for larger version Name:	Sub_5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	159091

Time to change the technique. Thoughts?
    Keep playing with it. A major league pitcher has more than one pitch in his bag of tricks. Explore. Experiment. Try weird stuff (streak with steel-wool, streak vertically with dry scouring powder, streak with sand, etc.). Go nuts!

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

David,

Would this be a fairly good starting point for weathering the Russian Alfa boat?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA PREDATOR.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	159096

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Ken_NJ
        Captain
        • Sep 2014

Back to practicing on paper, by accident I got this streaking to look like streaking and somewhat like what David did on this Russian sub, although his is more washed out. Will have to give it an over spray to see how it looks that way.

Name:	IMG_4019.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	159163

Name:	Sub_5.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	159164

But do I want the above to be how the weathering will be on the Skipjack? Probably not.

And I still have to work at getting something reasonable close to this.

Name:	Sub_1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	159165

And this.

Name:	Sub_2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	159166

Comment

• Aug 2008

Back to practicing on paper, by accident I got this streaking to look like streaking and somewhat like what David did on this Russian sub, although his is more washed out. Will have to give it an over spray to see how it looks that way.

Views:	180
ID:	159163

Name:	Sub_5.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	159164

But do I want the above to be how the weathering will be on the Skipjack? Probably not.

And I still have to work at getting something reasonable close to this.

Name:	Sub_1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	159165

And this.

Name:	Sub_2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	159166
          Now you're cook'n!

You big goofball, you just won't quit, will you!?...

Soon you'll be teaching me.

David
          (On knees screaming to the heaven's: "I've Created A Monster!!!")
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
            Captain
            • Sep 2014

Have to stop this. Cannot be doing this forever. Gotta finish this sucker. I will spare posting more practice sessions unless I get one that is absolutely really good.

David, do you do this streaking with strictly acrylic paint?

The bottom one sorta, maybe looks something like the Kilo.

Name:	60C00DAB-A63D-48FE-B7B2-7B9148DAACA5.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	159175

Comment

• Aug 2008

Have to stop this. Cannot be doing this forever. Gotta finish this sucker. I will spare posting more practice sessions unless I get one that is absolutely really good.

Name:	60C00DAB-A63D-48FE-B7B2-7B9148DAACA5.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	159175
              That little KILO you showed was all acrylic paint. The 1/96 SKIPJACK was a combination of acrylic and oil paint for the streaking.

You're getting good results now, Ken.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                Captain
                • Apr 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	60C00DAB-A63D-48FE-B7B2-7B9148DAACA5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	159175
                Ken,

Please keep posting your progress and the technics and materials you’re experimenting with. It’s helpful to the rest us.

David is like the “Bob Ross” of the submarine world. He makes it look easy with his “happy streaking” here and “happy Seagull poo” there details. LOL

Nick
                Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 02-10-2022, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Robot Chicken - Bob Ross and Happy Little Trees.Season 11 Episode 4#RobotChicken #AdultSwim #BobRossMarvel: Shang Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings Funko P...

Comment

• Aug 2008

F you, Nick!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      F you, Nick!
                      Ha! Love ya buddy. Had to F with you! You are damn good

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Now now sailors!

I already bought this.... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0016P4G...roduct_details

What kind of pastel chalk should I get? Something like this... https://tinyurl.com/4tjnuwza

Or should I get pastel chalk pencils? David?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Now now sailors!

I already bought this.... https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0016P4G...roduct_details

What kind of pastel chalk should I get? Something like this... https://tinyurl.com/4tjnuwza

Or should I get pastel chalk pencils? David?
                          NICK STARTED IT!...

The pastel crayons are wonderful medium for weathering. Very much like a thick oil paint. You dab a piece onto the work then rub/streak/stipple it in place. Good for running rust, standing rust, and bird poop. Good choice, Ken.

The chalks are a must-have. But I don't see gray, black, and white with that set. Get those as well. You grind it to a powder and apply with brush, texture stick, sponge, finger, or rag.

And get black, white, and the primary colors in Artists Oil paint (linseed oil based) and turpentine to cut it with. This stuff is easily blended and feathered. Good for streaking, bird poop, and above all dry brushing.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                            Admiral
                            • Dec 2008

David,
                            have you tried using watercolor pencils?

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                              Please keep posting your progress and the technics and materials you’re experimenting with. It’s helpful to the rest us.
                              I thought my posting was repetitive and boring. But I guess not. A lot to learn from doing this.

To get this effect I used the fan brush (below). Like many used brushes, the bristles tend to clump up. It's the clumping up of the bristles that gave me this streaking effect. I save many things that usually get thrown out. I used the top lid from a can of shaving cream to mix the acrylic, and it's easy to clean out. The top portion on the construction paper were continuous strokes. The bottom portion were staggered strokes. I also used the triangle as a guide to get straight vertical strokes. The acrylic was mixed 1:1 with reducer in the lid. I did not wipe the paint off the brush this time. I was hoping to get a more washed out look like on David's Kilo, but by time I applied a wide brush, the acrylic had already dried.

Views:	170
ID:	159199

Name:	IMG_4021.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	159198

BTW, I'm working on a list of all of the things I've purchased for this weathering endeavor. I'll post that list soon. At least before tomorrow's Dive Tribe.

Comment

• goshawk823
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Oct 2010

I thought my posting was repetitive and boring. But I guess not. A lot to learn from doing this.

To get this effect I used the fan brush (below). Like many used brushes, the bristles tend to clump up. It's the clumping up of the bristles that gave me this streaking effect. I save many things that usually get thrown out. I used the top lid from a can of shaving cream to mix the acrylic, and it's easy to clean out. The top portion on the construction paper were continuous strokes. The bottom portion were staggered strokes. I also used the triangle as a guide to get straight vertical strokes. The acrylic was mixed 1:1 with reducer in the lid. I did not wipe the paint off the brush this time. I was hoping to get a more washed out look like on David's Kilo, but by time I applied a wide brush, the acrylic had already dried.

Views:	170
ID:	159199

Name:	IMG_4021.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	159198

BTW, I'm working on a list of all of the things I've purchased for this weathering endeavor. I'll post that list soon. At least before tomorrow's Dive Tribe.
                                Can I offer a suggestion?
                                Lift the brush up off the surface as you finish your sweep downward, and you will not get the thicker color lines at the end of your pass with the brush.
                                Hope you don't mind the hint.

Comment

Working...