Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RanSan
    Lieutenant
    • May 2020

Great job Rob! I enjoyed watching your build and the questions you asked were very helpful for those of us still learning.

As for those who comments about accuracy or realism or those with the I can do it better attitude, let them. It’s a hobby, it’s for enjoyment, it’s for learning, it’s for community and I think most of the people on this forum support that and that’s why we come back to see the work of people like you and not just the elite or self appointed elite.

Randy

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RanSan
      Great job Rob! I enjoyed watching your build and the questions you asked were very helpful for those of us still learning.

As for those who comments about accuracy or realism or those with the I can do it better attitude, let them. It’s a hobby, it’s for enjoyment, it’s for learning, it’s for community and I think most of the people on this forum support that and that’s why we come back to see the work of people like you and not just the elite or self appointed elite.

Randy
      Randy,

Just seen your post! Sorry, I am so late in responding! Your words are so kind and FAR to generous. I have so much more to learn about this hobby and the ins and outs about the finishing techniques that are involved. My joy in the building and the mechanics of sub building. A lot of people enjoy making there boats look like they have been at sea for years, and I truly respect those that can achieve this look and with such realistic results. I like the look of before the effect of the elements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010998.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	160634Click image for larger version

Name:	Nautilus 2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	160633

Name:	P3110004.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	160635Click image for larger version

Name:	P3130006.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	160636

I have made attempts to do a more realistic look on several of my boats. It is certainly a learning process of which I need to spend a GREAT deal more time to achieve. For now I just enjoy the hobby for what it is!

Thanks again Randy,

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Just when I thought I was done with the ALFA builds, well I am back onto the 1;72 scale that was also part of this blog!

Name:	ALFA BUILD 4.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	161392Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA BUILD 3.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	161393

Well, this is going to be a big leap! As I stated on this blog about the 1:72 Alfa, I was going to scratch build a WTC (SD) for this boat. I have what might be another one of my big under thought goofy idea!

Name:	ALFA  BUILD 1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	161394Click image for larger version

Name:	ALFA BUILD 2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	161395

I have stripped out my original 80mm WTC that was supposed to be for the Arkmodel Type VII boat. I am going to take it from a dual shaft system and convert it into a single shaft WTC. If I can make the conversion from dual to a single, I think the ballast system and the overall WTC will be a good fit for the 1:72 scale Alfa! "Another Experiment"

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

I have a question about the possible use of a brushless motor for my 1:72 scale Alfa and installing it on the stern end cap (on the outside) of the 80mm WTC? would a 750KW brushless motor be adequate for this boat? It would certainly save a lot of problems not having to go through all the shaft design and installing shaft bushing and seals!

Rob

Comment

• neitosub
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Nov 2021

It would work, Bob is using them on his new line of WTCs. Just make sure to use a bidirectional brushless ESC to get forward and reverse.

Nate

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
              It would work, Bob is using them on his new line of WTCs. Just make sure to use a bidirectional brushless ESC to get forward and reverse.

Nate
              Thanks Nate, I do appreciate the input!

I have never used brushless motors on any of my subs before, but I thought this might be a good way to go with this particular build.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

If I go with the brushless motor on my 80mm WTC these where going to be the motor and the ESC!

https://www.amazon.com/RC-Brushless-...6NZ9Q3JV4& pd_rd

Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Rob

Comment

• neitosub
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Nov 2021

Hi Rob,

The brushless motor choice looks good but the ESC you’ve listed is not bidirectional, it’s most likely used for RC airplanes and drones where you only need it to run in the forward direction. I would go with something like this:

Nate

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by neitosub
                    Hi Rob,

The brushless motor choice looks good but the ESC you’ve listed is not bidirectional, it’s most likely used for RC airplanes and drones where you only need it to run in the forward direction. I would go with something like this:

Nate
                    Nate,

Thank you again for all your help and suggestions. The brushless motor type systems for submarines is still really new to me!

I appreciate you taking the time to look up the web site and sharing it!

Rob

Comment

• neitosub
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Nov 2021

No problem Rob! I've also been building a brushless WTC over the winter so we're in the same boat, I bought a brushless ESC that was meant for RC drones and had to manually program the reverse functionality into the circuit board. If I were to start over again, I would simply go with the bidrectional ESC I linked to save the time and effort. But it's all part of the learning process!

Regards,
                      Nate

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

My plan is to turn my dual shafted 80mm WTC into a single shafted 80mm WTC!

Name:	ALFA PLAN 1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	161460

I really have two ways to go. I can use the remaining brushed motor and ESC from the original 80mm WTC (I burned up the other motor and ESC) or I can go with a 750kw brushless motor with a bidirectional ESC for the drive system, both ideas are very possible. I will use the same design linkage set up for the rudders and dive planes that I used on my1:96 scale Alfa. I think this change over on the 80mm WTC will be a great fit for the 1:72 Alfa. And it will make good use of the existing 80mm WTC that I SREWED UP!

Final note about Nautilus Drydocks 80mm WTC: It came to me in GREAT working condition and with NO PROBLEMS at all until I got my grubby little mits on it, and then it was SOP as far as my work goes. If it can be screwed up, I am your man! In the right hands Bob Martin has a winner with the 80mm WTC.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Today I removed the existing dual drive shaft bushings and seals from the stern WTC end cap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ALFA PENITRATION 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	161499

I then sealed the holes in the end cap using a tip that I got from David Merriman. Thin CA and layers of baking soda. After it all cured, I sanded the excess flush to the end cap. The end cap is now ready for the installation of a single 750kw brushless motor to the wet side of the cap for the motor drive system on the Alfa!

Rob
                          Last edited by rwtdiver; 05-05-2022, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

Rob, what are your plans for the Type VII?
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
                              Rob, what are your plans for the Type VII?
                              Hi Casey,

Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 3.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	161515Click image for larger version

Name:	ARKMODEL FINISHED 4.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	161516

I set the Type VII as a static model only! It was a good build for me, but I made some mistakes on the 80mm WTC, and please understand, these mistakes where my fault NOT the product! The boat turned out to be a great build so I gave it a paint scheme of the early U-552 and added it to my static model collection.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Making a little more progress on the Alfa!

Name:	ALFA DRIVE SHAFT MOTOR 2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	161536

I have started to install the brass bushing for the rudders and the dive planes in the stern section.

Name:	ALFA DRIVE SHAFT MOTOR 1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	161537

I received the brushless motor and bi-directional ESC for the main drive shaft today, and it is ready for installation.

Name:	ALFA DRIVE SHAFT MOTOR 3.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	161538

We are making some headway on the Alfa project! I really hope going to the wet with the brushless motor is going to work out!? Based on everything I have read on this forum, brushless motors could be the new wave of the future for the drive systems on our subs!

Rob

Comment

Working...