X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    Why not saw off the top and bottom fixed rudder stabilizer and glue the control surfaces in place and make it an all moving surface. This way you can offset the rudder axis from the dive planes.
    And that's exactly what I did on all 3 Alfa's I built over the years - with the exception that I did this only to the lower rudder and its vertical fixed stabilizer. That, and keeping the weight down to reduce mass momentum and plonking the centre of the ballast tank at the centre of rotation and you will have a great handling boat.
    Last edited by Slats; 09-05-2021, 02:57 AM.
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Today I am going to install the upper and lower rudders! This is where it gets tight!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Rud 3.jpg Views:	73 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	153118Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Rud 2.jpg Views:	64 Size:	63.1 KB ID:	153119

I first bored out the holes for the holes for the 1/8" brass sleeves. Then I installed the brass tubing in my drill and installed the sleeve tubing in one piece! Then I will cut out the center section leaving me with the sleeves installed and ready for the 3/32" control rod!

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"
      Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

The Alfa Stern section is DONE!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa cont 2.jpg Views:	77 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	153124Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfra Cont 1.jpg Views:	71 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	153125

I have the stern dive planes mounted and functional, and the upper and lower rudder system mounted and functional! I realize to most of you, this is no big deal! I have built 10 submarines in the past 2 years, and they have all been just surface runners (lower rudder and propulsion) This will be my first submarine with full and functional control systems!

With the help of several people on this forum (David M., Tom, Steve, "SUB" Ed, and Bob Martin) just to name a few. I am one step closer to scratch building my first operational diving submarine! I still have a ton of design work and building to do, but I have overcome one obstacle that has been a real challenge for me!

A little coffee break, and then moving on to the next challenges!!

Rob
        Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Looks very clean Rob. Nice work!

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RCJetDude
            Looks very clean Rob. Nice work!
            Thanks Steve,

The first stern set up was trashed! Had to print another one. Some thin CA got in between the brass tub (sleeve) and the brass control rod, and you know what the end result of that was!!

Rob
            Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Click image for larger version

Name:	images (31).jpeg
Views:	351
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	153137 Rub a bit of Vaseline on the shaft before you shove it into the hole.
              Last edited by redboat219; 09-06-2021, 01:56 AM.
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• RanSan
                Lieutenant
                • May 2020

Congratulations on getting it to work Rob! I’m watching your progress with great interest.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by RanSan
                  Congratulations on getting it to work Rob! I’m watching your progress with great interest.
                  Thank you RanSan!

Now I can finish up the hulls on both Alfa's! I will then start work om my scratch build WTC!

Rob
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Aug 2020

This is my take on the bow plane mod. It's positioned lower, slightly larger, and has an outer lip that corresponds to the hull for streamlining when stowed. The trim tab detail is included.

A couple of other changes visible are the escape pod is angled, hatch detail is added behind the sail. A hatch cover is scribed in the forward / port of the sail, both sail side doors are oval vice rounded rectangles, a mast door is added forward of the escape pod, and some other doors are modified. The bow sonar dome was completely changed, and a torpedo loading door was added between the upper torpedo tube shutter doors.

The lower sections will get a few changes like additional limber holes mid-ships and of course, the two outboard cooling water scoops.

I threw the DF loop in just for fun when I had an hour to kill yesterday. (It may not make it to the final version.) The scribe detail is slightly deeper since I liked how it looked when I rebuilt the bow from scratch, and applied the depth to the rest to make it stand out a little more when painted. Since I'm printing the hull in resin, this gives me a close approximation of the finished result.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Ortho Port 01.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	153144

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mod Progress  07-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.5 KB ID:	153140
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by CC Clarke; 09-06-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by CC Clarke
                      This is my take on the bow plane mod. It's positioned lower, slightly larger, and has an outer lip that corresponds to the hull for streamlining when stowed. The trim tab detail is included.

A couple of other changes visible are the escape pod is angled, hatch detail is added behind the sail. A hatch cover is scribed in the forward / port of the sail, both sail side doors are oval vice rounded rectangles, a mast door is added forward of the escape pod, and some other doors are modified. The bow sonar dome was completely changed, and a torpedo loading door was added between the upper torpedo tube shutter doors.

The lower sections will get a few changes like additional limber holes mid-ships and of course, the two outboard cooling water scoops.

I threw the DF loop in just for fun when I had an hour to kill yesterday. (It may not make it to the final version.) The scribe detail is slightly deeper since I liked how it looked when I rebuilt the bow from scratch, and applied the depth to the rest to make it stand out a little more when painted. Since I'm printing the hull in resin, this gives me a close approximation of the finished result.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Ortho Port 01.jpg Views:	45 Size:	23.0 KB ID:	153144

Click image for larger version Name:	Mod Progress 07-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.5 KB ID:	153140
                      CC Clarke,

Excellent file photos! I really like the location, size, and the detail work of the bow dive planes! I am going to change my existing planes and do a re-print. Your hull detail work is much more detailed than the files that I printed from! Nice work sir, and I thank you for sharing your work here! The possibilities are truly end less!

Rob
                      Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

I do have a general building question which I would like input from those of you that like building! I am at a stage on the Alfa's where the hulls are printed and glued up! Would this be the point where you would do some fill work and primer the boat (inside and out) then set it aside and start on the WTC? Or would you leave the hull totally unfinished and just go to work on the WTC? Stupid question I know!! Would just like to know what your views are!

I think I would somewhat like to prep the hull a little and primer it, and then move on to the WTC!

Rob
                        Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Aug 2020

Many thanks Rob. I've included a shot of the DF loop that didn't take long to model. The antenna head lends itself to resin printing to mount on a metal rod. It's a shame we don't have a repository of (sharable) masts and antenna STL files here that could be scaled up or down for whatever size boat someone is building. Maybe a Dive Tribe exclusive or something like that.

I keep a Frankenstein-esque repository in my 3D library of hands, feet, eyes, ears, etc. I recycle these objects for characters to speed up work. It would be just as useful for submarine masts and antennas; especially in the larger scales where the detail shows. FDM printing is not optimized for small parts compared to resin printing. Each has their strengths.

As I mentioned before, a completely separate sub-forum for 3D printing-related topics would be a nice way to keep detailed threads organized and easy to locate, rather than in a General Forum topics section. That's a change only an admin can make if it's decided to be a worthwhile thing to do.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DF Loop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	153157
                          Last edited by CC Clarke; 09-06-2021, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Many thanks Rob. I've included a shot of the DF loop that didn't take long to model. The antenna head lends itself to resin printing to mount on a metal rod. It's a shame we don't have a repository of (sharable) masts and antenna STL files here that could be scaled up or down for whatever size boat someone is building. Maybe a Dive Tribe exclusive or something like that.

I keep a Frankenstein-esque repository in my 3D library of hands, feet, eyes, ears, etc. I recycle these objects for characters to speed up work. It would be just as useful for submarine masts and antennas; especially in the larger scales where the detail shows. FDM printing is not optimized for small parts compared to resin printing. Each has their strengths.

As I mentioned before, a completely separate sub-forum for 3D printing-related topics would be a nice way to keep detailed threads organized and easy to locate, rather than in a General Forum topics section. That's a change only an admin can make if it's decided to be a worthwhile thing to do.

Click image for larger version Name:	DF Loop.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.0 KB ID:	153157
                            CC Clarke

A Sub-forum for 3D printing-related topics would be a great idea! If Bob Martin see this, he might chime in on it! Why don't you just start your own blog under general topics on this forum! It would be under your name (CC Clarke) and with your own title!?

I think there would be a lot of interest in seeing what you are doing!

Rob

I did get a little more work completed on my 1:72 Alfa today!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Alfa Hull A.jpg Views:	56 Size:	62.4 KB ID:	153161

I glassed the top and bottom hull joint with glass and Z-Poxy finishing resin just to strengthen all the joints a little!

Rob
                            Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Aug 2020

There's an old submarine acronym for this: . . . BOHICA.

Bend Over Here It Comes Again

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

There's an old submarine acronym for this: . . . BOHICA.

Bend Over Here It Comes Again
                                OK! I guess I have just been told! I will leave it at that!

Rob
                                Last edited by rwtdiver; 09-11-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...