Type XXXI U-2540 1:72 Scale Sub Build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Amazon.com: Elmer's Products, Inc E7000 Carpenters Wood Glue, 4 Fl oz , Yellow : Industrial & Scientific

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    The XXI build has a lot of really nice photo etched brass work! The build would not be complete without it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ttpe XXXI Brass Work 2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	157704

Name:	Type XXXI Brass Work 1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	157705

I personally feel it would be a shame to paint over the brass! This build by the way is going to be just a static display. So my though is to finish the boat in a scale color and then apply the etched brass after and leave it in its natural form.

Now I have another question: Does anyone know of a water based adhesive that will work with brass and PLA? I am now fighting a real allergic reaction to all CA adhesives! I guess wearing a mask will help, but having it in my building environment now will be an issue. All this gluing and using CA has finally caught up with me!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    My type XXXl is coming together!

Name:	Type XX1 coming together 1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	157641Click image for larger version

Name:	Type XX2 coming together 2.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	157642

If you look closely, you can see the screws and nuts that I am using on this build. As you can tell by the upper decking, there will be a lot of brass photo etching to install! If you have followed this build, you have seen all the photos and input that David M. has posted, and it will be a GREAT help for sure!! Thanking you again David!

Rob

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by KumaDog
    Wicked! Thank you. I had never thought of using Renshape for that and it makes perfect sense. You've opened my squinty eyes......
    LOL. This round-eye learned these tricks from everyone on this rock of ours who made the effort to pass on what they learned. And that's all I'm doing -- passing it on.

Leave a comment:

• KumaDog
    replied
    Wicked! Thank you. I had never thought of using Renshape for that and it makes perfect sense. You've opened my squinty eyes......

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by KumaDog
    David,
    what is the material you used for the rail alignment jig on the Type IX? it looks like Renshape, but I was not aware that it would withstand the heat.
    Thanks
    I use both the dense and lightweight RenShape for soldering jigs. Both can take the heat of the operation. An important consideration is to dig out a cavity under each portion of the jig under which a solder joint will be made -- this to limit the possibility of off-gassed polyurethane products from contaminating the union. The lightweight RenShape is easy to shape and accepts securing pins with little argument. The dense stuff, not so much.

David

Leave a comment:

• KumaDog
    replied
    David,
    what is the material you used for the rail alignment jig on the Type IX? it looks like Renshape, but I was not aware that it would withstand the heat.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by goshawk823
    Bob recently told me that he'll have these 1/72 Type XXIs (and 1/48th?) available again shortly. the manufacturer had paused production, I believe.
    I wonder if the design of the one I did has anything to do with the changes!? The files I purchased came with a complete set of brass photo etchings to complete the model. If you look at the photos of the kit you can see just how important the etching is to the complete build.

Not everyone is into installing or using photo etching, so the next designs might do away with the brass work! It's a great looking boat, and if he brings it back with a different build design it should do well. And having files for a 1:48 scale is even better!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• goshawk823
    replied
    Bob recently told me that he'll have these 1/72 Type XXIs (and 1/48th?) available again shortly. the manufacturer had paused production, I believe.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    I know this subject matter has been covered before! But I am going to be doing a lot brass work on the Type XXl. And I realize the brass will need some prep work before it gets applied to the model and the finishing work after!

Name:	P1010099.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	150856

I know that it should be cleaned with laquer thinner, and then a bath in some sort of acid! I am thinking vinegar would do the job!? I have heard that some like to use a more aggressive acid! Any input would be appreciated! Thank you!

Rob
    This is some of the brass etching that came with the kit.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Thank you guys! Well the printing of the parts is complete! I did tape all the joints together just to get a visual of what it might look like! Sorry about the tape!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010009.jpg Views:	229 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	150115Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010010.jpg Views:	235 Size:	57.2 KB ID:	150116Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010012.jpg Views:	225 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	150117

I am going to put some time into the Nautilus, and then I will do some more on the Type XXl! I am going to do some engineering work on the hull design in order to install a WTC! Not sure how I will do this, but with some work I am sure I can achieve what I need!

Rob
    It has been sometime since I started building the 1:72 scale Type XXII.

Just to refresh where I left off on this build, you can see by the photos that I have not put it together yet. This Type XXII came as a 3D printed set of files that I purchased from Nautilus Drydocks. (No longer available, not sure why?) I am building this boat as a static model and not powered. I am going to put it together as per the instruction's and using the nuts and screws to fasten the 10 sections together. A total of 60 fasteners.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Type VII Fasteners 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	157594

I am also going to use the brass etching that came with the kit as well.

Rob

Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-04-2022, 06:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Find some heavy-duty electrical cable, strip away the insulation, unbundle the strands and you'll likely find copper wire of an appropriate diameter. Stretch-harden the wire and you're in business.
    OK! I have tons of stranded copper wire from my Shortwave Radio days and building antennas and Radios!

David! Thank you again for your time! I have downloaded all your articles and photos on this very subject! I will use them to the fullest extent! I will post up photos as progress warrants! I am really looking forward to this new concept of the hobby! And for me to have the master builder (you) in my life, just makes it so much more meaningful for me to be learning from the BEST!

Thank you again David for sharing your knowledge, and most of all your willingness to help!!!

Rob

Leave a comment:

replied
    Find some heavy-duty electrical cable, strip away the insulation, unbundle the strands and you'll likely find copper wire of an appropriate diameter. Stretch-harden the wire and you're in business.

Leave a comment:

replied
    David,

Thank you again for your time and greatly appreciated help!

Two questions to start? What size and where did you get the brass? I did find 1/16" on amazon!

Rob
    .014" diameter. McMaster-Carr.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    David,

Thank you again for your time and greatly appreciated help!

Two questions to start? What size and where did you get the brass? I did find 1/16" on amazon!

Rob

Leave a comment:

Working...