Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KumaDog
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Sep 2021

Wicked! Thank you. I had never thought of using Renshape for that and it makes perfect sense. You've opened my squinty eyes......

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by KumaDog
      Wicked! Thank you. I had never thought of using Renshape for that and it makes perfect sense. You've opened my squinty eyes......
      LOL. This round-eye learned these tricks from everyone on this rock of ours who made the effort to pass on what they learned. And that's all I'm doing -- passing it on.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

My type XXXl is coming together!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Type XX1 coming together 1.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	157641Click image for larger version

Name:	Type XX2 coming together 2.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	157642

If you look closely, you can see the screws and nuts that I am using on this build. As you can tell by the upper decking, there will be a lot of brass photo etching to install! If you have followed this build, you have seen all the photos and input that David M. has posted, and it will be a GREAT help for sure!! Thanking you again David!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

The XXI build has a lot of really nice photo etched brass work! The build would not be complete without it.

Name:	Ttpe XXXI Brass Work 2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	157704

Name:	Type XXXI Brass Work 1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	157705

I personally feel it would be a shame to paint over the brass! This build by the way is going to be just a static display. So my though is to finish the boat in a scale color and then apply the etched brass after and leave it in its natural form.

Now I have another question: Does anyone know of a water based adhesive that will work with brass and PLA? I am now fighting a real allergic reaction to all CA adhesives! I guess wearing a mask will help, but having it in my building environment now will be an issue. All this gluing and using CA has finally caught up with me!

Rob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Amazon.com: Elmer's Products, Inc E7000 Carpenters Wood Glue, 4 Fl oz , Yellow : Industrial & Scientific
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

Thank David,

I will give it a try!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Started cutting and layout of some of the top deck brass pieces (Not glued in at all yet)

Name:	Type XXI Brass Fitting 1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	157735

Fitting and adhering the 100's of pieces of brass is going to take a great deal of time and patience. I am just not sure if I am skilled enough to be taking on this project! I have gone over David M's photos and instructions! If nothing else, it certainly makes me understand just how GOOD David M. is!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

I am going to reopen my German Type XX1 U-2540 build blog. As I have stated in this blog, I am not going to build an actual functioning submarine, I have decided to make it into a static model only.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Type XX2 coming together 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.7 KB ID:	162199Click image for larger version  Name:	Ttpe XXXI Brass Work 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.0 KB ID:	162200

David has given me many great tips and instructional photos as how to do the brass work on this model, so with that in mind I will proceed with his information and move this project forward!

Rob
                  Last edited by rwtdiver; 06-03-2022, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• goshawk823
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                    I am going to reopen my German Type XX1 U-2540 build blog. As I have stated in this blog, I am not going to build an actual functioning submarine, I have decided to make it into a static model only.

Name:	Type XX2 coming together 2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	162199Click image for larger version

Name:	Ttpe XXXI Brass Work 2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	162200

David has given me many great tips and instructional photos as how to do the brass work on this model, so with that in mind I will proceed his information and move this project forward!

Rob
                    At some point, I’m going to get this kit from Oto with the explicit goal of making it a static model. I think it would look great next to the Revell Type VII and Type IX in the same scale.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by goshawk823

At some point, I’m going to get this kit from Oto with the explicit goal of making it a static model. I think it would look great next to the Revell Type VII and Type IX in the same scale.
                      Sam,

That would really make an awesome threesome, and what a history behind each boat. Everything I have read about the Type XXl had the Germans introduced it earlier in the war, it could have sure changed the possible outcome!

Do you have any photos of the kit from Oto? It would be interesting to see! When you get your kit I hope you do a build blog on your build!

Rob

Comment

• goshawk823
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Sam,

That would really make an awesome threesome, and what a history behind each boat. Everything I have read about the Type XXl had the Germans introduced it earlier in the war, it could have sure changed the possible outcome!

Do you have any photos of the kit from Oto? It would be interesting to see! When you get your kit I hope you do a build blog on your build!

Rob
                        It’s the same kit you’ve gotten from Bob and the filed you printed, I believe. Oto has posted a number of pictures of his printed version, including a resin conning tower print. My understanding is that the resin print is a better finish, but much more brittle. Not a concern for me and additionally, Oto describes this scale as not really suitable for R/C. (I know that wouldn’t stop lots of people from making a 1/72 scale one functional.)
                        The XXI and the XXIII have been two of my favorite U Boats for years; I’ve got the vom Original zum Modell books for both of them.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by goshawk823

It’s the same kit you’ve gotten from Bob and the filed you printed, I believe. Oto has posted a number of pictures of his printed version, including a resin conning tower print. My understanding is that the resin print is a better finish, but much more brittle. Not a concern for me and additionally, Oto describes this scale as not really suitable for R/C. (I know that wouldn’t stop lots of people from making a 1/72 scale one functional.)
                          The XXI and the XXIII have been two of my favorite U Boats for years; I’ve got the vom Original zum Modell books for both of them.
                          The files that I purchased from bob were great! I did not glue any of the hull sections together. The files came with the small screws and nuts to put the hull sections together. The files I purchased also came with complete set of photo etching, and a full set of plans! Should be a real learning process and a fun build!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Today I started the brass work on the Type XXI!

Name:	TYPE XXI  BRASS 1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	162256Click image for larger version

Name:	TYPE XXI BRASS 2.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	162257

To get more more in tune with doing this work I made the decision to start with the top deck because the pieces are larger and easier to work with! There is a lot of pre brass install work to make sure the groove that the brass fits into is clean and will allow a nice inlay type fit. The 3D printing process on these recessed areas needed some clean up. As Dave stated, this is a time-consuming process and takes patience to master to do it correctly!

This will be a real learning process for me, and I will be going over David's photos with a fine-tooth comb to pick up on his ways of doing this.

Rob

Comment

• Das Boot
                              Rear Admiral
                              • Dec 2019

I always hated painting over PE too. But people in the know will see the hard work anyway. Good looking boat.
                              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
                                I always hated painting over PE too. But people in the know will see the hard work anyway. Good looking boat.
                                Thanks Casey!

I might just reconsider painting this boat!? Being it is a 3D printed boat which as you are aware does have some characteristics as to how it was formed and that might be interesting for people to see what actually goes into this type boat.

Also I could always take the time to mask off the PE and then paint the boat. All kinds of possibilities!

Rob

Comment

Working...