X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

Type XXXI U-2540 1:72 Scale Sub Build

This build will be from 3D print files that I purchased from Nautilus Drydocks! RIGHT OFF THE BAT I POSTED THE WRONG BOAT! NOT A TYPE XXXl SORRY I MEANT THE TYPE XXl :-))

Click image for larger version  Name:	Type XXl Whelhelm.jpg Views:	464 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	149182
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1000536.jpg Views:	365 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	149183Click image for larger version  Name:	P1000544.jpg Views:	372 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	149184

I purchased the files along with the brass photoetch, and the decal set! This boat has really impressed me, and I am looking forward to the build! Just as a side note! I want everyone to know how much I appreciate all the help I have received from Bob Martin (Nautilus Drydocks) I think I must have kept him awake some nights with all the emails back and forth that I have sent to him, not only this build, but with all my purchases from him! Thanks Bob!!

Ounce again my wife feels I need "Professional" help! Oh well! I can not think of a better way at my age to occupy my time with than 3D printing and building submarines!!

I will post up photos of the U-2540 as I progress with the build!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"

NOTE: Right off the bat! I messed up the XXI and put up XXXI!! I hope this is not going to for tell the end results of my build!
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 06-03-2022, 07:09 PM.
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

As some are aware I had to replace my old Dremel 3D40 3D printer! I did purchase another Dremel 3D40 Flex Digilab, basically the same printer with a few more upgrades!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5090002.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	149891Click image for larger version

Name:	P5160006.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	149892

I am going to start on the Type XXl 3D printed parts tomorrow! I will be using white PLA on this project, and I will be using the new Dremel filament! It's a larger roll and a much better quality than the original filament.

So hopefully in a few days I will have the hulls sections done on my Type XXl!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

While I am working on the Nautilus, I am also working on printing out the parts to the Type XXl My new Dremel printer is doing an excellent job on the parts!

Name:	P5190872.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	149992

Rob

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

How’s the type XXI coming along?

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
          How’s the type XXI coming along?
          Good morning!

Name:	P1010037.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	150090

Name:	P1010038.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	150091

I have two more 8 hour pieces to print out and then I will start the glue up process! The files on this boat are exceptionally good. With this build I will be receiving the brass etching. All the frame work openings are really clean and ready for installation! Looking forward to the rest of the build!

Rob

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Sweet. You selling a few?
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Looking good Rob. I’m looking forward to your build of this boat.

Das Boot,

These are the print files Bob Martin sells on his website. If you do not have access to a printer, I think Bob may also offer a already printed set for purchase.

Nick

Comment

• rwtdiver
                Vice Admiral
                • Feb 2019

Thank you guys! Well the printing of the parts is complete! I did tape all the joints together just to get a visual of what it might look like! Sorry about the tape!!

Name:	P1010009.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	150115Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	150116Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	150117

I am going to put some time into the Nautilus, and then I will do some more on the Type XXl! I am going to do some engineering work on the hull design in order to install a WTC! Not sure how I will do this, but with some work I am sure I can achieve what I need!

Rob

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

I’ve got to purchase a printer. No question.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2020

Rob,

Very nice looking model. What layer height did you print these at and how many total hours would you say it took to make all the parts?

This is definitely another boat I will need to purchase form Bob.

Nick

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                      Rob,

Very nice looking model. What layer height did you print these at and how many total hours would you say it took to make all the parts?

This is definitely another boat I will need to purchase form Bob.

Nick
                      Nick! I am very pleased at how it has turned out. I got a total of 101 hours on this model. The Resolution or primary layer height is at 0.2 mm. This is the default set up that came with simplify 3D for my Dremel 3D40 Flex printer.

Das Boot! Yes, get a 3D printer! You will not regret it!!!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

OK! I need to find someone or someplace on our forum that a gear box was used to power two prop shafts off a single motor! Also I may be wrong, but I also had seen what looked like the stern of the Type XXl boat that had one prop coming from the center of the stern as well the two coming from the port and the starboard side of the tail fins!?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I am finding now that I have this boat printed out, that it may be quite a project to build it to be more than just a static model! It's going to be a challenge to put this boat into the water! I know there is away to do it, and I am very much up for it, but it is going to take sometime! Bare with me because it is going to take awhile!!

Rob

Comment

• biggsgolf
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2020

I could be wrong, but I think Bob is going to be offering a gear box when he releases his new Subdrivers as they will be single drive only.
                          bruce

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                            OK! I need to find someone or someplace on our forum that a gear box was used to power two prop shafts off a single motor! Also I may be wrong, but I also had seen what looked like the stern of the Type XXl boat that had one prop coming from the center of the stern as well the two coming from the port and the starboard side of the tail fins!?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I am finding now that I have this boat printed out, that it may be quite a project to build it to be more than just a static model! It's going to be a challenge to put this boat into the water! I know there is away to do it, and I am very much up for it, but it is going to take sometime! Bare with me because it is going to take awhile!!

Rob
                            Here's your gear-box:

Your confusing the FOXTROT with the Type-21

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Here's your gear-box:

Your confusing the FOXTROT with the Type-21

Hi David!

How did I know that you would be the one with the answers!!:-))

Thank you very much for the great information. I sure do see the similarities in the photo of Foxtrot and the Type XXl sterns! Thank you for the photos David! Not sure what I am going to do at this point.

Rob

Comment

Working...