• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

Another Thunder Tiger Neptune

Look what showed up today!

It was advertised as the box was open but it was never used and was only missing the charger. It appears that in fact it was never used. I took the outer yellow covers off to get a better look at the rest of the components through the clear WTC. So far everything looks good from the outside. The remote is a 75mhz transmitter so that’s good.

Unfortunately it was not just the charger that was missing as the seller pointed out. The forward dive planes are missing, the instructions too but I found the assembly instructions online. None of the tools were with it. Nor was the carrying handle. The charger for the transmitter was missing too. Basically what is shown in the photos was what was in the original box. Nothing else.

Still need to see what is the condition of the batteries and the rest of the electronic gear.

Nick

Click image for larger version

Name:	9E07BD43-033D-4C20-9DD9-1E49ADC46697.jpeg
Views:	685
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	149126Click image for larger version

Name:	C0812E25-296B-4102-918B-17C758B375F1.jpeg
Views:	586
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	149127Click image for larger version

Name:	1D8E2E58-5754-4735-AA21-E99EE6B4B108.jpeg
Views:	574
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	149128
  • Monahan Steam Models
    Captain
    • Apr 2020

After spending some time searching, looks like finding and buying a set of the original forward dive planes is impossible these days. There are a couple shops in Germany that list them but they won’t ship to the States. Sure I can make a set no problem but would be nice to find a set of originals.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Batteries are easy to replace. (i did a thread on my Neptune - https://forum.rc-sub.com/forum/build...r-neptune-sb-1)
      I understand wanting to have stock bow dive planes, but you will probably make or modify them to make the surface area larger. The biggest adjustments that I see people do are larger planes, battery upgrade, and a different prop.
      It is a super fun sub, if you need instructions, I may have it. Let me check.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

I emailed what I had to you.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Stock dive planes are 100% fine and provide excellent control. No idea who came up with the idea that you needed to upgrade them other than simply wanting to do something to the boat to make it more their own.

Larger 3-bladed prop is definitely called for. Again, lots of bad advice about going with a scimitar, the design for which is only for acoustics and not performance. You want as big a 3-bladed unit as you can fit.

A nice, beefy NiMh battery pack would be a great upgrade.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

Tom & Bob,

Thank you gentlemen for your very helpful input. Hoping to test the sub’s electronics today. Will definitely look into finding a larger suitable prop for it. Are the NiMh batteries a better option then the sealed lead acid type that came with the sub?

No response back yet from the hobby shop I emailed in Germany yesterday about the original forward dive planes.

Tom, I got the manual you emailed to me. Thank you so much!!!

Nick

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Just got finished testing the electronics in the sub and everything works perfect so far. Main battery is no good. For now I found a replacement EBay for $15 and free FedEx 2 day shipping. Will later probably upgrade to NiMh batteries as suggested. The battery should be here Thursday.

Found the hens teeth too after many hours of searching. Was able to get a hold of a small mom and pop hobby shop in Germany that still had an original replacement set of the front dive planes for sale and they are now on the way.

Things are looking good for getting this sub up and running.

Nick

Comment

• Sinksalot
                Commander
                • Mar 2020

Welcome to the Thunder Tiger Neptune club!

Comment

• Sinksalot
                  Commander
                  • Mar 2020

Name:	IMG_2439[1].JPG
Views:	541
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	149243

I was working in the garage and had my Neptune clear bulkhead piece on the table. It fell off the table and hit the concrete and crack. So I ordered a clear 12x12 sheet off amazon and just made a replacement.

Comment

• Sinksalot
                    Commander
                    • Mar 2020

Ok I asked the guy who told me he added new larger dive planes on his Neptune, why he did that. He also said he did not make the larger dive planes, he bought them from Thunder Tiger. He said back in the day Thunder Tiger rep told him that the dive planes were designed to small on the Neptune and that the newer versions of the sub will have some improvements. He sent a picture of the front of the new version of the Neptune called the Seawolf Sport. The same sub as Neptune with improvements. Don't get confused, the Seawolf Sport is not that same as the $3000 version Thunder Tiger Seawolf Ocean.

Click image for larger version  Name:	planes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	13.4 KB ID:	149285
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Sinksalot; 04-25-2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Yup, I noticed the Seawolf Sport did have different shaped and larger front planes. I believe the rear planes were lengthened too but the width was the same.

When I was searching for replacements, I did not run across any Seawolf Sport planes. Only for the shop in Germany who still had the set of SB-1 front planes.

Btw, nice work on the replacement acrylic front cap you made.

Looks like we have another new proud owner of a Neptune sub. Cough cough....Ed!

Comment

• Sinksalot
                        Commander
                        • Mar 2020

Finally had some free time to add my new pump in to my thunder tiger sub. I tried the put pump in like everyone else did. But I didn't like how dam tight it fit. As i was going to use a newer smaller ESC I had space, so I put the pump in up and down and not side ways. That way its not so dam of a tight fit.. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0817.JPG Views:	0 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	150107

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

Looks good. Definitely a tight fit!

Got a set of replacement forward dive planes and a new battery for my Neptune but have not had a chance to run it yet. Just need to charge the battery, check the trim and test for leaks. Planning to make a mount to hold a GoPro 9 behind the clear outer bow cover.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
                            Yup, I noticed the Seawolf Sport did have different shaped and larger front planes. I believe the rear planes were lengthened too but the width was the same.

When I was searching for replacements, I did not run across any Seawolf Sport planes. Only for the shop in Germany who still had the set of SB-1 front planes.

Btw, nice work on the replacement acrylic front cap you made.

Looks like we have another new proud owner of a Neptune sub. Cough cough....Ed!

Name:	PXL_20210525_142846885.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	150125
                            v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                            NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                            USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Name:	PXL_20210525_142846885.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	150125
                              Right on "Sub" Ed!

Would it be a problem for you to take a photo of the weights and where they are located on your Neptune, and post them up! Thanks Ed!

Rob
                              "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

Working...