Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coryhenry
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jul 2020

Do you do anything else to the 3pin to make them waterproof? I.e. use grease?

Comment

• gantu
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

If needed to open the xt60 or xt90 connectors.
      Finalized version of XT90-S disconnect toolFiles on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4797111Sorry for having focus on the background, but the f...

Finalized version of a XT90S opening tool, for smooth opening of XT90S connectors, to avoid damaging what's in the other end of the wires (battery/ESC) It has evolved from the initial wedge opener https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4775717 and the over-engineered version https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4785370
      Regards Gantu

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by coryhenry
        Do you do anything else to the 3pin to make them waterproof? I.e. use grease?
        Short answer is yes Sir!

I plan to go into detail about water proofing the bulkhead 3 pin connections in a future post as currently they are just mocked up and not finished. As far as water proofing the external connections, I’m exploring some simple design options and will hopefully find something that will do the trick.

I’ve had to switch gears back to looking deeper into the overall command structure for the controls, programing code strategy, ease of use and failsafes. This will dictate the final signal wiring layout.

Getting there slowly.

Nick
        Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 03-19-2021, 10:33 AM. Reason: Original reply long winded

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
          Captain
          • Apr 2020

Originally posted by gantu
          If needed to open the xt60 or xt90 connectors.
          Finalized version of XT90-S disconnect toolFiles on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4797111Sorry for having focus on the background, but the f...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4797111
          Gantu

Great find! Thank you for sharing these links!

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

I have not posted any updates in a while but I assure you some progress has been tirelessly made between posts. Been working on this project from pre-dawn to dusk, everyday since the last post. The hardware updates were simpler and will try to post updates soon. The software updates have been a handful and have been taking up most of my time lately.

Mostly focused around getting a solid compatible Interrupt based communication link between the receiver and Arduino have been a main challenge. I need the data interrupts to the main program loop to be fast. I’ve optimized this in the latest software code build. But it has brought problems into other functions of the build. Hence my silence.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Okay this is a probably a waste of a post but screw it.

After beating my head against the wall for hours on end, day after day, writing multiple different coding strategies for the Arduino to interface quickly and accurately with 7 receiver input channels while not interrupting the main program loop, and keeping the program small, I finally nailed it! Holy hell I swear I was about to loose my beans trying to crack this problem.

Solution achieved just in time for Friday night. Now I can rest. Downs some whiskey while writing this. Hey I earned it.

Most of the code and information exchanging has been written for the overall main program that deals with the pressure sensors and laser range finders, gyros and so on. I had to stop work on that code until I could establish a rock solid communication with the damn receiver that wouldn’t overburdened and block the main code from updating.

Long story short. I win and can now move forward with the project. Will post updates when it’s worth sharing.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I'll join you for a whisk(e)y. Congratulations!
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                  Captain
                  • Apr 2020

Originally posted by trout
                  I'll join you for a whisk(e)y. Congratulations!
                  Cheers to that!

Comment

• Bob Gato
                    Captain
                    • Feb 2019

Click image for larger version

Name:	download2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	148860

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                      Captain
                      • Apr 2020

Testing for the bow piston trim tank of the hybrid ballast tank project. This code tests the inner and outer most limits set for the piston’s travel when in dive or surface mode. The distance is recorded by the Lidar sensors mounted at the rear of the cylinder. Also shown at the end of the video is the vent or blow function for the main ballast tank. Most of these functions will be automated in future code updates. This is just a demonstration of the manual override function.

Testing the code for the bow piston trim tank. This code tests the inner and outer most limits set for the piston’s travel when in dive or surface mode. The ...

Nick

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Sep 2015

That is awesome Nick, yay Engineering!!
                        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                          Captain
                          • Apr 2020

I apologize for the lack of updates lately and I apologize that this id only a brief update. My main focus currently has been on the structuring and fail safes of the code for the sub. It is a big project. The hardware side was easy comparatively. Here's what I have:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2728 (1280x960) (1280x960).jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	149000

Overall forward compartment with upgraded pump controllers in the center.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2727.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	149001

Overall look of the cylinder. Top is forward.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2729 (1280x960).jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	149002

Another view of the forward compartment showing the new stacked pump controllers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2730 (1280x960).jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	149003

Rear compartment command unit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2731 (690x1280).jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	149004

Overall view of the WTC.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2732 (726x1280).jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	149005

Another overall veiw, Stern (top) Bow (lower)

I left out the vent plumbing fitting at the top central ballast tank on purpose (safeguard from myself) . This keeps me from the temptation of premature dunk testing the before the rest of the work to the cylinder has been finished.

Will be focused in the coding land and testing from here on out, before any more build updates are posted. So far everything is working awesome.

Nick
                          Last edited by Monahan Steam Models; 04-14-2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                            Captain
                            • Feb 2019

Like Deitrich said to the precinct in the sitcom Barney Miller, Where the hell did you get the atomic bomb?
                            VeryHigh Tech, Nick..almost a shame to hide it in a hull!-BG
                            Last edited by Bob Gato; 04-17-2021, 06:18 AM.

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
                              Captain
                              • Apr 2020

Been burning the candle at both ends working on this ww2 type VIIC project. First was the electric torpedoes and the months of daily r&d that went into testing various designs. Then was Development of the launch mechanism design that could with one channel open launch and close the doors of all five tubes. (Still need to work on the aft tube). Then it was the development of the gas Torpedoes and the work to get them to load and launch with the launch tubes. Lately the work was focused on the hybrid WTC and even more recently the code development that operates all the gizmos. Lots of testing again of different sensors and code structures.

I’m fried. Brain is mush. Decided to take a break away from the sub building and build a 2 wheeled self balancing autonomous robot for my 2 yr old daughter who absolutely loves the Pixar film Wally. Some custom code was written for it but here it is. It uses echo location to avoid obstacles (mostly). Not perfect but I’m beat. Same principal as a self leveling sub.

Comment

• Bob Gato
                                Captain
                                • Feb 2019

You are "out of control", my friend-but your robot is not! Very impressive!

Comment

Working...