• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

My 3D Printed HL-Hunley Build

Another Build!!

I have decided to go with the HL-Hunley build! I ordered the 3D print files form Bob (Nautilus Drydocks) today, and I already have my Dremel 3D40 at work!

Click image for larger version  Name:	hunley-banner.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.0 KB ID:	146412

I Already have my Dremel 3D40 hard at work on the files! Looking really good at this point. I am using Solutech Plus White PLA! I have printed out 4 submarines using this material and I have not had any issues with the PLA. All 4 subs have been in the water (15 min. at a time) But I make sure to keep them out of heat the after each run.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1050001.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	146413Click image for larger version  Name:	P1050002.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	146415

I am going to work on both my 1:77 scale Disney Nautilus and the HL-Hunley at the same time!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-05-2021, 02:35 AM.
  • rwtdiver
    Vice Admiral
    • Feb 2019

I am going to try and use the 2.5" SD that I received from David M. not to long ago! There really has to be a way to make it work in the Hunley! This SD is very special to me!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1050004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	146417Click image for larger version  Name:	P1050005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	146418

Click image for larger version

Name:	4242001.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	146419

I will be using the VEX transmitter with a 4 channel receiver. I also purchased this system from Nautilus Drydocks some time ago

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 01-05-2021, 02:24 AM. Reason: Adding other information

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
      I am going to try and use the 2.5" SD that I received from David M. not to long ago! There really has to be a way to make it work in the Hunley! This SD is very special to me!!

Click image for larger version Name:	P1050004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	146417Click image for larger version Name:	P1050005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	146418

Name:	4242001.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	146419

I will be using the VEX transmitter with a 4 channel receiver. I also purchased this system from Nautilus Drydocks some time ago

Rob
      Other than that MSD having much more ballast tank than you need for the HUNLEY, I don't see any problem using it. As to the model itself, I recommend you gimbal the propeller in pitch as without a positive means of pitch control this submarine is a ***** to maneuver underwater. So, one channel for the bow planes, good for fine depth control; one channel for the ballast sub-system; one channel for the rudder; one channel for the ESC; and one channel for the gimbal.

These clips from the SubRegatta 96 event shows the HUNLEY model I contributed some work to in and out of the water: https://youtu.be/_C1O9X6m3Ag 29:15, 50:50, and 32:15

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Other than that MSD having much more ballast tank than you need for the HUNLEY, I don't see any problem using it. As to the model itself, I recommend you gimbal the propeller in pitch as without a positive means of pitch control this submarine is a ***** to maneuver underwater. So, one channel for the bow planes, good for fine depth control; one channel for the ballast sub-system; one channel for the rudder; one channel for the ESC; and one channel for the gimbal.

These clips from the SubRegatta 96 event shows the HUNLEY model I contributed some work to in and out of the water: https://youtu.be/_C1O9X6m3Ag 29:15, 50:50, and 32:15

David
        David,

Thank you for your help on this boat! I am very happy that you feel the MSD that you gave me will work. I have been waiting for a special sub that I could use it in! I like the fact that the HL-Hunley has a very unique design and history to it. Very fitting to use a very special MSD! Thank you again David.

David! The gimbal control for the propeller! Will that be a similar control system that I will be using on the Disney Nautilus? If I understand you correctly I need to be able to pitch the propeller up and down?

Rob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver

David,

Thank you for your help on this boat! I am very happy that you feel the MSD that you gave me will work. I have been waiting for a special sub that I could use it in! I like the fact that the HL-Hunley has a very unique design and history to it. Very fitting to use a very special MSD! Thank you again David.

David! The gimbal control for the propeller! Will that be a similar control system that I will be using on the Disney Nautilus? If I understand you correctly I need to be able to pitch the propeller up and down?

Rob
          Yes, but a much simpler mechanism -- you will only be pitching the shaft, the big rudder needs no help from yawing the shaft.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
            Vice Admiral
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Yes, but a much simpler mechanism -- you will only be pitching the shaft, the big rudder needs no help from yawing the shaft.

David
            OK! Thank you David! I am sure that I will summon for future help on this project! Thanks for being there for us!

Rob
            "firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

The printing work is moving along on the Hunley!

Name:	P1060001.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	146434

As you can see by the photo, the detail on this boat is exceptional! Looking forward to the print completion!

Rob

Comment

• Groot689
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2016

Great start! Delighted to see someone building this point especially from 3D files! Looking really good.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Feb 2019

Thanks Bob! I am very pleased with how the Hunley files are printing out! I am having just a small issue with the height (149.81mm) with my DREMEL 3D40, so I sized the Z (height) down to 148.81mm and all is well!

Name:	P1070004.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	146470Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070006.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	146471

Rob
                  "Firemen can stand"

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                    Welcome to my underwater realm!
                    • Aug 2009

My own build and test actually proved that the pitch control was perfectly fine during submerged runs. I was really surprised.

Bob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by SubHuman
                      My own build and test actually proved that the pitch control was perfectly fine during submerged runs. I was really surprised.

Bob
                      Hi Bob!

I did see both videos you have out on the Hunley. And based on the one that you showed in your pool I would be very happy with those results you had. I just can't say enough about the files you put up on this boat! It will rank right up there with the Astute and the Redoutable files. Could not be more pleased!

I purchased a 512 page hard copy book by Brian Hicks called the "Sea of Darkness". It is a complete history on the HL-Hunley from design all the way through it's recovery!

I am looking forward to building this boat, and I will do my best to finish it out right!! Thanks for your input Bob!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Feb 2019

Still making head way on the Hunley! I have four complete sections of the hull completed.

Name:	P1100010.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	146550Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100011.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	146551

Just three more complete sections to go and the main hull structure will be complete! I have a total of 86 hours into the hull at this point. So far each section is looking great!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                          Vice Admiral
                          • Feb 2019

Making more progress on the Hunley build! I have the main portion of the hull almost completed! The 2.5" MSD that I got from David M. was to long to fit into the hull as it is. David brought up the point that the ballast portion of the MSD was more capacity than the Hunley needed.

To help in making the MSD fit, I cut a full 2" off of the ballast portion of the cylinder.

Name:	P1110005.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	146573Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110002.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	146574

I do not have the stern section completed yet, so until I have I won't know if the 2" that I took out will be enough to allow the MSD to fit. If I need additional space I can fabricate a smaller section of the main hull to make the difference required. A 2" added hull section will not take away from the overall scale of the Hunley!

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

The major hull components are all printed out. In order to use the MSD that I am using on the Hunley I had to cut 2" from the ballast portion of the cylinder. I also had to add an additional 2.5"section to the center of the hull.

Name:	P1130005.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	146632Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130003.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	146633

Name:	P1130004.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	146634

Next in the process will be to fabricate the top portion of the hull. I still have more small parts to print out.

Rob

Comment

• rwtdiver
                              Vice Admiral
                              • Feb 2019

This will actually be the first (the 1:77 scale Nautilus will be the second) real ballast system subs I have built! The other five where basic surface runners and possible dynamic divers at best! With this information in mind and me being somewhat of a newbie, I will need some help with the plumbing on the Hunley!

Name:	P1140004.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	146700Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140002.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	146701

With the Hunley we really do not have a sail as per say. The picture showing the upper hull section with the square access hole for the snorkel box and the two snorkel tubes is the only access to the outside of the sub, except for the two hatches one forward and one aft. Looking at the plumbing that came with the MSD I am just not sure what I need to do!?

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
                              Rob

Comment

Working...