My 1:77 Scale Disney Nautilus Build

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I worked on the stern section of the Nautilus!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170010.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	149920Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170009.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	149921

Name:	P5170012.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	149922Click image for larger version

Name:	P5170007.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	149923

Installed the support rings, and the brass tube for the rudder linkage!

Rob
    "Firemen can stand the heat"
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by SubHuman
    Your SD will work perfectly fine. I've built a dozen of these with the standard 212 SubDriver and they work perfectly in terms of ballast displacement. Fortunately, the Nautilus has a very tiny freeboard (waterline is probably only 1/4" down from the deck. In the movie, she could emerge so that the waterline was just at the seam between the salon blister and hull, but at that height, the skiff was fully dry and couldn't be launched.

Bob,

Thank you very much for that information! I truly do not understand the total operation of these boats! But I am trying my best to take it all in and learn and understand why they do what they do!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Your SD will work perfectly fine. I've built a dozen of these with the standard 212 SubDriver and they work perfectly in terms of ballast displacement. Fortunately, the Nautilus has a very tiny freeboard (waterline is probably only 1/4" down from the deck. In the movie, she could emerge so that the waterline was just at the seam between the salon blister and hull, but at that height, the skiff was fully dry and couldn't be launched.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

So thick that unless you employ heroic measures to reduce the displacement of above waterline structures you're ballast tank will have to be unreasonably large.

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	149146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	149147Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	149148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	149149
    Oh Man!

Before I have to go this route, I think I will try the SD that came with the kit first! I thank you David for posting up those scary photos!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    I'm thinking of trying to lay up a new hull in epoxy fiberglass with a cast lower section. Would be a hybrid fabrication technique, but it would vastly reduce the weight above the waterline. Not many know, but those hulls are nominally 1/4" thick!
    So thick that unless you employ heroic measures to reduce the displacement of above waterline structures you're ballast tank will have to be unreasonably large.

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	149146Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0194.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	149147Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0191.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	149148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0183.JPG
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	149149

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    I'm thinking of trying to lay up a new hull in epoxy fiberglass with a cast lower section. Would be a hybrid fabrication technique, but it would vastly reduce the weight above the waterline. Not many know, but those hulls are nominally 1/4" thick!

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I have completed the stern prop shaft adaptor system on the upper hull and the lower hull!

Name:	P4180003.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	149102Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180004.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	149103

As stated above, this stern prop shaft system will allow the prop shaft and prop to move in the vertical up and down.
    I have really learned one thing about the Disney Nautilus build, there is a lot of cutting and material removal for the build! You just have to take your time, and have the tooling!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    Thank you for the YouTube David! That is one nice looking Nautilus!

Bob! Thank you for the answer to my question on the brass photoetch! I know we covered that question on our ZOOM last week, just trying to learn all I can and do it the right way!

Thanks again, I do appreciate the information!

Rob

Leave a comment:

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    https://youtu.be/kOO_sz6Sh7U 02:15

Leave a comment:

• RCSubGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by rwtdiver
    I have a question? I know this has most likely been answered a hundred times! I am thinking about purchasing from (Nautilus Drydocks) the seven piece photoetch kit for the Disney Nautilus! I do not want to paint or damage the top of the photoetch, I want the brass to show. I am going to do a rusty look for my final finish and then apply the photoetch. If I sand away some of the rusty finish and just do a light sanding to the underside of the photoetch and glue it down with super glue will that be adequate to hold it in place?

Rob
    Yep, should be fine. The big thing is creating a rough surface for your glue to adhere to.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    In order to install the prop shaft adaptor, I am going to have to remove more material from the bottom of the hull at the stern. This will allow the movement required for the shaft adaptor to work correctly!

Name:	P4180112.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	149092Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180111.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	149093

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    I have a question? I know this has most likely been answered a hundred times! I am thinking about purchasing from (Nautilus Drydocks) the seven piece photoetch kit for the Disney Nautilus! I do not want to paint or damage the top of the photoetch, I want the brass to show. I am going to do a rusty look for my final finish and then apply the photoetch. If I sand away some of the rusty finish and just do a light sanding to the underside of the photoetch and glue it down with super glue will that be adequate to hold it in place?

Rob

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Today I worked on the stern of the boat, and notched out the area around the prop shaft exit. In order to install the prop shaft adaptor that will allow the prop to move up and down in a slight vertical movement to allow the boat to submerge and surface more effectively!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4170003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.4 KB ID:	149084Click image for larger version  Name:	P4170004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	149085

There was some material removal to allow this fitting to be installed. If you go to Nautilus Drydocks you will see this installation and how it will operate on his YouTube!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-18-2021, 03:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Got my computer up and running, so I can continue on with my build blog!

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-16-2021, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rwtdiver
    replied
    Looking good, Rob! I saw you started a message on my site, but there was no content. You cool? Need anything?

Bob
    Thank you Bob!

Today I installed the port and starboard salon frames, and did some fill in around the outside of the frame as needed! I also cleaned up the bottom and top of the hull.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P4150001.jpg Views:	17 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	149019Click image for larger version  Name:	P4150002.jpg Views:	16 Size:	44.6 KB ID:	149020

Rob
    Last edited by rwtdiver; 04-16-2021, 12:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...