X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Nautilus Drydocks - Yesterday's work

Taking inspiration from His Majesty's thread, I want to see if I can scrounge up the discipline to post up daily (ish) updates as to what goes on in the shop here at the Drydocks.

Here's a point-form update of things that don't have accompanying photos:
    1. COVID-19 is messing with my supply chain. Deliveries from some of my overseas vendors are hugely delayed and, in some cases, ceased altogether. Even domestic orders that would typically take a couple of days to get to me are now taking over a week. If I have to order it in, be prepared for a delay in getting your order fulfilled.
    2. I have been nominated for the role of President of the SubCommittee. I, in conjunction with my running-mate, Ed Tordahl (Quartermaster here on the forums) have high hopes that enough of that membership will realize the inevitable path to inconsequence that the organization is currently on and vote to put new, fresh leadership in place. If you aren't already, I'd urge you to become a member (it's $10!) and vote for us when the time comes!
    3. FedEx did me the huge favor of losing my last stocking order of cylinders from David. That would be no less than NINE of the new MSD SubDrivers and a batch of gas backups. They say they delivered it on Saturday. Of course, with the virus, there is no signatures, so the proof of delivery just reads "CV-19". I've got a call in and they're trying to trace now. I've got outstanding customer orders that I was counting on these for. Stupid virus. Stupid FedEx.
    4. Two quick builds over the next couple of weeks. Both are based off of subs that I took in trade or outright purchased. One is the very unique Japanese Kairyu midget sub, and the other is a DK Models 48th scale Type VII. Both have the hulls 90% done. I just need to drop in a cylinder, test and trim, and do final cosmetics.
    Okay... a few pictures of stuff n' things from yesterday's work:

My daily workout regime is slaughtered. I usually take CrossFit-inspired classes at my local gym. Of course, now we're forced to do it all via online workouts. I've got no weights, so I make do with what is laying around. Logan and I are trying to do daily exercise. This was part of yesterday's workout with me using our little backup generator for weight:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200330_090900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.5 KB ID:	137466

I just got a new workbench for my 3D printing station. Got it put together and set up in the morning while the rest of the clan slept. Much better than my abomination of plastic shelves and collapsing tables I had previously!:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200328_121308.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	137465

Work continues on the big German Type VII for Marcel up in Quebec. Inspired by Ed's writeup on his Skipjack, and proven with my MSS experiment (click here for the write up on that one if you haven't already seen it) I am working on the rear control compartment. This one houses the twin drive motors, ESC, rudder and rear plane servos, Depth Controller, Battery and Link Monitor, Pitch Controller, ballast air pump, equalization valve, emergency blow switch and HP15 electronic switch for ballast.

Yes, it looks like not much more than a container of multicolored spaghetti with metal meatballs, but trust me, it works (or it should... I really HOPE it does....)

The forward control module will house bow thruster controls, servos for bow planes, bow plane retracts, torpedo doors and torpedoes, along with the periscope pump.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200330_200242.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.9 KB ID:	137467Click image for larger version  Name:	20200330_200240.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	137468

This is the new programming and test rig that I built for the superb little BLHeli32 ESC's that Andy put me on to for the new MSD cylinders. The ESC's are literally the size of a postage stamp and offer TONS of programmable features. This rig allows me to program each ESC and test for functionality before bundling with the cylinders for shipping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200330_113437.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	137469
    Attached Files
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Is that motor/esc rig mounted on a sheet of metal or plastic? If it's the latter then you might want to flip the esc over the other way, as I think the mosfets may be face down at the moment, and that won't help them keep cool.

Good luck with the SC nomination, but you'll be up against it in my opinion. Although membership get a chance to vote in for a new president, vice president and treasurer every three years or so, the executive committee remains the same, and any shift in leadership will need their support or the ability to successfully persuade them to a shift in strategy. The recent untimely passing of Jeff Larue may concentrate minds a little.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      • Aug 2009

Andy,

The rig is plastic. Bear in mind that there is no heat buildup during programming, and testing takes about 3 seconds, so no appreciable heat will be generated. All that said, I can also simply flip the ESC over if it's determined to be an issue.

I hear you concerning the SC leadership. Both Ed and I have both decided this is our last "kick at the can" in terms of pushing for change. If this doesn't work, then the ideas and energy will be re-allocated and focused here with the same initiatives and ideas, but a different platform.

Comment

• Subculture
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

If it's just for programming and light loads then no problem, I thought you were going to be using it for testing props etc. If you use a arduino uno or nano to program the escs, you can program several at once , which saves a lot of faffing about.

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

With regards to the SC, I haven't been a memebr for about three years now. I think my last post over on their forum was to challenge why they needed the best part of twenty thousand dollars in the bank when the costs of running the group were very low with electronic publication, and that there appeared to be no clear strategy how to use these funds for the benefit of the hobby.

I was rebuked by claiming I just wanted my cut by the President at the time. At that point I decided I'd had enough.

Two of the main problems with the SC are- it's boring, and it's closed off. The AMS made the same mistakes years ago and destroyed itself.
          Last edited by RCSubGuy; 12-17-2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
            With regards to the SC, I haven't been a memebr for about three years now. I think my last post over on their forum was to challenge why they needed the best part of twenty thousand dollars in the bank when the costs of running the group were very low with electronic publication, and that there appeared to be no clear strategy how to use these funds for the benefit of the hobby.

I was rebuked by claiming I just wanted my cut by the President at the time, Matt Thor. At that point I decided I'd had enough.

Two of the main problems with the SC are- it's boring, and it's closed off. The AMS made the same mistakes years ago and destroyed itself.
            To pile on to what Andy said.

Any social group (associations, groups, forums, fraternities, unruly mob, whatever-you-want-to-call-them) that ignores its charter/mandate -- the reason the group formed in the first place -- soon devolves into a pack of like-minded 'good old boy's' who are too secure in their positions; good old boy's who are made uncomfortable by those who promote useful argument, change, and new ideas. They secure their position through 'elections'. The power of incumbency is considerable. The gloves must come off. You enter this contest disadvantaged.

Now, for some unsolicited campaign advice to Bob and Ed: to win the SC President and vice President positions, reach out to the only active non-executive office holding modelers of the SC -- there are about ten of them. Pitch those guys; mobilize them to reach out and persuade their SC associates; get them to do your foot-work. Your platform will be a simple one: Advancement of the Craft; secure use of regional bodies of water (holding ponds, Mall water displays, community pools, private club pools, government facilities (escape training, tow tanks, recreational lakes and pools); aggressively present the activities of the SC to local, national, and international media outlets (generate a SC media hand-book); and dropping the pay-wall at the SC forum.

One more thing -- and I'll take the arrows for mentioning this: there has been theft of funds over there at the SC. Play on that! Ask the pointed question: where has the money gone since the beginning of the SC? It's gone to more than publishing houses and the USPS. Look under this rock and expose all the critters hiding in the dirt. Do this and you will either destroy the SC or save it.

If you're going to play …PLAY!

David
            Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-31-2020, 09:20 AM.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Never seen figures for how many members voted in the SC elections.

I don't know anything about any misappropriation of funds, but have had experience of it happening in another society I used to belong to. It's a very difficult thing to prove usually, as most positions rely to some extent on a degree of trust. In the case I remember funds obtained via raffles, tea money etc. was pocketed by a section leader and used as a personal piggy bank for fags and booze, and because it was all cash in hand with no receipts, there was no paper trail.

He also drained a club account to just a few pounds- enough to prevent the account being closed and alerting suspicion. That money was paid back, but by other club members who were related to the individual concerned, and only on condition that the club chairman didn't go to the police about the matter. Caused quite a row at the time.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                • Aug 2009

Yesterday's work:

It's a pre-Easter miracle! After talking through the lost shipment of cylinders with FedEx for about half an hour, they reviewed the GPS logs of the driver and determined that he dropped the boxes two doors down. That neighbor is down here only seasonally, so no one has been home there for weeks. While I was on the phone, I walked over and.. sure enough... there was the missing box! HUGE sigh of relief.

I also wanted to acknowledge David M's massive generosity in offering to work with me in case the box was never found. Having to absorb that kind of loss would have been a huge blow to my business.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_211354.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.2 KB ID:	137503

More work on the XXI!: I completed most of the work on the rear drive module and moved on to the forward compartment. This one will house the geared water pump for hydraulically actuating the periscopes, an ESC to control that, an HP15 switch to control the bow thrusters, and four servos, one each for: retracting planes, bow planes, torp doors and torp launch. I may link the torp doors and retracting planes to operate from one servo, freeing up one for future expansion. That means that the torp doors will open when the planes extend, which is basically what you'd want anyway. We'll see how I feel when I start hooking up linkages.

All four servos are running linear conversions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_211424.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	137502

I also worked on installing the bow thrusters in the XXI. I'd originally envisioned using my own bow thruster design. In testing, however, I couldn't replicate the efficiency and performance of out-of-the box Rule bilge pumps. Stupid me should have thought of that earlier. In this setup, each thruster works to push the boat in one direction, blowing through a stainless steel mesh. They're forward enough that they'll get a great turning moment about the length of the model. To save channels, I'll likely rig these up with rudders. Because I'm using the HP15 switch, they won't come on until rudder hits about 50% throw, whether the boat is moving forward or not.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_140609.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	137494

I also had time to fabricate and install the emergency gas backup system. This will be plumbed into the pressure equalization channel, so it will be manually controllable and also automatically triggered by the onboard BLM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200331_140603.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	137505

New boats!

I ended up trading Steve for his gorgeous 35th scale Nautilus and an old 32nd Parallel Type VII. They were shipped freight on a massive wooden pallet and they arrived yesterday from California. I enlisted the help of my son, Logan, to unpack and demolish the pallet. Nothing like prying at a massive wooden pallet with a claw hammer in 90 degree heat to help build character!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_133510.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	137493

The boats are really unique and I'm very happy with them. The Nautilus is built from the now out-of-production Custom Replicas 66" kit. This one had a really interesting story in that it started as a commissioned build for Steve years and years ago. I shipped him the kit and it arrived with twin dually truck tire tracks directly down the center of it. UPS paid for a new kit, but Steve worked model magic on the damaged hull and brought it back to glorious life once again, building it into his personal boat.

This one has full LED lighting and all of the Gen 3 upgrades, including the photoetched brass deck and upgraded wheelhouse. It was originally built for an OTW cylinder, but I am loving the MSS modular box idea so much that I'm thinking I'll slate that for this boat if and when someone commissions me to build it for them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_145730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	137499Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_150123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	137504

The second boat started as a standard 32 Parallel hull and then Steve added his own tower. Lots of extra details added such as weld lines.

It was built using the old school dry hull methodology. Basically there were three compartments. While it's possible that it could have been resuscitated and re-launched using the original guts, I decided that the boat deserved better. Within 30 minutes, I had it completed gutted and ready for installation of a new, modern cylinder. Due to the hull access, I'm thinking a 3" tube for the motors and servos and a 4" diameter tank would be ideal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_140858.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	137497Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_141521.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.7 KB ID:	137496Click image for larger version  Name:	20200331_144646.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.9 KB ID:	137498

Both of these boats will eventually find their way onto my site to be offered for sale. Stand by for more details once I get them listed!

Today will see some consult work for my former employer. Not sub-stuff, so likely no update there. I'm also picking and packing orders that these lost SubDrivers go with. Not glamorous, but necessary to keep you customers happy!

Bob
                Attached Files
                Last edited by RCSubGuy; 04-01-2020, 06:13 AM.

Comment

• SteveNeill
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2020

Bob so glad to see them there. No matter how many times I ship boats I always sweat it!

Comment

• george
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2010

Never mind picture #1 you working on a six pack. How about a kegger?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      • Aug 2009

So, mostly housekeeping yesterday.

Picked, packed and shipped three starter kits and two small orders. I've started revising the website to reflect the new products and pricing. I also had a two-hour meeting with a customer for consult work throwing back to my previous employment.

No pictures, but rest assured, it was a full day.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        • Aug 2009

A lot done with few photos to show for it!

Lots of progress on the forward command module for the XXI. I played around with using a smaller gearpump for the periscopes, but it was designed for 6V and while it pumped as well as the big one on 12V, it was screaming and I don't like the long-term reliability forecast for it. That said, I'll stick with the big, oversized pump. The good thing about that is that the new owner could potentially plumb in other features that could be hydraulically actuated at the same time as the periscopes with plenty of flow to spare.

Name:	20200402_152300.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	137587

Today's tragedy (that David will no doubt secretly or not so secretly revel in). I was working on the new LA 3D printed prototype, doing some filling, sanding and priming. I wet-sand most of my work now, so I was working outside. I laid on some filler primer and then got a call from my former employer regarding a project that I'm working on for them. I had to drop my stuff and head inside for just shy of an hour.

When I got back, the entire hull was, for lack of a better term, melted. The upper hull, having been printed at a thickness of 2.5mm, was flattened, having spread about 2" from where it was supposed to be. The lower hull is thicker at 4mm thickness, but still warped along the entire length.

Could it be salvaged? Eh, maybe, but it would take a couple of hours of heating, bracing, cooling, heating and re-bracing, and it might never get back to proper shape. Taking my licks, I busted it back into it's component sections and threw it in the recycle bin. This will give me the chance to modify the files to make assembly easier, stronger, and incorporate the bulkheads for mounting the cylinder, too.

As a reminder, this file was created in conjunction with a gentleman up in Canada. He did the lion's share of the design, and I tweaked the files for better RC application. Hoping to nail this down and offer the files in the coming weeks.

Name:	20200402_133627.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	137586Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-04-03 053920.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	137588

Other than that, a few orders shipped and a big shipment of cardboard boxes on a pallet received, unpacked and put into stock.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
                          A lot done with few photos to show for it!

Lots of progress on the forward command module for the XXI. I played around with using a smaller gearpump for the periscopes, but it was designed for 6V and while it pumped as well as the big one on 12V, it was screaming and I don't like the long-term reliability forecast for it. That said, I'll stick with the big, oversized pump. The good thing about that is that the new owner could potentially plumb in other features that could be hydraulically actuated at the same time as the periscopes with plenty of flow to spare.

Name:	20200402_152300.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	137587

Today's tragedy (that David will no doubt secretly or not so secretly revel in). I was working on the new LA 3D printed prototype, doing some filling, sanding and priming. I wet-sand most of my work now, so I was working outside. I laid on some filler primer and then got a call from my former employer regarding a project that I'm working on for them. I had to drop my stuff and head inside for just shy of an hour.

When I got back, the entire hull was, for lack of a better term, melted. The upper hull, having been printed at a thickness of 2.5mm, was flattened, having spread about 2" from where it was supposed to be. The lower hull is thicker at 4mm thickness, but still warped along the entire length.

Could it be salvaged? Eh, maybe, but it would take a couple of hours of heating, bracing, cooling, heating and re-bracing, and it might never get back to proper shape. Taking my licks, I busted it back into it's component sections and threw it in the recycle bin. This will give me the chance to modify the files to make assembly easier, stronger, and incorporate the bulkheads for mounting the cylinder, too.

As a reminder, this file was created in conjunction with a gentleman up in Canada. He did the lion's share of the design, and I tweaked the files for better RC application. Hoping to nail this down and offer the files in the coming weeks.

Name:	20200402_133627.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	137586Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-04-03 053920.jpg
Views:	1387
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	137588

Other than that, a few orders shipped and a big shipment of cardboard boxes on a pallet received, unpacked and put into stock.

David
                          Buggy Whip Maker
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Rick Teskey
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2009

Who was the Canadian? Dwayne?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                              • Aug 2009

No, a gentleman by the name of Randy. I don't know that Dwayne's CAD skills are up to that level (though I could be wrong!).

Yesterday didn't see a lot of building getting done, but there was a lot of other work going on. I sold the big Nautilus within minutes of listing it for sale on my site and sending my newsletter out. If you haven't subscribed to my newsletter, it's a monthly summary of what I did over the previous 30 days, upcoming products, announcements, etc. If you haven't signed up, I recommend it!

Most of my time was spent cleaning my home shop. Over the years, my parts bins got polluted and filled with all sorts of miscellaneous stuff n' things. It's amazing what I found when I was digging through all of the bins, drawers and shelves. There is definitely something cathartic about cleaning and organizing. Walking into the garage now is deeply satisfying! Sometimes you just need to take a break from the work and let the simple act of organizing something rest your brain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200403_131631.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	137626Click image for larger version  Name:	20200403_131652.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.2 KB ID:	137625Click image for larger version  Name:	20200403_131642.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	137627

Logan got the base coat of paint onto the Batsub. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, this boat started life as a Holland 6 hull that David Merriman won at a SubCommittee raffle eons ago. He converted it to something fun, great-performing and fun to drive. It ended up in storage for years until he gifted me the model a few months ago. Once we got it here, my son, Logan, fell in love with it and I put him in charge of the entire refurbishment, including sourcing, setting up and installing a new cylinder, cleaning up the linkages, and putting a new paint job on her.

We're getting close now. Hopefully within a few weeks she will be wet!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200403_131804.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.6 KB ID:	137629

During cleaning, I stumbled on a whole box of brand new hobby knives that I got from Don ages ago. It's time to find them a good home. From now until they're gone, every order shipped receives a free hobby knife!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200403_132104.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.9 KB ID:	137628

As part of my deal to take on Matt Thor's products, I ended up with beautiful CAD files for the 571 Nautilus. I have the blank hull master in 72nd scale, but as I now cad the 3D files, I will be making this my next 3D file offering, rendered in 1/96 scale. It shouldn't take long to flesh out with drain holes, limber holes, etc. I think it will be a really slick model when it's all done! I'm excited!

Name:	571Nautilus.jpg
Views:	1519
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	137630
                              Last edited by RCSubGuy; 04-04-2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...