• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Blubaugh
    Ensign
    • Jun 2023

Potential Inclusion of ROS-2 for Underwater Robotics and Submarines

Dear Nautilus Drydocks RC Submarines Group,
    I am writing to discuss an exciting possibility that could enhance the capabilities of underwater robotics and RC submarines within our community. In addition to my previous inquiry about supporting autonomous deep learning-based vehicles for exploring challenging environments, I would like to explore the potential inclusion of the Robotic Operating System 2 (ROS-2) as a topic of discussion.
    ROS-2 is a robust framework designed specifically for developing advanced robotics applications. While ROS (Robot Operating System) has gained popularity in various robotic domains, including aerial and ground vehicles, its potential for underwater robotics and RC submarines is yet to be fully explored within our community.
    ROS-2 offers several benefits and features that could significantly improve the capabilities and functionality of underwater robotic systems. It provides a flexible and modular architecture, allowing for easy integration of sensors, actuators, and algorithms, which is crucial for developing autonomous systems capable of exploring challenging environments. The support for real-time communication, distributed computing, and hardware abstraction makes ROS-2 ideal for complex underwater robotics applications.
    By incorporating ROS-2 discussions into our community, we can delve into topics such as:
    1. Integration of ROS-2 with underwater sensors and actuators: Discuss the challenges and best practices for integrating various sensors, such as sonar systems, depth sensors, and hydrophones, with ROS-2 to enable precise perception and control in underwater environments.
    2. Autonomous navigation and mapping: Exploring ROS-2 frameworks and algorithms for autonomous navigation, simultaneous localization and mapping (SLAM), and path planning tailored explicitly for underwater robotics. This could involve sharing experiences, discussing algorithms, and guiding on implementing these techniques in RC submarines.
    3. Collaboration and knowledge sharing: Creating a platform within our community to exchange ideas, share experiences, and collaborate on ROS-2-based projects focused on underwater robotics. This collaborative environment would foster innovation, accelerate learning, and promote the development of advanced autonomous systems.
    4. ROS-2 tutorials and resources: Curating and sharing tutorials, guides, and resources tailored to underwater robotics and RC submarines. These materials would assist enthusiasts and hobbyists in adopting ROS-2 for their projects and encourage further exploration of its capabilities.
    Including ROS-2 as a topic of discussion within our community would expand our knowledge base and empower us to explore new frontiers in underwater robotics. By leveraging the features and advantages of ROS-2, we can foster advancements in autonomous capabilities, perception, and control within the RC submarine domain.
    I kindly request your thoughts and feedback on incorporating ROS-2 discussions into the Nautilus Drydocks RC Submarines Group's community. Your insights and expertise would be invaluable in shaping the direction of this potential endeavor.
    Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing your perspectives on this proposal and any suggestions you may have.
    Warm regards,
    David Allen Blubaugh

• redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

The level of automation most RC submariners usually require are automatic depth control and automatic trim or pitch control.
      Autonomous Navigation NOT a priority. Almost all drive HOTAS or Hands On Throttle And Stick.

As for exploring challenging environments what's challenging about your local swimming pool or pond?

Comment

• David Blubaugh
        Ensign
        • Jun 2023

Well your local swimming pool or pond would be your training area- to train your autonomous robot the correct methods for sailing, diving, and underwater operations. The swimming pool will be the perfect place to test an autonomous submarine prior to deployment to a real environment such as a local pond, waterway, or canal to explore these areas. You will always find something new in Florida's waterway systems with autonomous submarines.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

You got the wrong house.

Folk here just like to drive and talk about their boats while standing next to the grill holding a can of beer.

Comment

• David Blubaugh
            Ensign
            • Jun 2023

ALSO PLEASE THINK OF ANOTHER POSSIBILITY !!!!

Mock sea or underwater battles between autonomous submarines offer an exciting and immersive experience for RC submarine enthusiasts. Participants would program their autonomous submarines to engage in simulated battles in controlled environments. These battles would encourage technological innovation, skill enhancement, community building, and serve as an educational platform for aspiring roboticists. Equipping RC submarines with autonomous capabilities and organizing competitions would be key to realizing this concept.

Comment

• David Blubaugh
              Ensign
              • Jun 2023

THE OTHER REASON

RC submarines are a good source of parts for autonomous underwater drones. YOU THINK RC SUBMARINES ARE EXPENSIVE...... WELL they pale in comparison to finding parts for TRUE military grade autonomous underwater drone components. That is why I have come here is to eventually purchase those parts from nautilus drydocks....

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

1. I actually agree that this is a very relevant topic, and there are (a few) of us here that would find interest in further discussions on this.
                2. David Blubaugh, yes, you spammed the forum. I'm deleting the duplicate postings. Plastering the same message in multiple forums does not give you more exposure, it ****es off everyone that has to see their feed inundated with the same information over and over again.
                3. Attacking the general RC submarine populace based on one comment is bad form and will not help you with your goal of exposure to your product.
                4. I, for one, am completely open to continuing discussion here. For those that don't feel it's relevant, don't read it, just like any other topic you aren't interested in. On the other side of the coin, the original poster can take a deep breath and reset or he can find another sandbox to play in.

Comment

• TuptubBuilder
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Sep 2020

Not to discourage you, but in my humble opinion, it’s all about the packaging. To quote a certain movie line: “you’re gonna need a bigger boat.” May I suggest that you consider building a BlueROV2 by Blue Robotics as an easier prototype before attempting a scale submarine with sonar, depth control, etc. At any rate, best of luck to your endeavor.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Basically you want to build something like this
                    https://newatlas.com/marine/hydrus-a...water-vehicle/ or build a 1/48 scale Ohio class with onboard AI and unleash it a pond to conduct undersea wargames.
                    Last edited by redboat219; 06-09-2023, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
                      1. 2. David Blubaugh, yes, you spammed the forum. I'm deleting the duplicate postings. Plastering the same message in multiple forums does not give you more exposure, it ****es off everyone that has to see their feed inundated with the same information over and over again.
                        3.Attacking the general RC submarine populace based on one comment is bad form and will not help you with your goal of exposure to your product.
                      Like my wife asked that one time...

You wanna put what where????

We do have a GATO Sub on Ebay to sell you Mr. Blubaugh

1/32 MASSIVE 9’ 9” 32nd parallel rc submarine gato balao class us fleet boat kit
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• JHapprich
                        Captain
                        • Oct 2017

Sounds reasonable. Are those allowed in Florida?

Comment

Working...