Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Yeah i know, me like complexity, frankly said, i have no idea how they kept their torps inside the tubes, there was no room to use those lockingballs as used on your gastorps, so i ended up with the hook thingy, on the dry it works well.
    This week i'll do some testing with launching from the tubes and give the mechanism a rub down to iron out the defects.

Manfred.
    I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by MFR1964
      Yeah i know, me like complexity, frankly said, i have no idea how they kept their torps inside the tubes, there was no room to use those lockingballs as used on your gastorps, so i ended up with the hook thingy, on the dry it works well.
      This week i'll do some testing with launching from the tubes and give the mechanism a rub down to iron out the defects.

Manfred.
      I love watching the Master at work (don't tell anyone I just said that!).

David
      In Training
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
        • Sep 2010

As for the Master thing, i screwed up my torps, that is, props only, the rest is fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	135254

During a few tests the propblades started to bend towards the torpedo-body, you would expect the other way, the other prop simply shattered, i must remark, all blades are silver soldered for strenght, what the hell is going on!!!

Name:	IMG_1815.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	135255

I still want to do some tests this weekend, so i ended up with a slight modification, three blades nylon props, also a bit smaller diameter.

Name:	IMG_1823.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	135256

I coocked my brains about the propellor issue, my theory is that starting up those high torque torps sends a pressure wave agains the closed back of my tubes, this would explain the prop blades being bent towards the torpedo-body, the light went on when i was thinking about the tubes of my type XXIII, same method of launching but no shattered blades, the picture shows my solution, drilled as many holes i could into the backplate of my tubes.
        Now the pressure wave has a way to get away instead of deflecting, pretty much the same arrangement as on my type XXIII, tomorrow i'll shoot some vids about launching the torps, stay tuned.

Manfred.

I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
          • Sep 2010

As promised the Vid,

After this test i decided to molest the tubes even more,

Name:	IMG_1837.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	135310

To solve the issue of pressure even more, i decided to drill some holes into the sides of the tubes.

Name:	IMG_1838.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	135311

As you can see i now have some inlets to get me a better free waterflow when starting up the torps.

For now i'll dig up the jigg for reparing the old brass props and do some more testing with those props to see if my modifications work.

Manfred.
          I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Props are refurbished, so ready for some testing, and now another issue, i don't want to run my boat with the torpedo's always inside, leaving the tubes open will give problems with scooping up all the water during driving.

Name:	IMG_1824.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	135654

So i made this, a set of plugs to place inside the tubes when i don't run the torps.

Name:	IMG_1826.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	135655

They fitt tightly inside the tubes, also added some slots for securing the plugs.

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	135656

This is inside the plug, by turning the nut at the front you can lock them inside the slots of my tube.

Name:	IMG_1832.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	135657

Next stage in the evolution, stuffed as many holes i can get inside the plug, the goal is to get no airbubbles inside, that piece of styrodure at the end is used to get me a neutral bouyency, this way i can trim the boat with plugs inside the tubes.
            Why?, most of the time you will drive your boat without the torps, when you use them it will create some positive bouyency, i want to have my boat level after firing the torps and not drive her as some drunken idiot with the nose down, due to loss of bouyency.

Name:	IMG_1828.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	135658

So most of the time i will drive her like this, those targets have to take the gamble if she is plugged or armed.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• Bob Gato
              Captain
              • Feb 2019

"During a few tests the propblades started to bend towards the torpedo-body, you would expect the other way, the other prop simply shattered, i must remark, all blades are silver soldered for strenght, what the hell is going on!!!"

Sorry to see such nice work come apart by a marketing misunderstanding-That wasn't silver solder (noted by the dull gray color seen in the pictures) as is commonly thought of as silver solder- It was probably plumbing solder with silver in it (as found in Home Depot) that usually melts at around 450*F. Its just a little bit stronger then lead solder-True silver solder (now branded and referred to as silver brazing) melts at between 800*F and 1100*F. It is actually stronger than the brass! and will also join steel.
              As for the prop blades-bear in mind that the prop is trying to pull the torp forward...the forces on the prop tips are fwd and ultimately in an arc down to the torpedo body-the heat of soldering annealed the brass and probably made it very soft.Example-in airplane accident investigations ...if the prop blades are bent back when the aircraft contacted the ground, it means that the power was reduced or none- but if they were bent forward it means the ground was contacted with power on.
              Last edited by Bob Gato; 12-26-2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• MFR1964
                • Sep 2010

Thanks for the explanation about the socalled silversolder, next time i will pay attention if it's the reall stuff, got me only 10 inch of that wrong stuff, i'll contact the local jewellers shop to get me the real stuff.

Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• Bob Gato
                  Captain
                  • Feb 2019

Hey Manfred.. I don't know if you have a welding supply shop near you but that would be the best place to buy silver solder and the flux that would be required for it... And a regular propane or MAPP gas torch is sufficient to do small jobs..

Comment

• MFR1964
                    • Sep 2010

For now most shops are closed during these holidays, within a few weeks everybody is up and running, that will be the moment i will hunt the stuff down, i do own a small torch on butane gas, only have to get me some real silversolder and some flux.

To kill the time i've started with building up the SD, the servo's are ordered, pictures will follow soon.

Manfred.
                    I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                      • Sep 2010

Firstly, happy newyear to all you bubbleheads.

As promised i'll post some pics from the progress i made these days, i allways like to molest David's SD's to my own standards.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1839.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	135813

The beginning with the motorpart

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1840.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	135814

Placed the ESC and a Sombra SL8, re-routed the airlines by drilling some holes through the aluminum, this way the transistion is better, at least to my taste.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1841.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	135815

De-sparked the e-motor with the usual condensators, i never take the gamble if that motor is allready de-sparked factory stile without knowing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1842.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	135816

Drilled the holes for my steering-rods which will control the torpedo tubes,and placed the feedthroughs, a old style powerswitch which i can access easely by taking of the " magnetic" bowpart.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1844.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	135817

The batterypack made from Eneloop cells, 7,2 Volt 2,5 Ah, i chose the heavy cells above a lipo because i want to have some weigth under the waterline, better heavy cells then useless lead.
                      The fat leads are for the power of the SD itself, the slim one's for charching the pack while it stays inside the SD.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1843.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	135818

So that was the boring part, for now i'm playing around with building up the plumbing Type XXIII style, me like tighty SD outside.

Manfred.
                      Last edited by MFR1964; 01-02-2020, 04:08 PM.
                      I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Firstly, happy newyear to all you bubbleheads.

As promised i'll post some pics from the progress i made these days, i allways like to molest David's SD's to my own standards.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1839.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	135813

The beginning with the motorpart

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1840.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	135814

Placed the ESC and a Sombra SL8, re-routed the airlines by drilling some holes through the aluminum, this way the transistion is better, at least to my taste.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1841.JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	135815

De-sparked the e-motor with the usual condensators, i never take the gamble if that motor is allready de-sparked factory stile without knowing.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1842.JPG Views:	0 Size:	48.4 KB ID:	135816

Drilled the holes for my steering-rods which will control the torpedo tubes,and placed the feedthroughs, a old style powerswitch which i can access easely by taking of the " magnetic" bowpart.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1844.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.1 KB ID:	135817

The batterypack made from Eneloop cells, 7,2 Volt 2,5 Ah, i chose the heavy cells above a lipo because i want to have some weigth under the waterline, better heavy cells then useless lead.
                        The fat leads are for the power of the SD itself, the slim one's for charching the pack while it stays inside the SD.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1843.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	135818

So that was the boring part, for now i'm playing around with building up the plumbing Type XXIII style, me like tighty SD outside.

Manfred.
                        God damn, Manfred!! … why don't you get it over with, bend that poor SubDriver over a barrel, and have you way with it!????

I send you a perfectly good WTC and you strap it to the lab table, cut it up, and turn the poor thing into Frenkinstein's half-brother!

Damned foreigners -- why do I bother!????

(by the way, nice work on display here, as usual, Manfred).

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                          • Sep 2010

Hah!!!, (thundering voice) IT'S ALIVE!!!!,IT'S ALIVE!!!!

It has become a MD (Manfredised Driver) instead of a SD, as for annoying you, i just like to poke you with a sharp stick to keep you sharp.

Greetings from the Great Foreigner Metric Empire.

Manfred.
                          I went underground

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hah!!!, (thundering voice) IT'S ALIVE!!!!,IT'S ALIVE!!!!

It has become a MD (Manfredised Driver) instead of a SD, as for annoying you, i just like to poke you with a sharp stick to keep you sharp.

Greetings from the Great Foreigner Metric Empire.

Manfred.
                            This Type-A of yours is perhaps the most ambitious r/c submarine project I've seen to date. It's most instructive to observe your solutions to big-league problems. A real beauty, Manfred.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                              • Sep 2010

Thanks,

I agree there is a lot of work envolved, building the hull/plug took most of the time, unfortunally there where running some side-projects through this build, at the end she will see the water, servo's are ordered.

Name:	IMG_1845.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	135856

Next batch of plumbing is ready, the white tubes are plastick, they will be used for the antenna wire.

Name:	IMG_1846.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	135855

This piece of tubing will go to the float of the SAS, it will be connected by a hose to the connecter which is present on the bulkhead of my middle part, i will take some pics to explain that, also pulled some extra wires to the frontpart of the SD for running the angle keeper and launchtube servo's.

Manfred.

Attached Files
                              I went underground

Comment

• MFR1964
                                • Sep 2010

Ran into a ittybitty problem with the SL8, it would not hold the paired channel after power down,

Name:	IMG_1856.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	135982

Since i don't have any SL8 receivers anymore i came up with this, rewired a shadow programmer and connected it to the SL8

Name:	IMG_1850.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	135986

Normally you have to push a button on the shadow programmer to add the setting, i came up with the waterproof push switch to imitate that.

Name:	IMG_1857.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	135983

Soldered the switching wire paralel to the onboard switch, yet again i had to pull some extra wires to the frontpart of the SD.

Name:	IMG_1848.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	135984

Name:	IMG_1849.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	135985

I finished up the external plumbing on the SD, as intended i've got me a clean SD outside with a minimum stuff sticking out.

After this contraption was wired out into the SD i could start with some basic testing, it revealed that using the shadow programmer wired into the SL8 worked as intended, so, first you have to power up the SD, then you push the watertight pushswitch and the SL8 is paired and ready to use.

End of this week the servo's will arrive, so i can start building up the front bulkhead for receiving the two torpedo servo's and finish the soldering connectors on the extra wiring.

Manfred.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by MFR1964; 01-09-2020, 01:53 PM.
                                I went underground

Comment

Working...