Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MFR1964
    Detail Nut of the First Order
    • Sep 2010

Do i hear kairyu kit?, no hull?, maybe we can do something about that, slap!!, slap!!, back to the cave, finish your Ko Hyoteki!!. Yes master!!

Manfred.
    Last edited by MFR1964; 03-04-2016, 12:23 PM.
    I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
      Rear Admiral
      • Oct 2011

What about the kit with all the bell cranks and little parts for the rudders and planes? I could utilize one of those if you have any left.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
        What about the kit with all the bell cranks and little parts for the rudders and planes? I could utilize one of those if you have any left.

I'll check the sheds tomorrow, Dave.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by MFR1964
          Do i hear kairyu kit?, no hull?, maybe we can do something about that, slap!!, slap!!, back to the cave, finish your Ko Hyoteki!!. Yes master!!
          Manfred.
          Manfred, that hull has several varients you know. Use the same center section with different, bows, tails and towers and anti fowling gear. A Sydney type B with the cool saw looking diflector on the tower or a different stern fins like the Kairyu and tower varients.

Comment

• MFR1964
            • Sep 2010

Von, that will be something for the future when the Ko Hyoteki is done, i did played with the thought of making a modular mold, so i can use different parts depending on which sub you want to build, as for the front antifauling part,

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2160441_zpspu2nqiyc.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	112887

I can take mine off, the plug has to be stripped from all parts when i want to mold her.

Name:	P2130432_zpsfu1vowsl.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	112888

Remember that reinforcement rod?, it's made like this, a piece of thread at the back, so by turning it round it will release the bowpart from the nut inside, so building a B type bowpart is possible and can be swapped with the A type bowpart.

Name:	P2210449_zpssyrbnsnl.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	112889

Right now she's on the bench, hollowed out the frontplate for the future tubes, resizing the pyramid part on the reinforcement rod, and started adding the rivets on the pads, bought those from a RChelicopter shop, guys at our dutch forum use them to scale up their helicopters, the head of that rivet is abour 1,5 mm, shaft about 1 mm, so i will use them also to make my tower and hull more scale, they send them in bulk, 1200 in one package, enough to build me several subs.

Manfred.
            I went underground

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

That's outstandig with the rivets, I've seen several 3 dimensional wax and resin ones in various scales stuck on transfer paper. Neve had the chance to try them. Usually press my own from the back of apiece of metal with a tool. Time consuming for sure.

Comment

• Albion
                Captain
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

No, I don't believe so. I went as far as to produces an 'enhancement' fittings kit to improve the detailing of the basic William's kit -- but he stopped producing the kits (I think he assumed room temperature a while back). So, there I was: some beautiful appendages with no hull kit to go with them. Damn!
                M
                Hmm Any drawings, Theres a nice model in war museum in tokyo, but i only got some some blurry photos from my phone. Might need a trip back and some decent snaps
                Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Von Hilde
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Albion
                  Hmm Any drawings, Theres a nice model in war museum in tokyo, but i only got some some blurry photos from my phone. Might need a trip back and some decent snaps
                  quite a few sets of drawings available of the type A, but drawings are not nessissarilly correct. Especially if the person doing the drawings is not equipped with the Mark One Eyeball. There are blueprints as well but they do not depict the detail of the exterior rivets/weld seams ect. If you are referring to the ko hyoteki at the Imperial Japanese war museum on the front lawn, that particular boat was recovered from the Kehi lagoon at Pearl Harbor in 1960 and given back to the Japanese. It was damaged considerablly and was restored somewhat but lacks quite a bit of detail. The best restred example is the Ha19 in Fredricksberg Texas at the Nimitz WWII Pacific museum. Between Manfred and myself, I think we have just about every picture published of the 19 as well as several others of the Pearl Harbor boats, which were the original model type A. The other boats scattered around the world in museums and on the bottom are varrients of the sub. They appear the same to people that arnt familliar with the modifications edevelopment.

Comment

• Albion
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2008

Was looking for drawings of the Kairyu. Which museum is that Kure or Tokyo?
                    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Von Hilde
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Oct 2011

Kairyu is at Yokosuka, much smaller boat then Type A and B midgets. Suiside mission boats with warhead bow, never deployed during the war. Nothing like the Koryu or the Kohyotekis other than being a 2 man operation.

Comment

• MFR1964
                        • Sep 2010

Frontpart is finished, pictures

Name:	P2220450_zpsxkxgktly.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	113059

Soldered all loose parts and sanded it down, the pyramide part of the reinforcement rod is much more to scale.

Name:	P2220452_zpsrkfwauwu.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	113060

Those small rivets are a nice touch, glad i've ordered them, back to the rearpart!!!

Name:	P2240003_zpsupeyqz68.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	113061

Made this as my preparation for placing the rivets at the rearpart, to be continued.

Manfred.
                        I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Manfred....what do you do for a living.....if I may ask? Looks like you have some sheet metal experience. Looking Superb!
                          IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• MFR1964
                            • Sep 2010

Security Engineer, which has nothing to do with metalwork, i did learn a lot on the highschool, working with a lathe and endless filing on a metal cube to get it square on all sides, one of us guys started with a cube sized 5x5 cm, and ended with 1x1 cm, hilarius!!!

Manfred.
                            I went underground

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Manfred and Dave: Your Type-A propellers are almost done, guys. One metal set, and one resin set (if you can't get the c.g. right).

M
                              Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 03-23-2016, 08:15 PM.
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

Wow! Those are magnificent. And old pictures of the full cage as well. Time for me to get cranking. Field day the shop, today, clear the decks, and stand by.

Comment

Working...