Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

That is Sam! He did a good job driving it. It handles so much differently than the Gato. It takes just a light touch on the throttle to get this sub going. It seems like it goes from 0 to 60 in seconds. The turn radius is much tighter on the Skipjack. All that made it a bigger challenge for him.
    Mark, I will see how it goes tonight on hunting for any leaks.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

A video using 3 different cameras. O.K. I am not a videographer. Hope you enjoy anyways.

Peace,
      tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Very, very nice video, Tom. Love the way you have this boat dialed in, pal!

Have you identified the source of SD leaking yet?

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Very, very nice video, Tom. Love the way you have this boat dialed in, pal!

Have you identified the source of SD leaking yet?

M
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

I am sorry for the delay, last night I finished the editing of the movie clip and we had family movie night. Then I went to bed. So, tonight......
            Thank you David, I am glad you liked the video.
            Peace,
            tom

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Great job Tom! Now you just need to get her out in a larger body of water so that you dont have to twist and turn so much. I like starting at the very end of one of two large ponds/lakes that I use. With a strightaway of at least 150 yards, I can set it at periscope depth and let them run the whole length of the lake. Its cool to watch them stay right at that depth the whole way and then hard about and then back the other way. If you have depth keeping problems, then they will reveal themselves then. Come up under some ducks and watch them. They cant see it but somehow they can feel it. When you get too close they scatter.
              IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Mark you forgot to throw in the evil laugh when talking about the ducks. Thank you for the compliment.

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Begin of leak test.
                  This will be very basic to some, but in an effort to help those first timers trouble shoot.
                  First I will try using a vacuum.
                  The schrader valve's stem is removed by unscrewing it using this tool available at any auto store or department that sells auto, bike, or tires.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_322.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	84539

Name:	Skipjack_build_323.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	84540
                  Attach a vinyl tube (This tube is 1/4" OD x .17" ID) This will serve as the port to suck the air out or push air in as needed.

Name:	Skipjack_build_324.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	84541
                  Seal off the SAS induction. For this it is as simple as jamming an awl or scribe into the hose.

Name:	Skipjack_build_325.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	84542
                  Then something to seal the vinyl hose after suction or pressure has been applied.

Name:	Skipjack_build_326.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	84543
                  In this case I was surprised.
                  The battery compartment was leaking pretty bad. It is the o-rings. I had not replaced the one that was nicked and the second one was allowing water to stream in. The amount coming in was at a rate that I could not continue. After I got the unit out of the water, there was some water in the engined room too. So once I get some o-ring replacements, I will do this again.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Cool. Looks like your on top of it. The last time I had trouble with this I used vinyl pinstripe that you buy from the hobby store for stripping airplanes. I put four, five or six wraps in the bottom of the oring groove and it tightened everything up. Leak tested again to be sure. The silicone grease applied liberally helped also.

Comment

• Aug 2008

O-rings on the way, Tom (e-mail me your address again, please).

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

O-rings on the way, Tom (e-mail me your address again, please).

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Wow, that is service! Thank you David. For anyone wondering about service provided by sub-driver.com or D&E Miniatures, here it is! Proof.
                          Thank you again!
                          Hmmmm, now that I have some downtime...... Maybe I should jump into that Type 23!

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Something I heard towards the end of the run was a ticking/growling sound that was in sync with the speed of the prop speed. Since she is in dry-docks, I tried to turn the prop by hand and as it turned it would catch or bind. Opened up the end cap showed me this:

Name:	Skipjack_build_327.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	84548Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_328.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	84549
                            Yes, I bent a tooth in the gear.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Must be a factory defect. If it was an alignment problem, there would be more than one gear tooth worn. That gearbox is usually trouble free.
                              Last edited by greenman407; 11-21-2013, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Im sure Dave can fix you right up. But , if need be you can buy those from "Stock Drive Products"

Comment

Working...