Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Was going to run the Skipjack, but needed to verify my seal, just on the off chance it didn't work. Well it didn't work. Creating a suction in the sub-driver, I could see water coming in the pushrod seal. Crude, I will replace it again...
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Right you are, Manfred. In fact, Tom had sent me some samples of what he's worked up in the way of magnetically latched plumbing connectors, as well as a more robust version of our magnetic linkage connectors. Feast your eyes on his work here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23227[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23228[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23229[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23230[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23231[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23232[/ATTACH]
      G'day Tom,

Was looking at your Air connectors and wondering what part no the magnet's are? Also any pic's of how you constructed the connectors?

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Bruce,
        The magnets I use are these:

Here they are on my Gato build:

and this one here shows more detail

Peace,
        Tom
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Jan 2013

Thanks Mate!!

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

My pleasure! I have not tried it with the SAS system, but it worked great with the SNORT. It is on my to-do list!

Comment

• trout
              Admiral
              • Jul 2011

I needed to make a magnetic connector for the Skipjack.
              The parts needed are:
              Two cylinder magnets
              Two thin slices of 5/32" tubing
              Two 1/8" tubing cut slightly longer than the cylinder magnets
              one 3/32" brass rod just a small section
              Two 3/32" brass tube lengths

This is designed to fit on a 1/16" pushrod.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_build_344.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	91121
              The 5/32" sliver slips on the end of each 1/8" tubing and gets soldered on.
              Cut a length of 3/32" tube and solder so that it is in half way in the 1/8" piece, opposite of where the sliver is soldered. Do this to both 1/8" tubes.
              One 1/8" tube will have the rod inserted in the same side as the sliver and is soldered in.

Name:	Skipjack_build_345.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	91122
              Put it in a lathe or hand piece like a dremel, even a drill press could probably be used. Anyway, using files thin the 1/8" tube until the magnet slips on. Also thin out the sliver. The thinner you make it the closer the magnets will be and stronger the hold. The purpose of the sliver is a stop for the magnet.

Name:	Skipjack_build_346.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	91123
              CA or epoxy the magnets in.
              Last edited by trout; 04-10-2014, 01:57 AM.

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Jan 2013

That's slick! Have you thought about an O ring between the connectors/magnets?

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

Thanks Bruce! Yes, they are used on the Gato for the air connections on the SNORT system.

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Went to Southern California to a Fun Run held at the Yorba Regional Park in Anaheim. What a gorgeous day! I had brought along 3 subs. The Skipjack, Gato and Type XXIII.
                    So let me tell you about the adventures with the Skipjack. Silly me for not getting it and running it in the water beforehand, but certain things came up and I could not. I briefly got the sub in the tub, but that did not tell me much. Anyways, I had made modifications to the servo pushrods and throw of the leveler, added magnetic connectors. This plus adding a different TX module on the WFly radio all combined to on interesting run. At one point the sub did a steep dive and disappeared. I stopped the engines and pushed it over to blow. Then waited and waited (it might have been just seconds, but it seemed like an eternity). Further out in the pond and heading the opposite direction of what the initial dive was, popped up the Skipjack. Thank you David for designing an EXCELLENT Sub-Driver. Once on the surface I brought the sub in and went to change my shorts.

I will open her up and give an update at a later time.

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

Gees, Tom! That totally sucks!!

Gived ya a bit o' the old "Ho-Chi-Minh-2-Step", ey!!??
                      Bummer, dude!!!!

Hope it's an easy fix for you!!

CG

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Jan 2013

went to order some of the cylinder magnets to make some air connectors.....turns out the company won't ship direct to Oz because our stupid Govt has brought in some badly worded regulation that the company doesn't wish to test...yet I could get similar (but not quite same size) from Evil Bay out of China no problems....

What is the world coming too....Hey Dave make some magnetic air connectors then we can buy em from you guys!!

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Bruce, how many do you need?

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by trout
                            Bruce, how many do you need?
                            I was going to get a pack(10 I think) but flat broke for next month due to work van brake repairs!!(the carefully crafted budget went "BOOM".....)

Cheers Bruce

Comment

• HvyCGN9
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jan 2013

Going to get my boat ready for a run this weekend.......weather permitting

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Name:	Revell_Skipjack_2020.jpeg
Views:	331
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	136772

Took the Skipjack out for a shake down run after a winter break. Love the way she handles. Took a video too....will post.

Comment

Working...