Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Just read thru all 21 pages of this Tom. Lots of good information, thanks for posting all the details, will help on my Skipjack. Technology changed from when you first started. One thing I have not embraced is 3D printing, maybe someday.

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Ken, Thank you. If it helped, mission achieved! One thing I am certain of, you will take this to the next level! Technology does change, but the basics are still the same. Look forward to your build and maiden voyage!
      Peace,
      Tom
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by trout
        I needed to make a magnetic connector for the Skipjack.
        The parts needed are:
        Two cylinder magnets
        Two thin slices of 5/32" tubing
        Two 1/8" tubing cut slightly longer than the cylinder magnets
        one 3/32" brass rod just a small section
        Two 3/32" brass tube lengths

This is designed to fit on a 1/16" pushrod.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]27283[/ATTACH]
        The 5/32" sliver slips on the end of each 1/8" tubing and gets soldered on.
        Cut a length of 3/32" tube and solder so that it is in half way in the 1/8" piece, opposite of where the sliver is soldered. Do this to both 1/8" tubes.
        One 1/8" tube will have the rod inserted in the same side as the sliver and is soldered in.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]27284[/ATTACH]
        Put it in a lathe or hand piece like a dremel, even a drill press could probably be used. Anyway, using files thin the 1/8" tube until the magnet slips on. Also thin out the sliver. The thinner you make it the closer the magnets will be and stronger the hold. The purpose of the sliver is a stop for the magnet.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]27286[/ATTACH]
        CA or epoxy the magnets in.
        I have simplified this by deleting the brass sleeve that needed to be turned down. When I epoxy the magnet in, It fills the gap. Makes it a real quick and strong connector. I will post photos when I can.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Today was the open water shakedown cruise. I get really nervous the first few times I run a new sub.
          The run was made easier for two reasons. Neil Schmidt now lives in Las Vegas and came down to watch the sub run. Hanging with friends just makes it that much nicer. Second, the water was very clear. Had great visibility (except for two times when I was goofing around with speed and maneuvers - went deep) and the temperature as not surface of the sun hot!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_Run_06_2020_001.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	141154
          The sub ran well. The only issue is a little porpoising and I will change the sensitivity of the leveler and see how it goes next time out. After one hour, I brought my sub in and at the shore the power light on the Zepsus switch was off. Odd, just figured that was that. When I got home to charge the batteries, as I opened the tube, the power came back on. Still had 12v+ left. Fully charged thee NiMh show 14.2v, so to only drop 2v after an hour that was cool to me. Now I got to find what caused power to go off. Once opened the WTC was bone dry!

Name:	Skipjack_Run_06_2020_003.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	141155Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_Run_06_2020_004.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	141156Click image for larger version

Name:	Skipjack_Run_06_2020_002.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	141157

As far as trim goes, I think I am there.
          Here is the way it is as of today

Name:	Skipjack_Trim_013.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	141158
          Magnetic connector and my own pro shaft connector. Magnets were used on the prop shaft connector, but probably not necessary.

Name:	Skipjack_Trim_012.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	141159
          Most of the weight was below piston tank. There is a small slice in the bow.

Name:	Skipjack_Trim_011.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	141160
          All for that I used was in the aft of the sub.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Thank you!
            I cannot take credit for the paint job or a majority of the assembly, Rob, that was David Merriman's handiwork. I added some "stuff" and got it running. That I can take credit for.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

Looks great Tom! Nice run!

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Thanks Ken!

Comment

• MFR1964
                  Detail Nut of the First Order
                  • Sep 2010

That looks good Tom, i wish i had such clear water nearby, how did your ballasttank preform?

Manfred.
                  I went underground

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

The ballast tank ran very well! The only issue I have is my battery pack. For some reason, if the pack gets squeezed too much, it will cut off which happened after it ran for an hour. I may redesign it or get rid of the plastic holders and put the contacts on the bulkheads.

I look forward to getting this out again and seeing what it can do or better put how long it can run. Right now I am adding decals and will finish the exterior.
                    I do like a piston system.
                    Last edited by trout; 06-28-2020, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

I need to apologize first about this video, I was playing with speed and depth so doing two things at once was not my gifting.

Comment

• Ken_NJ
                        Captain
                        • Sep 2014

Nice, wish I had a clear lake like that here in NJ

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skipjack_2020_901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.8 KB ID:	141847 Mostly finished with exterior. Decals added and Matte coat finished.
                          It took a little very fine sanding to remove some minor issues.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Skipjack_2020_903.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	141848Click image for larger version  Name:	Skipjack_2020_904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	141849Click image for larger version  Name:	Skipjack_2020_906.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	141850Click image for larger version  Name:	Skipjack_2020_902.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.2 KB ID:	141851Click image for larger version  Name:	Skipjack_2020_905.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	141852

Name:	Skipjack_2020_914.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	141853
                          To finish, I need to work on wiring the lights and then I can move onto the next sub.
                          Peace,
                          Tom
                          Last edited by trout; 07-19-2020, 02:48 AM.

Comment

• coryhenry
                            Lieutenant Commander
                            • Jul 2020

I like the paint job, I cant tell if there is weathering or not due to the glare?

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

David, how long did the Skipjack subs have the at launch paint scheme?

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by coryhenry
                                I like the paint job, I cant tell if there is weathering or not due to the glare?
                                Yeah, my photography skills lack. There is light weathering, but as David pointed out “weather that thing” may need a heavier hand. LOL

Comment

Working...