X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
    Nice, Im glad to see that there are two O-rings on the endcap. Thatll help keep leaks down.
    Mark had this double o-ring in three SDs so far.

Pluses - perhaps its does contribute to leak minimisation - i wouldn't know as all my SDs thus far don't leak. (That's a big reason why I buy the SDs!)
    Minuses - find it harder to get the SD open.

J
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

John, all my SDs have a single fat oring. Have you tried using silicone grease? I wipe the whole oring seating surface of the endcap down with silicone grease and leaks have gone to zero and its easier to remove and install. You can also use Dielectric grease. Seams to be the same stuff.
      IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

John,
        Would you post a picture of your wtc showing how you run your pushrods? I am missing something and need a visual. Thanks!
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
          John,
          Would you post a picture of your wtc showing how you run your pushrods? I am missing something and need a visual. Thanks!
          Pleasure
          here below is going back a few years - note the brick sized ESC.
          This Subdriver went into HMAS Rankin - Collins class Sub.
          You can see the neat little bends in the push rods in this photo.

This Subdriver featured David's SD hardware and my own conduit through the ballast tank to the forward compartment, a feature that is now standard on all subdrivers that was not on the 3.5" at the time.

Also note the 2 cradles I use to support the motor tray in the foreground and the body of the Subdriver in the background. For assembly and maintenance and care of your Subdrivers - these little support stands make life easier.

J
          Last edited by Slats; 06-05-2013, 07:25 PM. Reason: shocking spelling
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
            Vice Admiral
            • Aug 2008

John, all my SDs have a single fat oring. Have you tried using silicone grease? I wipe the whole oring seating surface of the endcap down with silicone grease and leaks have gone to zero and its easier to remove and install. You can also use Dielectric grease. Seams to be the same stuff.
            yes I use Silicon Grease too Mark. Its still a tight fit.

J
            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• alad61
              Commander
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Slats
              yes I use Silicon Grease too Mark. Its still a tight fit.

J
              Ohh there are so many lines there... And I thought it was just me with one that had oversized orings or that they weren't seated far enough in the bulk head.
              Cheers,
              Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
              But to dream is a reality

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Slats
                Pleasure
                here below is going back a few years - note the brick sized ESC.
                This Subdriver went into HMAS Rankin - Collins class Sub.
                You can see the neat little bends in the push rods in this photo.

This Subdriver featured David's SD hardware and my own conduit through the ballast tank to the forward compartment, a feature that is now standard on all subdrivers that was not on the 3.5" at the time.

Also note the 2 cradles I use to support the motor tray in the foreground and the body of the Subdriver in the background. For assembly and maintenance and care of your Subdrivers - these little support stands make life easier.

J

J,
                That is beautiful! I see what you mean about the bend, you keep it as close to the arm on the servo (in this case a little further down because of the other servo). The cradle idea is fantastic, I am going to try build a couple.
                This is very helpful, thank you!
                T
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                  J,
                  That is beautiful! I see what you mean about the bend, you keep it as close to the arm on the servo (in this case a little further down because of the other servo). The cradle idea is fantastic, I am going to try build a couple.
                  This is very helpful, thank you!
                  T
                  My pleasure - gawd I love this website and the hobby!

always happy to help and share ideas.

Cheers

J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                    • Aug 2008

Good looking work, John. Nice, practical modifications on display there. You're a practical sort of guy. Love those small work stands. Something I should do.

M
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      Good looking work, John. Nice, practical modifications on display there. You're a practical sort of guy. Love those small work stands. Something I should do.

M
                      Thanks. The product sitting on those stands need good care - careful assembly, maintenance, and storage. Subdrivers are a tool and with good care and attention they will last

Folks when David finally gets to my e-mail he'll find an order sitting there for 2 more Subdrivers.
                      There are few short cuts in the hobby, but I buy Subdrivers for all my sub projects. Yep they do cost bucks - but dollar for dollar the prefabrication that goes in is CHEAP compared to other modules on the market. I initially hit upon buying from David's product as I wanted a product that simply worked as intended, didn't leak and lasted. The Subdrivers tick all three boxes. Cost Effective -no brainier.

Cheers

J
                      John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I just realized something. I dont want all those masts sticking up on my Scamp. All I want is the scope. I was hoping to see a sail top without all those depressions where the masts go. Ill need to fill them in with something. Maybe I can take the top to each mast and slice it 1/16' thick or so and then plug the hole with that. That way it will have a nice line around it and will actually look like there is a telescoping mast underneath. Any thoughts on that?Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 406.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	81455
                        Last edited by greenman407; 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Looks like some of the depressions have a door scribed in around them. Perhaps there is supposed to be a door around all of them.

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

I just realized something. I dont want all those masts sticking up on my Scamp. All I want is the scope. I was hoping to see a sail top without all those depressions where the masts go. Ill need to fill them in with something. Maybe I can take the top to each mast and slice it 1/16' thick or so and then plug the hole with that. That way it will have a nice line around it and will actually look like there is a telescoping mast underneath. Any thoughts on that?[ATTACH=CONFIG]20557[/ATTACH]
                            Perhaps the solution Mark is to decapitate the heads of the masts that you don't want sticking up and glue these in their respective slots -thus depicting these in the lowered position.

J
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              • Aug 2008

Behold!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3252.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	81456Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3257.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	81457Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3259.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	81458Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3262.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	81459Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3265.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	81460Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3266.jpg
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	81461Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3269.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	81462Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3271.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	81463Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3272.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	81464Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3276.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	81465Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3278.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	81466Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3280.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	81467
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Slats
                                Vice Admiral
                                • Aug 2008

David,
                                can you please tell us the brand of that Red putty is.

I take it is safe to use on both ABS plastics and GRP?

Thanks

John
                                John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

Working...