Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Additional research reveals that there is a Ren seamless modeling paste used to mix and pour Renshape like material. Probably $700 a quart
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• MFR1964
      Detail Nut of the First Order
      • Sep 2010

Dam mit, my archoid dubble puls inverter has broken down, again no carbonation today, have to call the supplier.

Mark, why don't you use simple styrene and filler?, or are the shapes such that you need other materials.

Manfred.
      I went underground

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Im sure I could, but whatever I use I would have to go and buy, cus I dont have anything. Just looking into possibilities.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Ok, after establishing a good radial line with our level, out comes the new razor saw. I took my time and I had no problems. Then it was on to assembling the forward hull reinforcement assembly. Just a word of note. Dave went to all the trouble to not only drill the holes to hold it together, He also tapped in the threads. What a trooper! He did the same thing for the velcro hold down bracket. Thanks for that. Good lookin out.
          You can put the reinforcement assm. in place easily but pay careful attention to get it lined up with the same amount of space on each side, measured down from the hull lip. Mark it and pull it out and apply thick CA and put it in place. Its a good idea to mark the contact points on the hull so you know where the CA is going to go so that you can sand those areas a little bit for good adhesion. Oh....and you might want to test fit the forward lower piece onto the forward upper with the reinforcement assm. in place and check the fit before you CA it.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 279.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	84052Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 283.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	84056Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 280.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	84053Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 281.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	84054Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 282.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	84055

Comment

• greenman407
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

Then it was on to the prop shaft foundation. If youll recall back eons ago, I cut off the nice little alignment pins in the bottom stern portion of the hull that Dave went to all the trouble to design the prop foundations to line up on. After numerous "Hail Marys" and other attempts at atonement it was mutually agreed to that I could continue living and breathing as long as I watch myself. So, with that in the past, I carefully lined up the lower half of the foundation in the bottom of the bottom hull section and CAed it in with thick Ca. Later I came back to the scene of the crime and wicked in thin CA under it. Of course this was done after putting in the prop shaft and upper foundation and upper tail section and checking the fit. At that point I had to "Dremel" down the inside of the upper tail cone section to get it to close up properly. Dont glue on the tail cone yet. There are other goodies to go in there first.

Name:	Transfer 285.jpg
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	84057Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 287.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	84058Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 288.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	84059Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 289.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	84060
            Last edited by greenman407; 10-28-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Heres one I missed. Looking from the inside.

Name:	Transfer 291.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	84064

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Looking good.
                I had to open the cast foundations a little because with the bushing installed it did not close completely.
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Peter W
                  Captain
                  • May 2011

Neat looking cut on the stern Mark, I have got that coming up on the Akula............nervous. Looking good though.

Peter

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Nothing to it if you have a good line and you go slow. Yours is GRP so it will take a little more time and effort. Your razor saw probably wont be any good after the two cuts.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Tom, I dont think that its necessary to get the foundations to jam up. Its just there to hold the prop shaft bushings. When I install the top half of the tail cone Ill put some thick CA on top of the upper foundation. It wont be going anywhere.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

Before I close up the sail I need to address the underneath of the sail top. Its a trap for air bubbles and needs to be smoothed out for good bubble flow. If I could do it over again I would grind the underside down smooth, but since I have already Caed in the masts and sanded and sealed it and rescribed it, I dont want to mess it up. So Ill just smooth out the edges. The top of the sail under the cap is another matter. The horizontal reinforcement serves no purpose after the cap is glued on so I will remove them.

Name:	Transfer 300.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	84109Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 302.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	84110

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Like this. Ill be drilling a hole in the very rear of the sail top to get the air out. However, do not install the cap to the sail until the SAS snorkel assm. is installed on the hull and checked for proper clearance inside the sail. Once everything is good, then you can take the sail back off and install the sail top to the sail.

Name:	Transfer 303.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	84111Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 305.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	84112
                          Last edited by greenman407; 11-01-2013, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Before we get too far , I wanted to go back and mention that another way to establish the outside radial lines is after you have used the compass as suggested to make your inside radial line, take a small drill bit, like 1/16" or smaller, carefully drill a small hole on the line,all the way thru about every 3/8". Then, on the outside, just connect the dots with a pencil and small straight edge.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

One question.I dont see in the instructions about placement location of the subdriver and the shock absorber pin. The hull is 41" long so I marked out center at 20.5". If I put the shock absorber pin to the rear of the front ballast drain hole, that works out to be where the center of the ballast tank will be 1" forward of the hull ctr. Thats a pretty good place to start from my past experience. Tom ,Alec, Dave, how far off am I? I kinda prefer a drilled hole sized better to the pin than that large drain hole, because it can allow the Subdriver to rotate, even with the velcro strap. Any Thoughts?Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 310.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	84136
                              Last edited by greenman407; 10-30-2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                                • Aug 2008

You want the after face of the motor bulkhead to butt up against the two large hull indexing pins of the lower hull. You gotta move that cylinder foward.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...