Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Well, I guess its time to pull this thing out of the closet and start swingin at it with Cold Chisel and 4 lb. Hammer. Oh........yeah, better read the destructions first.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Well we made a start on this thing by reviewing the instructions and CAing in the rudder and stand blanking pieces into the hull. The fittings kit really makes for quick building. That way more people will make the attempt. I will try to do a little something each day on her..............it accumulates , ya know.

Comment

• roedj
        Captain
        • Sep 2008

What ballast system do you plan on using?

Dan
        Born in Detroit - where the weak are killed and eaten.

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Dan, I plan on going with the Caswell SAS. Im intrigued by the design. I would, however, want the addition of an emergency blow system that Dave had mentioned was available for it. I dont mind the cost of the extra insurance. Ive sailed in many a pond with "Black" inky water. The piece of mind that the extra system buys is well worth it.

Comment

• roedj
            Captain
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
            Dan, I plan on going with the Caswell SAS. Im intrigued by the design. I would, however, want the addition of an emergency blow system that Dave had mentioned was available for it. I dont mind the cost of the extra insurance. Ive sailed in many a pond with "Black" inky water. The piece of mind that the extra system buys is well worth it.
            Sounds like a good idea but I would confirm with the Nameless One that when you do that there's still enough volume in the ballast tank to properly raise it to the correct surface level and still be able to sink it to the depth you desire.

Dan

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

The Nameless one? I thought it was the Blameless one. OOOOPPPPSSS!!!

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Hes going to chime in here any second...............you watch............................................. .........Dave?

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Dave?............................................. .BLUSHER
                  Last edited by greenman407; 05-23-2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Memorial day finds me in my work shop, onward ever onward.
                    I drilled my 1/8" holes as instructed 1/4" back from the center of the old rudder shafts. Test fitting the dive planes should be carefully done taking the time to blue loctite the set screws and carefully centering the control yoke and the planes so that there is no drag. Carefully carving out the rear of the hull with a dremel and endmill can be finished up with a worn down cutting wheel like so. Looking good Dave. I think.Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 391.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	81268Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 392.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	81269Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 393.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	81270Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 394.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	81271Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 396.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	81272

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                      • Aug 2008

You dope! you knocked out those transverse alignment pins back there didn't you?!!!!

The ass end of the propeller shaft, stern tube assembly extends back all the way to the end of the hull, you have to knock out the sternmost transverse piece on both hull halves. The after face of the after Oilite is the rearmost part of the hull and it's where the thrust washer sits between Oilite and forward face of the propeller hub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3330.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	81290Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3378.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	81291

You people!

MAN!!!!!

M
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

OH MY! Well , the instructions stating " after grinding away the radial and longitudinal raised braces", seemed to indicate those pins removal, since they are radial in shape. Oh well, I dont think we will throw it away, Im sure I can salvage it. Thanks for the heads up on the washer and the rear bulkhead.
                        Last edited by greenman407; 05-28-2013, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by greenman407
                          OH MY! Well , the instructions stating " after grinding away the radial and longitudinal raised braces", seemed to indicate those pins removal, since they are radial in shape. Oh well, I dont think we will throw it away, Im sure I can salvage it. Thanks for the heads up on the washer and the rear bulkhead.

All is lost ... you ruined it. Buy another kit and start over!

To atone, buy three SD's, four fittings kits, do 50 push-ups, and scream out 10 hail-Mary's. Get to it.

M
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• roedj
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2008

Dear Caswell Masters,

This is where I bravely (stupidly?) sail into dangerous waters.

Rant begin {

I would like to register a complaint about the instructions for the assembly of the Skipjack. It's not that they're not complete; they are. It's just that they're scattered all over the place. I, too, am probably about to start on the Moebius Skipjack so when I saw Greenman's problem I went and read the posted instructions which I downloaded from the Caswell site to see where he had made his error. Hindsight is always 20/20 and I see it now but I can also see where he was misled by them.

So, I went looking for other instructions and I found them. I found them inside the Sub Driver Gazette's and also on the RC Universe site where Herrmill has posted the initial Report to the Cabal (Is there a newer one?). Had Greenman looked at those two other sources and especially at the pictures, I doubt he would have made his mistake.

My suggestion: Consolidate all of these widely scattered instructions into one document. Not an easy task, I know, but one, I feel, that is sorely needed. When I start my own assembly I fully intend to print them all out, have all of them in front of me and try to follow a logical procedure.

End Rant }

I shall now go hide for at least a week.

Dan - Commander Cranky
                            Last edited by roedj; 05-28-2013, 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• roedj
                              Captain
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                              All is lost ... you ruined it. Buy another kit and start over!

To atone, buy three SD's, four fittings kits, do 50 push-ups, and scream out 10 hail-Mary's. Get to it.

M
                              You forgot the Stations of the Cross.

St. Dan

Comment

• Aug 2008

Dear Commander Cranky:

Hey, when you're right, your right. We do have those instructions all over the place. Yes, we gotta consolodate them. Mike will be doing that soon, I'm sure. Meanwhile, you trouble-makers keep hitting me with those problems that come up and I'll address them as best I can.

Good stuff.

M
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...