X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCnut
    Commander
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
    That's it! That's where they came from. What's that guy's name?

David
    That would be Bob Smith (the B in A+B Models) He got the original Stingray Model from Phil.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Oh, man! 'Research' gets no better than an actual miniature in your hot little hands!

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCnut
        Commander
        • Apr 2012

Damm straight!

Comment

• RCnut
          Commander
          • Apr 2012

Done a bit today, Added the tubes, they need tweaking a bit but overall im quite happy with the way there turning out, I also made the rear top Bubble which I will do using filler.
          Attached Files

Comment

• RCnut
            Commander
            • Apr 2012

Good Day, today I did a bit more, sorted the ratemaster bulb top and bottom and tweaked the missile tubes, they need a bit more I think and put the hulls together to make sure they will match out of the mould. need to tweak the upper bulge a bit as I was a bit heavy handed with the sanding on one side, lol.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

You're killing me!

OK, smart-guy: how you going to handle propulsion and control surfaces?

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCnut
                Commander
                • Apr 2012

Lol, same way I did with the smaller one I think, that one had a graupner mini jet with vectoring rudder and the side fins were on 2 mini servos and mixed thru my transmitter (Elevons). It worked really well, to the point that it flipped over in the water when I turned to fast. In this one I want to use the same jet as in the Skydiver ones, going right thru the ratemaster which I will attempt to make spin as well. I have an idea how to do that, perhaps a ring spur gear on a small pinion. but thats for later.
                BTW the small one now resides with my Brother as he pesuaded me to swop it for a 1/5 scale RC petrol (GAS) car. As I had another one in the works I agreed to it (thats the White shell you see in the early build pics)

Comment

• RCnut
                  Commander
                  • Apr 2012

Done the tweaking and happy, just a few blemishes to rub out and then the cabin.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Some people just have a Knack for it. Others, like me just...........watch.
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• RCnut
                      Commander
                      • Apr 2012

Made a start on the cabin and tail section yesterday and will finish them up this afternoon. Same method on the cabin as the main hull but I'm using plastic bumper (fender) filler on the tail. It retains a greater degree of flexibility when set.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Damn! ... this is good stuff!

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCnut
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2012

Thanks David. Done a bit more, Cabin Primered but still needs fine work done and tail mated to the back end.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Aug 2008

Your trick of establishing the inner and outer contour points on the stern is an example of simple, functional, lay-out work. You make use of rigid materials (the plastic card) for the basic structure, and leave it to the formable filler to fill in the blanks. The basic means of dictating final form of tapers and compound curves to a complicated sub-assembly. Even using the existing stern as a guide. No flubbing around; no mis-steps; and FAST.

You strike me as being both an intuitive throw-it-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks sort of guy; but also one well versed in the disciplines of pattern making (plan interpretation, lay-out, materials selection and use).

Who the hell are you, and where have you been hiding all these decades?!....

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCnut
                              Commander
                              • Apr 2012

Lol, again thanks David. I have been around for a few years but never really put myself in the forefront, Happy to keep a low profile lol. As for my method of building, My fave uncle (No longer with us) used to say. "You visualise something and then it springs from your hands". I guess thats got to be true. Oh plus the fact I'm not a patient guy so I try to work fast. I definitely like to throw it at the wall, lol.

Comment

• Aug 2008

No trade-school or such behind you? Self-taught. You had a good teacher!

David,
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...