Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Quick update. Made a mold for the periscope and on the first casting, the mold tore off at the periscope base (the area I hollowed out). So, I am going to build another mold to approach it differently.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Just turn the damned things from brass and be done with it!
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Soon sir, I will have a lathe in hand and running by the middle of December.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
          Soon sir, I will have a lathe in hand and running by the middle of December.
          Get the Taig! Best machine for the money. Till then, strap your drill-motor to the bench and have at.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
            Get the Taig! Best machine for the money. Till then, strap your drill-motor to the bench and have at.

David
            Assuming one has a similar lathe, how would you set it up to do something like a gun barrel in - say - brass? Speed, type of tool etc?

I am puzzled as to how to cut a taper on the barrel.
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Subculture
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

You can use high speed steel or tungsten carbide (overkill, but if you have use them) cutting tools for turning brass. No lubricant needed. A normal side and face cutter will suffice for external tapers, size of tool depends on size of lathe really. For small model work you don't need anything over 1/4" (6mm)

To cut a taper there are a couple of ways. First way is to set-up an angle on the compound slide. That's quick and simple, but it can be difficult if you have a really long shallow taper like a gun barrel, as the slide only has a limited range of travel. So that will sometmes mean turning the the taper in two or more stages.

The second method involves setting up the machine to run between centres. You offset the tailstock (assuming you have a machine that allows this) to the required angle (you need to use a bit of trigonometry for that), then you just turn your piece same as you would a parallel bar. Rememebr to zero the tailstock afterwards. I only do that if I need something accurate. Wouldn't bother for a 'cosmetic' taper.

Always worth purchasing a small book on basic lathe practice, preferably one aimed at the model engineer, as some of the practices are rather different to industrial methods.
              Last edited by Subculture; 11-27-2012, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

What books on using a lathe would you recommend - like for a Taig?

Comment

• Aug 2008

None. work out tool selection, set-up, RPM's, feed-rates, and material properties on your own. Use them safety glasses and inventory the digits at the end of the day. Get a micrometer and dial-indicator and Machinists surface-gauge. Is this guy with the Taig lathe kicking in a collet set?

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

I find a pair of digital vernier calipers more useful than a micrometer. Micrometers technically give a more accurate reading (less flex), but you won't need that level of precision in model work, unless you're working to tolerances of a thou or so. They available very cheaply these days, and are so much nicer to use than the old mechanical versions.

This book is pretty good- http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Lathe-Wor.../dp/1854862545

Practice is the main ingredient to good lathe work, but it pays to have a bit of background information in a booklet. A lathe is an excellent investment, even a small machine will allow to make your own endcaps and shaft seals, so it soon pays for itself.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Fair enough, Tom. We (Mike, Jim, and I) never presented a 'mission statement' as to the type postings we want to foster here. I thought it was self evident. R/c submarine stuff .... Duh!

But, you are right to seek better definition after Myron's blow-up. No one enjoyed that. And I wish he would have e-mailed you first before dropping his pants here. OK, mission statement, let's see ....

... keep talking like you're talking; mostly r/c submarine stuff, and when you stray a bit to make it personal, that's fine with me too. You are the most polite (another reason to hate you) person here, Tom. You don't go on and on about stupid ****. When you do stray from r/c submarines it is to encourage others or to point to other avenues of exploration to those who present an unresolved problem.

Short version: your posts, Tom, are a model of how I would like to see written intercourse practiced here. You (as you suggested) are one of the few who actually shows his work and covers what whent right as well as what went wrong -- powerful tools of teaching. Good, solid stuff. And, you're an accomplished model-builder, not some kit-assembling hack. Keep doing what you're doing, ALUMINUAUT-boy.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Find some fluffy art-supply house and purchase a color-wheel...

... and GET TO IT!

David

Available at CASWELL Inc
                        And there's NOTHING fluffy about us ! DAMNED CHEEK!
                        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Ooop's. Sorry, Boss (running for cover)
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

I played with a photo to see if I could give the illusion of my sub under the sea. Here is what I came up with.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Revell_Gato_Photoshop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	75964
                            Before you beat me up and point out the dive planes are not down, I know. This was just playing around.
                            Here is what it came from
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5572.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	75965

Comment

• Aug 2008

Stop dicking around with the magic thinking machine and get back on the models, huh!?
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Yes sir! I am on it.

Comment

Working...