Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

@David - I never get tired of those kick in the pants... Almost three years ago, I got my first kick while building this sub.
    @Mark - yep, hopefully I will be able to purchase the kit next Friday. There are only a few left on the sub-driver site.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Subculture
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Build yourself a pinger, then it's very unlikely you'll lose another boat this way.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

It is time to make some updates to this sub. There are three things I want to add. They are 1. electronic switch - I want to turn lights on/off through the transmitter. 2. Magnetic master on/off switch 3. McLeod's front plane controller to slow down the snap of the front planes.
        I am nervous about doing this because she runs well and I will be messing with trim and setup. Also while in drydock there are areas that need fixing because of me snapping parts off or corroding like the pegs for the lights. I may redo lights because I ran them from a 9v battery, running them from the LiPo makes sense too. If I keep the 9v, I may reduce the voltage going out to possibly reduce the corrosive effects on the terminal ends.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Von Hilde
          Rear Admiral
          • Oct 2011

Very interesting, I will be starting one soon, I think. Still have 2 kits, If I get rid of one I can afford a fittings kit for the other. But the I 53 is lurking and that's a big kit as well. Too many boats and not enough time. Or money. Money might not buy happiness, but it can buy a ton of subdrivers and sneak right up on it.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Von Hilde, to date this is my favorite sub. I do not think you would be disappointed in building it. Plus there are a lot of after-market stuff to make it very customizable. The I-53 is a great subject too. I wish there were more accurate WWII 1/72 Japanese submarine kits.

Comment

• Von Hilde
              Rear Admiral
              • Oct 2011

I have been looking at the various PE sets and resin towers for building other boats, than the Gato. I wish Nautilus models had a wood deck for it. I will be converting one of mine to the USS Sea Dragon, with the mods after the 1944 Mare Island refit. In my Fleet Boats thread that I have started, I will be covering the different variants of the classes, and developmental changes. A 1/72 I-400 would be nice to add to the collection, but I would have to build an addition on the house.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

I heard rumors of Revell releasing another Gato sub, although I had hoped they were going to do a Balao class. Apparently it is true as Free Time Hobbies is taking pre-orders!

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

Tom, unfortunately that link is dead. I went there and typed in Gato and the only thing that came up was a new type 9 for pre-order:http://www.hobbypreorders.com/1-72-r...-type-ix-c-40/ The math works out to just shy of 42" long
                  Last edited by greenman407; 11-18-2015, 06:36 PM.
                  IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

Sure enough...the plug was pulled. So, now I am back to no proof. No hope for more Gato submarines being built. Just dreams..........sigh

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Please someone tell me you see it too!

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Still more evidence.........

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Tom, just been perusing through your Gato build. Congratulations on your success. I just watched your Youtube video of her out in open water. Looks Great! Im just starting mine and Im sure Ill be stealing a look now and then at your thread. Have you driven it lately? I recall you bought a Seaview from Kazzer not too long ago. Im sure you are busy.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Mark, I am glad you read through. My build is definitely the linear build with many changes as some ideas did not work. I am jazzed you started the build, it is a GREAT sub. I have not run the sub in a year, recovering of cancer took out most of last year and a new hip took out the beginning of this year. All that whining to say, the itch is strong. So hopefully soon.
                            Yes, I am working on the Seaview, but also on a Type IX (Revell 1/72) so my time, what little I have, is split between the two.
                            The Gat is scheduled to get some updates, like magnetic switch. Just have not had the courage to change anything since she runs well.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

Sorry to hear about the cancer. I guess we all got something bad to contend with. Keep a steady bubble.

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

Mark, Thank you, it was surgically removed (along with the lower portion of my spine - Chordoma Cancer). My faith is strong and it really has been a blessing. Sounds strange, but it opened doors to share the hope I have. Anyway, still cancer free and I go next month for another test. Every 3 or 4 months I get scans done. It was the hip replacement that found it. So that became the primary focus and this December, the hip issue was revisited and was replaced.
                                Enough Chit-Chat, go and build!

Comment

Working...