Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ffr2608
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2009

Some final work on the linkages. I am trying an elevon system on the bow planes first. If you look at the output shafts, they are extra long to link to the stern planes. Lots of possibilities and room for a third output. The box is all mounted up and ready for electronics install. I am also experimenting with some smaller props and they fit great inside the nozzles. Good to have options and will see the results in the tub first.

Comment

• tifosi12
      Commander
      • Jul 2020

Originally posted by ffr2608
      Some final work on the linkages. I am trying an elevon system on the bow planes first. If you look at the output shafts, they are extra long to link to the stern planes. Lots of possibilities and room for a third output. The box is all mounted up and ready for electronics install. I am also experimenting with some smaller props and they fit great inside the nozzles. Good to have options and will see the results in the tub first.
      Interesting. I would have used wet servos and put them outside the box to eliminate the need to seal those servo linkages.

Comment

• ffr2608
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Oct 2009

Servo mounts in and all supports have been bonded to the hull. I will be working on the motor pass-through connections next. The outrunners will be easily removable for post-run maintenance.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

OK. Collective and differential on the two bow planes -- roll and depth control, I get that. What about the stern planes -- they get a free ride with no work to be done? I assume the motors will be used for yaw control?

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Oct 2009

That is where I am starting. I could swap or couple the planes on-site during testing. Might need to grab an angle keeper for the stern but will decide a bit later.

DH

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

That is where I am starting. I could swap or couple the planes on-site during testing. Might need to grab an angle keeper for the stern but will decide a bit later.

DH
              Good conservative plan. I like it. Looking forward to your findings, sir.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• tifosi12
                Commander
                • Jul 2020

Originally posted by tifosi12

Interesting. I would have used wet servos and put them outside the box to eliminate the need to seal those servo linkages.
                Alright, I got an anonymous dislike. Fine. Care to elaborate?

My motto is to keep it as simple as possible and sealing the feed lines for the servos through the box is a lot easier than dealing with mechanical seals for the linkages.

Comment

• ffr2608
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Oct 2009

That was my dislike.
                  Wet servos have more than 1 water entry point. Silicone can break down around the wires and ruin the seal.
                  The vintage SBS seal I use have been 100% reliable for over 25 years. They are turned brass with the cup seal inside.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by ffr2608; 05-01-2024, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• tifosi12
                    Commander
                    • Jul 2020

That was my dislike.
                    Wet servos have more than 1 water entry point. Silicone can break down around the wires and ruin the seal.
                    The vintage SBS seal I use have been 100% reliable for over 25 years. They are turned brass with the cup seal inside.
                    Good for you.

Pretty much all the seals I ever bought from anybody have proven to be leaking within a couple of years. I avoid them like the plague. And don't get me started on sub drivers and their o-rings. Their record is even worse. Everything leaks all the time.

I don't use silicone to seal the wires. I use epoxy, that's the one thing that actually seals for good, for years.
                    Last edited by tifosi12; 05-01-2024, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• ffr2608
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by tifosi12

Good for you.

Pretty much all the seals I ever bought from anybody have proven to be leaking within a couple of years. I avoid them like the plague. And don't get me started on sub drivers and their o-rings. Their record is even worse. Everything leaks all the time.

I don't use silicone to seal the wires. I use epoxy, that's the one thing that actually seals for good, for years.

Tifosi12,
                      Thanks for the amazing, constructive comments...

Edited for politeness
                      Last edited by ffr2608; 05-01-2024, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• billyd
                        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                        • Feb 2024

Me not posting doesn’t mean I’m not building.
                        Yeah geez it was only a few weeks. Most of us from what I've seen are not kids to put it mildly. Life can get in the way, or worse yet the opposite. At any rate I was out for about the same period of time on my build thread (had a minor illness) but no one cared I wasn't posting lol. So at least you have that going for you!

Comment

Working...