James bond lotus submarine

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Almost there. Casting was completed tonight. Tomorrow, I shape the dunce-caps, install the setscrews, box 'em up and mail them to you.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Underway on nuclear power.

David

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5665.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	180497
      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 06-01-2024, 07:45 PM.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• ffr2608
        Commander
        • Oct 2009

More work on the limber and vent holes. I didn’t want to put too many on the bottom to screw up the visuals. Hull mating pins were a piece cake.
        I also built the taillights out of colored acrylic and painted a black perimeter.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ffr2608; 06-02-2024, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          Underway on nuclear power.

David

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5665.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.5 KB ID:	180497
          3/32" shaft right?
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219

3/32" shaft right?
            Yup............................
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albacore 569
              Commander
              • Sep 2020

Click image for larger version  Name:	hX15juZ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.8 KB ID:	180545

That was one of the better Roger Moore ones. Moore was supposedly good to work with on set. worked hard, reported on time, and a healthy sense of humility with fun humor so I have read. The director, producers present & actors once in a while would serve chow to the on-location crew filming.

To me the remarkable thing wasn't just the car of course, we get to hear Q's real fictional name mentioned the first time (at least I think so..lol) by KGB agent Barbara Bach. Major Boothroyd. Hè is mentioned very early in the novels by Fleming and later by Garner

Click image for larger version  Name:	1dK9ZeS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.6 KB ID:	180546

Roger Moore and Cubby Broccoli Producer serving pasta to crew of 'Spy who Loved Me'. fun stuff
              Last edited by Albacore 569; 06-03-2024, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• ffr2608
                Commander
                • Oct 2009

Linkages are complete! I also built the hatch hold down mechanics using some brass threaded inserts front and rear with 4/40 hardware. The last task is to test propellers and set up the transmitter. I did get the X18 channels all mixed but need some help on limiting the throttle travel when turning. If anyone has experience, please PM me.
                Someone on RCGroups (named Submodeller) with a Proteus gave me advice and I’m wondering if he’s on this forum..
                Attached Files

Comment

• Subculture
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

That's Tim Senecal.

Comment

• Schmitty1944
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Mar 2021

This is an absolutely fantastic project. I am very impressed with your progress so far. The real "wet Nellie" reportedly had a tendency to dive all the time due to the fact that a car (especially a high performance car like the Esprit) is designed for down force. This is very evident in the movie. At the end of every shot it is heading for the bottom and planes are usually deflected to full rise. Even the picture shown in the first post of this thread shows this. This is often a problem when real world physics meet fiction (like the Seaview). But this is part of the challenge that can be overcome.

I absolutely love the 3-D model that was created but I must point out a few flaws. Although the Esprit has an overall very angular appearance there isn't actually a straight line on it. In particular the windscreen (A pillar) is not flat but is curved and especially the rear window (C pillar) is very curved. The centre of the bonnet/hood on the model is raised where on the real car this part is indented up to the six hvac vents where it then rises above the bonnet line.

I really like the idea of having pitch and roll control through the use of radio mixing and separate control of dive planes port and starboard. You mentioned using "open tx" can that be used with a 900mhz radio? I think it is mostly associated with 2.4ghz which will absolutely not work for this model. You want either a modern 900mhz radio or a 72/75mhz (if you're in the USA) preferably a later model with mixing etc. PCM's are my favorite.

Keep up the good work.

Jason

Click image for larger version

Name:	carssmall.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	180676

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

OpenTX can be used with any frequency, it’s just an operating system. Most sets that use opentx have a module bay so you can incorporate low to high frequency systems, although most internal tuners will be 2.4ghz.

Comment

• Schmitty1944
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • Mar 2021

Originally posted by Subculture

OpenTX can be used with any frequency, it’s just an operating system. Most sets that use opentx have a module bay so you can incorporate low to high frequency systems, although most internal tuners will be 2.4ghz.
                        Ah, yes. Very good point. Are low frequency modules very available that will fit multi-protocol modern radios?

Jason

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Sadly no you have to look secondhand, but I think that discussion should be on a separate thread.

Comment

• ffr2608
                            Commander
                            • Oct 2009

Schmitty, Thanks for the kind words and constructive criticism. As a 15 year CAD surfacer for a big car manufacturer, I can appreciate your eye seeing the differences between the road car and submarine model. I modeled the movie prop which has a TON of low spots, straight / negative lines and poor bodywork. It was a challenge to go against my training to build a body with correct curvatures and styling. That being said, I am aware of some compromises I made in the interest of time or oversight. Some will be rectified in primer.
                            Even the actual car is quite rough compared to its competition of the day. Look at how flat the glass and pillar surfaces read in these images. To be fair to Lotus, it was fiberglass so things have settled over the years.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ffr2608; 06-15-2024, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• ffr2608
                              Commander
                              • Oct 2009

Not using open tx on this boat. Going with Ethos 900mhz Frsky on this one. (X18)
                              BTW Schmitty, is that your car collection? Quite impressive and unique for your location. I am currently restoring and driving “green” vehicles…
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ffr2608; 06-15-2024, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• Schmitty1944
                                Lieutenant Commander
                                • Mar 2021

" I can appreciate your eye seeing the differences between the road car and submarine model. I modeled the movie prop which has a TON of low spots, "

I completely understand. I am very interested in this subject and in no way am I meaning to be critical, just very curious. When you mention your model is based on the movie prop, Do you mean the full size "wet nellie" submarine version or an effects miniature? Where did you get the dimensions etc from exactly?

Is that photo your actual WWII Jeep? it looks super nice. Is that photo from a movie set?

The photo I posted is some of my car collection and my cat Marmite. Classic/collector cars is what I do for a living and a hobby. I also have a couple WWII Vehicles a 1942 Willy's Jeep and a 1944 VW "Kubelwagen". I have loved Lotus cars my whole life and have had many Esprits. I currently have the red 1977 series 1 you see in the photo. My love for them definitely is due to "The spy who loved me" which I saw for the first time at 6 years old.

BTW: I recently noticed the yellow wet submarine that chases the Esprit in TSWLM, The one that Bob and gang saw in person a while ago and then the owner asked Bob to remove all footage from existence, It's called the Shark Hunter II. It is in the background of a warehouse in another James Bond move. Timothy Dalton's 2nd bond film "License to Kill". I was surprised to see it.

Jason

Comment

Working...