X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billyd
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Feb 2024

USS Nautilus SSN-571 - 3D printed build

Started 3D printing the hull first. All ABS so far. I used loctite 406 for assembling the pieces. Pretty pleased with the trueness of the glued together parts which was a big concern of mine going in. It's probably a dumb idea but I am using whenever possible the actual colors I plan to paint the sub with. I went back and forth on this, it's probably smarter to use beige or something like that. But I couldn't resist. The bow piece was extremely difficult to print, had to try seven different times before I got a good result. At one point I tried it in resin, but that was really difficult too, and not as strong. The stand was printed in one piece, although the files also supply it broken up, but I was able to pull it off in one piece and it came out well. The computer model is great, but many of the stl's had mesh problems that I was able to easily fix in prusaslicer which has an online automatic repair function.
    Last edited by billyd; 03-03-2024, 10:03 PM.
  • billyd
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Feb 2024

btw My goal for this project is to make an rc sub that works well, is an eye pleaser (to me), and have fun in the process. I am not attempting to recreate the real sub or it's paint scheme.

Comment

• Scott T
      Commander
      • May 2009

Parts looking really good. I like the parts printed in the colors chosen.

Comment

• billyd
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • Feb 2024

I want to purchase the propellers for this in brass. The model as drawn in CAD shows (at 1/72 scale) the props to be 5 blades with a 4mm bore. The diameter in the model is about 1-11/16 but I've only found 1-3/4 or 1-9/16. I feel like 1-3/4 is way too big and figure the 1-9/16 is about right. Is that right? Should I go with 5 bladed props? Should I use counter rotating props or should they both be the same direction? Thanks for any help folks.

Comment

• rwtdiver
          Vice Admiral
          • Feb 2019

billyd,

Your Nautilus looks great! Color scheme looks good. I like you do not go in for the weathered look. Fresh out of the factory!

Rob
          "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• wlambing
            Commander
            • Nov 2020

All USN twin-screw ships rotate counter to each other. Stbd screw goes clockwise when viewed from astern. Port screw goes counter-cw from the same aspect. So, you want a Right-hand screw for stbd, Left-hand for port. 5-blades would be correct.

Comment

• billyd
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Feb 2024

Thanks everyone for the comments. I had a little scare today when I was installing the folding dive plane supports. I couldn't get them in! I was thinking oh gosh I shouldn't have glued the hull together. But as it turns out there were a couple of 3d printed supports (very hard to see inside the hull) I failed to remove from that hull section and they were blocking the parts. I was able to place them easily once the supports were out. The rest of the deck structural supports should go in easily. So far this model is extremely precise in terms of the part fit. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Ps I am using the v4 hull model, which requires all structural supports and deck components to be printed separately. While a more difficult assembly, the printing quality is improved because the individual parts better lend themselves to 3d printing vs when combined as an assembly and printed.
              Last edited by billyd; 03-05-2024, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• billyd
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Feb 2024

Speaking of the bow planes I have figured out a way to make them functional. But I've read they aren't much use on scale models. On the other hand the mechanical engineer in me demands that if they are on the model they must work lol. Given all that, I am unsure of how much movement bow planes have in terms of rotation about the transverse, as well as rotation from stowed to deployed. It's hard to find pictures of the 571 with a clear shot of the planes deployed. And I also have no idea how much they rotate for diving, or how much they do for surfacing. I was going to throw some wild guesses at it, but thought if anyone has real data that would be great. I couldn't find any after a couple hours of searching.

Comment

• wlambing
                  Commander
                  • Nov 2020

billyd,

Somewhere in these forums, or even in the SubCommittee forums, there is a lengthy thread on how Nautilus bow planes were 'sposed to work. The conclusion is that there are 2 camps and nobody really knows anymore! Some think they work at an angle to horizontal, while others go with the conventional horizontal plane that other class ships use. Much debate, with no cold, hard facts to back either method up. There are no pictures found that show any deployment to full horizontal, but the pictures that show angle deployment also all show the maintenance bracing installed ("lock stays" as it were) that allow for safe work on the gear trains and retract mechanism while in port or drydock. Not good to crush your worker-bees with large, swinging metal chunks! Unless some one can find definitive drawings, ship manuals, etc., we're just gonna have to wing it. Her bow planes haven't moved since her decommissioning back in the mid-80s, nor would there be any need to move them from the stowed position in the future, unless it was done as interference removal to replace hull plating in those areas. That won't happen until we're all gone!!!

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                    Captain
                    • Apr 2014

It's definitely an angle....I asked a Nautilus veteran

Last edited by DrSchmidt; 03-07-2024, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• billyd
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Feb 2024

fwiw the model I purchased from Bob has them such that they can't go horizontal when deployed. Did the planes even rotate about the transverse? Or did they just fold out and help the nose down due to the oblique angle? The model as drawn would not provide any rotational ability about the transverse axis, but that could just be a shortcut the modeler took.

Comment

• DrSchmidt
                        Captain
                        • Apr 2014

The original bow planes used to extend horizontally. In the test runs, the boat showed destructive vibbrations that actually led to repairs due to crakc in the bow ballast tank. These vibrations were eliminated by nt fully extending the bow planes.

Comment

• CC Clarke
                          Lieutenant Commander
                          • Aug 2020

This model only allows the bow planes to extend and stow. In real life, they move in theta X as well but in the angled position as shown in the photo above.

Comment

• wlambing
                            Commander
                            • Nov 2020

The "chin" section of the lower bow was also redesigned and replated to help with the aforementioned vibration problem.

Comment

• billyd
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Feb 2024

I've made really good progress on developing a dive plane retract and rotate mechanism. I have a few details to clean up but when I get them done I will post the design here for comment. Does anyone know how much down and up angle I should allow for the dive planes?

Comment

Working...