Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

In the bottom picture you can make out the anchor door as well as various bumps and bruises.
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Work continues on the sail and its rudder. At the same time I elected to get some paint on the props. As you recall, I Nickel plated the props for the purpose of adding strength. My next step was to sand them down with 400 paper and shoot them with automotive grey primer and then a Bronze color. Its drying as we speak. To top it off Im coating it after that with a epoxy clear flat. Ill post pictures when the paint has dried.

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

Heres some " under construction" shots, just to let you guys know that Im not sloughing off. Next, the periscope and masts and bridge doors.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 422.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	66379Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 423.jpg
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	66380Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer 424.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	66381

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Nice work, Mark. Keep plugging away, pal.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Mark,
            I think those props came out real nice! They have a solid look to them and i like your technique to get them to that point.
            Peace,
            Tom
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Just recieved this from John Maier at Albacore park. It helps a little bit with the Mast problem. Ill keep at him for more.

Name:	masts.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	66388
              Last edited by greenman407; 02-06-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Also, the props are going to be sprayed with this. Its a Epoxy flat clear thats waterproff and fuel proff. Hopefully it will seal and encapsulate and make the props durable without any paint chipping over time.

Name:	Transfer.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	66389

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

The sail rudder also has to be finished and mounted to the sail. Then comes the "Bump". The bump on top of the sail will be the next big item.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

There are two ways to near enough eliminate chipping on painted metal surfaces.

1. Prime the bare metal primers with an etch primer. You can get this in an aerosol if you don't have a spray gun or air brush, and in single or twin pack formulations. Once you apply this, the only way it comes off is if you sand it off. Do use it in a well ventilated space- the stuff is acidic and not at all good for you,

2. Use the ferric chloride pickling trick that Dave uses for white metal and brass parts.

Either method works well, the primer method is easier for larger areas e.g. a brass etched deck.

Comment

• greenman407
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Ive never heard of an etch primer before. Maybe they dont call it that over here.

Comment

• greenman407
                        Admiral
                        • Feb 2009

I borrowed this Idea from "He who can not be blamed".............I mean named. To help form the bump and locate it I cut from thin sheet plastic this 1/4" by 1&1/4" piece and CAed it to the proper location. Then using filler Ill contour and smooth and shape. First Ill shape the plastic, then Ill put the Goop on.

Name:	Transfer 425.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	66398

Comment

• Subculture
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by greenman407
                          Ive never heard of an etch primer before. Maybe they dont call it that over here.
                          Well to give it the full name, self-etching primer. Looks like it gets the same name to me, although the brands are different, I use Upol brand, which I don't think you can get over there. They're all much of a muchness though.

Get the best deals for Etching Primer at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Excellent. Good for next time.

Comment

• greenman407
                              Admiral
                              • Feb 2009

I am bitterly disapointed. After spraying the props with the clear flat, now they look milky white. Apparently, too much flat pigment was put in the can. I wouldnt recommend that stuff to anybody. However I cant see myself spending hours trying to sand down these things. Perhaps paint stripper.............We will see.

Comment

• greenman407
                                Admiral
                                • Feb 2009

Jim Wakefield, who is in charge of maintaining the Albacore emailed me that the Phase 4 configuration only has two masts. The periscope and a radar mast. He also said that the messenger buoys on phase 4 are painted black to match the hull. Good info.

Comment

Working...