3D printed 1/48 Thresher

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Now mist on some black and you're there. Why didn't you hit the anti-foul red?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
      Now mist on some black and you're there. Why didn't you hit the anti-foul red?

David
      Assuming the anti-foul red is there to retard the marine growth I am less clear on how long it might take to foul. My guess is that it would not be nearly as bad as the upper part of the hull?

Comment

• CC Clarke
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Aug 2020

It's all about location, location, location. --And available diving services. In Guam, our boat sat in nasty, warm water but the marine growth was manageable. In Pearl, it only took a couple of months and these foot-long, green, hairy-looking things would start growing at the waterline, followed by all kinds of green and gray marine growth below that. Periodically, civilian divers with large, rotating brushes would clean the hull over a several day period. The clean-up was good for about three or four knots.

In Mare Island, tied up in the muddy, brackish Napa river, we had minimal marine growth and the hull was cleaned in drydock at longer intervals - usually before a mission. Visibility for divers in the Napa river was by braille only.

At Bangor, WA. where the water is very cold, clean, and clear, the marine growth build-up wasn't too bad. Every Trident had its hull hydro-blasted, followed by media-blasting and painting during a scheduled refit drydocking every eighteen months. Organotin was a highly toxic paint used for hydrophone fairings to minimize critter build-up. The traditional red lead lower hull paint was done away with in the late-eighties, when an all-black paint scheme was employed to meet a federal compliance act. Trident hulls below the waterline in drydock were usually a light greenish-white color when dry, and a dark grey in the water.

Here's the text of the law that began the Fed's big push back against organotin: Digest of Federal Resource Laws of Interest to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Organotin Antifouling Paint Control

This Act, Organotin Antifouling Paint Control (33 U.S.C. 2401), as amended -- Public Law 100-333, approved June 16, 1988 (102 Stat. 605) prohibits the use of antifouling paints containing organotin (TBT) on vessels that are 25 meters or less in length, unless the vessel hull is aluminum.

The Environmental Protection Agency is required to certify that each antifouling paint containing organotin does not release more than 4.0 micrograms per square centimeter per day. Additionally, EPA was to issue final water quality criteria for organotin compounds by September 1, 1988.

Five years after enactment of this law, the agency is to report to Congress concerning the effectiveness of this law, compliance with water quality criteria, and recommendations for additional protective measures.

Over a 10-year period and in cooperation with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, EPA is to monitor organotin concentrations in aquatic organisms and water column sediments of representative U.S. estuaries.

The Navy is required to periodically test waters serving as the home port for any Navy vessel(s) to determine the level of organotin contamination.

The Navy and EPA are directed to cooperatively conduct research on chemical and non-chemical alternatives to organotin antifouling paints, and to provide their findings to Congress 4 years after enactment of this law.

The Act allowed the sale of existing stocks of organotin paint up to 6 months after enactment, and the use of existing stocks for up to 1 year. The Act also establishes civil penalties for violation of this law.

Public Law 104-106, approved February 10, 1996, (110 Stat. 445) provides that the Secretary of the Navy, in consultation with the Administrator of the EPA, develop and implement a program to monitor the concentrations of organotin in the water column, sediments, and aquatic organisms of representative estuaries and near-coastal waters in the United States.
        Last edited by CC Clarke; 11-25-2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

I just took off the masking and I think it has turned out pretty darn good...I am planning to paint some more of the tan onto the red and I have some touching up to do as well as adding the white edge to the waterline but I am liking it so far. I did mist on some black to subdue it and then hit it with a very light dusting of the light tan which made a huge difference. This is the appearance that I wanted to try to achieve in my head.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211029_202855.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	155165
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20211029_202908.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.3 KB ID:	155166
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20211029_202918.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	155167
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20211029_202931.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	155168
          Last edited by SubDude; 10-30-2021, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017

A very impressive model! Well done!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude

Assuming the anti-foul red is there to retard the marine growth I am less clear on how long it might take to foul. My guess is that it would not be nearly as bad as the upper part of the hull?
              Yes, not to the degree of the unprotected paint, but some. Don't leave the red pristine.

Excellent job so far. See. Not as hard a technique to get your teeth into as you imagined. Right?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

Thanks! I do plan to give the lower portion of the hull a light treatment. It is not a difficult process but it does require some practice and experimentation to determine what looks right.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude
                  Thanks! I do plan to give the lower portion of the hull a light treatment. It is not a difficult process but it does require some practice and experimentation to determine what looks right.
                  And that's the fun of trying new stuff. Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised and amazed of what can be achieved. It's what keeps my blood flowing.

David
                  Skilled at many things, Master of none
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Dec 2019

Steve, nicely done. You can’t completely please the Sub God. Sacrificing a virgin might help.
                    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Aug 2008

It might... if you can find one!
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

Some more weathering...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_003431.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	155249
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_003401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	155250
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_003449.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.9 KB ID:	155251
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_49386.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	155252

Comment

• Das Boot
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Dec 2019

Steve, can I make one suggestion?
                          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
                            Captain
                            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
                            Steve, can I make one suggestion?
                            Of course...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Nice!

Tone down some of that streaking on the sail. Now to make everything 'pop'.

A little 'silver' Rub-and-Buff on those zincs would help define them a bit. Just a hint of silver. Actually, 'white' would be more accurate.

Name:	DSCN0006 (3).JPG
Views:	156
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	155269

And dry brush all edges and high-points. This example, overstates the results, but makes the point:

Name:	IMG_0087.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	155268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	155267
                              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2019

Dang David! I hadn't even gotten to those things yet but you picked right up on them.

Zincs...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_113436.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	155274
                                Subdued sail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_113447.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.3 KB ID:	155275
                                I ordered some Rub n Buff. I still have to dry brush the edges and high points as well as paint the pendant number on the sail and add the hold downs and cables around the hatches. I have all the dry transfers I need to add the name an draft numbers.
                                Last edited by SubDude; 11-01-2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...