Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude
    Dang David! I hadn't even gotten to those things yet but you picked right up on them.

Zincs...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211101_113436.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	155274
    Subdued sail.

Name:	20211101_113447.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	155275
    I ordered some Rub n Buff. I still have to dry brush the edges and high points.
    OK... stop! You're making me look bad! Wow! This beast is shaping up, Steve. What a beaut! And when you're done give this thing a very, very flat clear-coat to protect all your excellent work.

Well done, sir!

David
    I hate you!
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

Too funny! You do realize that I can't even compare to you and if not for your pert comments I wouldn't even be at this place in this build. I am just trying to apply some of the techniques you describe in your weathering and markings part 2 thread. By the way, where is part 1?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Too funny! You do realize that I can't even compare to you and if not for your pert comments I wouldn't even be at this place in this build. I am just trying to apply some of the techniques you describe in your weathering and markings part 2 thread. By the way, where is part 1?
        Hell... I don't know. I only write this ****, I don't archive it!
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

Of course...
          If there is that much of a scum line and marine growth on the hull, then the boat is in regular service and the orange rescue buoys have long been painted over from orange to black. That’s just something I always notice, but I’m anal. ;)
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Watch it, Sub God. Don’t get cute or you might get whacked.
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot

If there is that much of a scum line and marine growth on the hull, then the boat is in regular service and the orange rescue buoys have long been painted over from orange to black. That’s just something I always notice, but I’m anal. ;)
              I am certainly not in a position to know but David mentioned that having them be orange helps with underwater tracking so I made them orange. Also, since it had not yet completed deep submergence trials would that have mattered at all? I know that the pennant numbers on the sail are often removed but THRESHER still had them when it went down. I am not set on them being orange or black, I just want to know what they likely would have been at time of loss. If the concensus is black it is easily corrected.

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

Looks like part 1 may be embeded in part 2, or at least a portion of it.

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Bits and bobbles...

Name:	20211101_185437.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	155293

Name:	20211101_185455.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	155294

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Pennant number. Turned out well. David was right about using freshly cut edges of masking tape to prevent bleeding. Next up will be the dry transfers. I have never aligned individual numbers or letters before so it will be a new experience.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211102_104504.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.0 KB ID:	155315
                    Last edited by SubDude; 11-02-2021, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

Looking closer I believe I set the waterline too high...now I am faced with a what to do question. Leave it or change it?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Enough of the huble-pie stuff. You gotta admit: weathering is not as hard as you thought it would be. Right?

As to the waterline: Leave it! I didn't even notice it (let me guess, you found out when you started to plot location of draft numbers, right?)

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Enough of the huble-pie stuff. You gotta admit: weathering is not as hard as you thought it would be. Right?

As to the waterline: Leave it! I didn't even notice it (let me guess, you found out when you started to plot location of draft numbers, right?)

David
                          Weathering is not that bad and it really makes a huge difference in the presentation of a boat. Yup. The draft number locations got me. I should've paid closer attention to the drawing I was working off of when I set the waterline. Live and learn. I won't be able to sleep tonight if I don't fix it though. Shouldn't be hard to do.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Weathering is not that bad and it really makes a huge difference in the presentation of a boat. Yup. The draft number locations got me. I should've paid closer attention to the drawing I was working off of when I set the waterline. Live and learn. I won't be able to sleep tonight if I don't fix it though. Shouldn't be hard to do.
                            LOL. OK. I'm the last guy who should shout at someone for being anal when it comes to their work. Go get 'em, Steve! That boat is going to cut one nasting looking wake when you get it into the water!

And tone down the 'white' at the waterline. As you've laid it on now it looks like a slopy job of boot-toping. Just dabs of it, rubbed and blotched with a tight cotton ball or Artist texture stick. Best medium there is pastel crayon, almost lipstick in consistancy. I too have done the occasional awful job of it -- my 1/96 Type-212 being the worst offender.

Name:	DSCN0101.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	155326Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0056 (5).JPG
Views:	135
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	155327Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0054 (2).JPG
Views:	149
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	155328Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0595.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	155329Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0596.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	155330

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2019

Ok. Waterline moved down about 1/2" and the 'white' toned down. I also painted the rescue buoys black. Now I think I am on to dry transfers. At least my waterline is more accurate.

Name:	20211102_232017.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	155342

Name:	20211102_232028.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	155343

Name:	20211102_232044.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	155344

Name:	20211102_232049.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	155345

Name:	20211102_232059.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	155346

Name:	20211102_232111.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	155347

Comment

• SubDude
                                Captain
                                • Dec 2019

Question about the draft numbers. Are the draft numbers on the upper rudder based on the bottom of the lower rudder while the draft numbers on the bow based off of the bottom of the hull? Shouldn't the numbers on the rudder and bow be the same at the waterline respectively?

Comment

Working...