Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

3D printed 1/48 Thresher

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    I had to make my own...

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210826_195943.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	152790
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210826_195955.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	152791
    I also made the PUFFS hydrophones...

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210827_090024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	152792
    And the other side...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210827_101720.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	152795
    Last edited by RCJetDude; 08-27-2021, 10:21 AM.

    Comment


    • #47
      Nice work adding the PUFFS end plates and propeller to your model, that's a very quick turn around! Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by jphatton View Post
        Nice work adding the PUFFS end plates and propeller to your model, that's a very quick turn around! Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
        Thank you sir and thank you for all of your good information on the end plates.

        Comment


        • #49
          What lighting did this boat have? White on top of the rudder, red and green on the sail? Did it have a yellow blinking the letter 'S' or was that something that got introduced later?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by RCJetDude View Post
            What lighting did this boat have? White on top of the rudder, red and green on the sail? Did it have a yellow blinking the letter 'S' or was that something that got introduced later?
            I believe the 'submarine identification light' was on a portable mast put in place by the bridge watch-standers while cruising on the surface. It was Amber of color. Ed can tell you all about it.

            The rudder was supposed to have both a white stern light (32 points port-starboard... Ed? Help!) And a solid white anchor light above it. The sail mounted port-starboard running lights were in retractable housings.

            David
            Resident Luddite

            Comment


            • #51
              I added some strips of fiberglass tape to help add a little strength. This is the first time I have tried this. Another option could be adding some carbon fiber cloth which would really stiffen it up if needed. My plan is to get a coat of primer on it tomorrow.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	20210827_181556.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	152828
              I did the same thing to the upper hull.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by RCJetDude View Post
                I added some strips of fiberglass tape to help add a little strength. This is the first time I have tried this. Another option could be adding some carbon fiber cloth which would really stiffen it up if needed. My plan is to get a coat of primer on it tomorrow.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	20210827_181556.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	152828
                I did the same thing to the upper hull.
                Careful with the Carbon cloth as I've been led to understand that it is opaque to our frequencies.

                David
                Resident Luddite

                Comment


                • #53
                  Good point David. I applied the first coat of primer. Turned out well. Tomorrow I will paint the inside of the hull.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_191701.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	152854
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_191626.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	152855

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by RCJetDude View Post
                    Good point David. I applied the first coat of primer. Turned out well. Tomorrow I will paint the inside of the hull.

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_191701.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	152854
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_191626.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	152855
                    Steve,

                    Did you use a conventional paint sprayer (compressor) or HVLP to paint the hull?

                    That Thresher is looking really nice Steve!!

                    Rob
                    "Crazy old man at work"

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by rwtdiver View Post

                      Steve,

                      Did you use a conventional paint sprayer (compressor) or HVLP to paint the hull?

                      That Thresher is looking really nice Steve!!

                      Rob
                      "Crazy old man at work"
                      Yes. Just a cheap HVLP gun I bought at Walmart.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        One coat of primer on. I haven't even sanded it yet. This is as far as I wanted to take it before SubFest. I may be able to get it sanded and another coat of primer applied before then but we'll see. I need to get the Engel Type IX finished up so there is no rush on this boat.

                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_200129.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	152918
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_200108.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	152919

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X