Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

The hull is completely printed. It turned out great! It will be so easy to finish. Next up will be adding the hull alignment catches, some strips of fiberglass tape, the control surface pivot bushings and then primer. This one I am going to prime the inside as well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210824_195601.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	152732
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210824_195733.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	152733
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210824_195619.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	152734

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
      Captain
      • Apr 2020

Looks really great Steve! That’s a good size boat!

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

This just in from a seemingly knowledgeable individual on the Sub Committee.

"Just remember, if it is USS THRESHER, never a 7-blade prop. It never had one. Only a 5-bladed prop. The J-damped prop designed for the later class and developed by NAVSES at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard was never installed on USS THRESHER. This information came directly from Adm Axene himself in Pensacola, Florida where he lived."

Also from the same source he indicated that the Thresher was launched with the red anti-foul below centerline on the hull.

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models
          Looks really great Steve! That’s a good size boat!
          Thanks Nick. I may be in need of some of your head knowledge about Arduinos at some point in the not to distant future.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude
            This just in from a seemingly knowledgeable individual on the Sub Committee.

"Just remember, if it is USS THRESHER, never a 7-blade prop. It never had one. Only a 5-bladed prop. The J-damped prop designed for the later class and developed by NAVSES at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard was never installed on USS THRESHER. This information came directly from Adm Axene himself in Pensacola, Florida where he lived."

Also from the same source he indicated that the Thresher was launched with the red anti-foul below centerline on the hull.
            Never had the seven-bladed screw?

I'm finishing up a 1/72 THRESHER (mine, not Fred's). I'll do the red anti-foul on the Admiral's say-so.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
              Captain
              • Apr 2020

Thanks Nick. I may be in need of some of your head knowledge about Arduinos at some point in the not to distant future.
              Let me know Bud. I’m here and will assist any way I can. Keep up the good work!

Comment

• jphatton
                Lieutenant
                • Jan 2021

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Never had the seven-bladed screw?

I'm finishing up a 1/72 THRESHER (mine, not Fred's). I'll do the red anti-foul on the Admiral's say-so.

David
                I found this colour film of the USS Thresher in the building shed and launch on Youtube;

There are some brief views of the underside (1:45 time mark onwards) but as it is inside the building it is quite dark - it looks like it is black but it is difficult to be sure. The actual footage of the launch is nose on, so the underside is out of view.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by jphatton

I found this colour film of the USS Thresher in the building shed and launch on Youtube;

There are some brief views of the underside (1:45 time mark onwards) but as it is inside the building it is quite dark - it looks like it is black but it is difficult to be sure. The actual footage of the launch is nose on, so the underside is out of view.
                  Agreed. Jury is still out regarding the below centerline color at time of launch.

However near the end of the video on a the pier, still braced within its shipping cradle, is a S5W five-blade screw. Portsmouth elected to launch the THRESHER without her screw. Was this the wheel they put on the boat? Likely. There remains controversy if this particular boat ever got a seven-bladed, skewed back propeller before her loss.

I'm about six months away from detailing my 1/72 THRESHER and two things remain in question regarding the arrangement of the boat at time of loss: Was there a red anti-foul coating, and if so where was the demarcation line; and did the boat sport the five or seven bladed screw? The abbreviated vertical stabilizers at the tips of the horizontal stabilizers were affirmed from photos of the wreckage, so I'll have to add those. I want to do this boat right.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5334.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	152764

David
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 08-26-2021, 08:35 AM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Agreed. Jury is still out regarding the below centerline color at time of launch.

However near the end of the video on a the pier, still braced within its shipping cradle, is a S5W five-blade screw. Portsmouth elected to launch the THRESHER without her screw. Was this the wheel they put on the boat? Likely. There remains controversy if this particular boat ever got a seven-bladed, skewed back propeller before her loss.

I'm about six months away from detailing my 1/72 THRESHER and two things remain in question regarding the arrangement of the boat at time of loss: Was there a red anti-foul coating, and if so where was the demarcation line; and did the boat sport the five or seven bladed screw? The abbreviated vertical stabilizers at the tips of the horizontal stabilizers were affirmed from photos of the wreckage, so I'll have to add those. I want to do this boat right.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5334.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	152764

David
                    Vertical stabilizers!?!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Vertical stabilizers!?!
                      Yeah. In the early days there was PUFFS -- a passive means of getting useful, real-time, range and bearing -- a system that required three equally spaced transducers over the length of the hull. Later the concept matured into the big arrays we see on the hulls of SEAWOLF and later attack boats. The small vertical stabilizers (on some boats of the class?) reportedly housed the after most elements of that system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SSN-596_USS_Barb.com_Drydock_Unkown-1[1].jpg
Views:	249
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	152767

This is the BARB, so outfitted.

The follow on class, STURGEON, were pretty much the same hull as THRESHER class, but with an altered internal arrangement, a monstrous sail, and enlarge vertical stabilizers -- likely so big to stabilize the boat in yaw because of the destabilizing effect of the enlarged sail so far forward of the boats center of gravity.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

Yeah. In the early days there was PUFFS -- a passive means of getting useful, real-time, range and bearing -- a system that required three equally spaced transducers over the length of the hull. Later the concept matured into the big arrays we see on the hulls of SEAWOLF and later attack boats. The small vertical stabilizers (on some boats of the class?) reportedly housed the after most elements of that system.

Name:	SSN-596_USS_Barb.com_Drydock_Unkown-1[1].jpg
Views:	249
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	152767

This is the BARB, so outfitted.

The follow on class, STURGEON, were pretty much the same hull as THRESHER class, but with an altered internal arrangement, a monstrous sail, and enlarge vertical stabilizers -- likely so big to stabilize the boat in yaw because of the destabilizing effect of the enlarged sail so far forward of the boats center of gravity.

David
                        So did the Thresher have them? You say they were affirmed from photos of the wreckage? I have seen many photos but not that one.

Comment

• jphatton
                          Lieutenant
                          • Jan 2021

I did a bit of analysis of Thresher PUFFS end plates a few months ago, based on photos and comparing to drawings in incorporating into a basic CAD model. The thread which includes links can be found here;

I've started researching a bit the different configurations of the Thresher / Permit class & have a couple of questions on the rudder and rear dive plane arrangements. Most plans & scale models of the Thresher / Permit class submarines show the rudders and rear planes rotate around a fixed bearing block with a cutout

The photo's of the PUFFS end plates on the Thresher wreckage are on page 25 and 26 of this report on the Trieste survey of the wreck;

Comment

• Aug 2008

Wow! Most of the wreak photo's I've never seen. Two-inch plate just twisted like a hand-towel. Gives me the willies!

Both items you referenced are now in my hard-drive. Most useful. Thank you, sir. My eventual 1/72 THRESHER will be all the more accurate owing to your good works here.

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2019

I agree David. I wish we had something more definitive on the Prop. I think all this clearly shows that there were a lot of changes to the progression of these boats during that time as advancements in technology permitted. No pun intended. Good stuff!

Comment

• Aug 2008

I agree David. I wish we had something more definitive on the Prop. I think all this clearly shows that there were a lot of changes to the progression of these boats during that time as advancements in technology permitted. No pun intended. Good stuff!
                                Nice thing about my eventual 1/72 model: I already have five and seven-bladed wheels for that boat at hand. As to the five-blader, its the same for SKIPJACK, THRESHER, and WASHINGTON class boats.

Name:	021 (4) - Copy.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	152778
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...