Rear Admiral
    • Dec 2019

Oh, you meant the model. Duh!
    Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

Thanks David! That is exactly what I needed. Casey, I appreciate the effort.

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Non-skid on. It will be more subdued as I progress.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211025_231812.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	154980

Name:	20211025_231835.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	154981
        I also have the waterline marked on it.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude
          Thanks David! That is exactly what I needed. Casey, I appreciate the effort.
          ... and don't over-state the difference in shade between non-skid and hull. It should be barely seen. I recommend a mist-coat of the black over the non-skid to subdue it more. It's much too distinct as is.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
            Captain
            • Dec 2019

Better...

Name:	20211026_083211.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	154987

Name:	20211026_083236.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	154988

Comment

• Aug 2008

Better...

Name:	20211026_083211.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	154987

Name:	20211026_083236.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	154988
              WHY DON'T YOU JUST PAINT IT WITH A POWER-WASHER LAODED WITH BLACK PAINT, AND SET ON 'KILL'??!!!!.....

No! You ruined it. You can't do good work with a rattle-can, damnit! Invest and learn how to use a proper single-action air-brush. Now your THRESHER has been fly-specked to death.

Nuts!

Wet-sand that goop off the top of the hull and sail planes and start again.

Go to Harbor Freight and get one of those fifteen-buck touch-up air-guns and a Paasche H-model air-brush.

You're too good a talent to be slinging paint with fire-crackers!!!!

Finesse, man.... FINESSE!!!!

Paasche H-1AS Single Action External Mix Airbrush Set with 0.65 mm Tip (webstaurantstore.com)

You people!

Name:	DSCN0033.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	154991Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0056 (3).JPG
Views:	175
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	154992Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0083 (2).JPG
Views:	176
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	154993Click image for larger version

Name:	Img0358.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	154994Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0031.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	154995Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0009.JPG
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	154996Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0010.JPG
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	154997

David
              The Horrible
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

I have an Iwata Neo airbrush and I can use it. Yes, the base black paint was a rattle can thus the reason I misted over the non-skid with it. I suppose I could have sprayed the paint into a container to then use in the AB or decanted the whole can but it never crossed my mind. There are still quite a few layers to go before this is done. All is not lost...besides, I am not out to de-throne the master but I do consider it a lesson learned.

Name:	20211026_103114.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	154999

Comment

• Aug 2008

I have an Iwata Neo airbrush and I can use it. Yes, the base black paint was a rattle can thus the reason I misted over the non-skid with it. I suppose I could have sprayed the paint into a container to then use in the AB or decanted the whole can but it never crossed my mind. There are still quite a few layers to go before this is done. All is not lost...besides, I am not out to de-throne the master but I do consider it a lesson learned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211026_103114.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.8 KB ID:	154999

Oh... enough of the humble-pie stuff. This is competitive model-building, second-placers get skinned and eaten! Man up! You're in the Big Leagues now, pal.

I expect to eventually be de-throned. It's inevitable. But, to do so you'll know you've been in a fight -- and it was all worth the knocks and miss-steps. You can be so much better at this painting thing than you know. The only time I grant ANYONE here a positive comment on their work is when they actually EARN it. No safe-rooms or time-outs here! So, break out your Iwata (whatever the **** that is?!), decant some of that rattle-can goo, and start practicing on a test article with a real, honest to God, paint applicator.

I'm sure you have unpainted hulls standing in shop corners all over the place by now -- use one of those to test out your air-gun/brush. Play with it, try different masking techniques, paint chemistries, pressure-distance-thinning ratios, etc. Go nuts!

Experiment!

Get to it.

David
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Clearly if I was afraid of your "eloquently worded critiques" I wouldn't post anything here but it is all for the sake of improvement and clearly practice does make one better along with the support of others. If I learned nothing from this that would be tragic indeed. Thank you for being my biggest critic. Now, back to work...

Comment

• Aug 2008

Clearly if I was afraid of your "eloquently worded critiques" I wouldn't post anything here but it is all for the sake of improvement and clearly practice does make one better along with the support of others. If I learned nothing from this that would be tragic indeed. Thank you for being my biggest critic. Now, back to work...
                      There you go. That's the stuff!

David
                      Poet And Don't Know It
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Most professional critics are masters of spouting off about stuff they themselves can't do, or do poorly (Ellsworth Toohey comes to mind), and are less than worthless, they are destructive -- I have nothing but contempt for those cocktail-party, articulate, loud-mouths.

But, a Master of a craft, who is also a critic on that subject (Bob Ross comes to mind), yeah. His words have merit. His critique is not casual comment, it's instructive.

David
                        Student of the Craft and Critic
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

How effective is the anti-foul paint at preventing the nasty tannish marine growth from forming?

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

I really don’t think I’ll be punching a hole into a can of spray paint.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Das Boot
                              Only time I have was with a can of clean metal primer that clogged up on me and the stuff was $17 a can off of Amazon so I decanted it and sprayed it through my airbrush. Was messy but it worked.

Comment

• JHapprich
                                Captain
                                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Das Boot
                                I use a prepared cleaned out old sprayhead with a long silicon pipe instead of the tight nozzle installed. Then spray out as much paint as i need into a glass and leave that open some time to release any gas left before closing that glass. Less messy

Comment

Working...