X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

I had to make my own...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210826_195943.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	152790
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210826_195955.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.6 KB ID:	152791
    I also made the PUFFS hydrophones...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210827_090024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	152792
    And the other side...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210827_101720.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	152795
    Last edited by SubDude; 08-27-2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• jphatton
      Lieutenant
      • Jan 2021

Nice work adding the PUFFS end plates and propeller to your model, that's a very quick turn around! Looking forward to seeing the finished model.

Comment

• SubDude
        Captain
        • Dec 2019

Originally posted by jphatton
        Nice work adding the PUFFS end plates and propeller to your model, that's a very quick turn around! Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
        Thank you sir and thank you for all of your good information on the end plates.

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

What lighting did this boat have? White on top of the rudder, red and green on the sail? Did it have a yellow blinking the letter 'S' or was that something that got introduced later?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude
            What lighting did this boat have? White on top of the rudder, red and green on the sail? Did it have a yellow blinking the letter 'S' or was that something that got introduced later?
            I believe the 'submarine identification light' was on a portable mast put in place by the bridge watch-standers while cruising on the surface. It was Amber of color. Ed can tell you all about it.

The rudder was supposed to have both a white stern light (32 points port-starboard... Ed? Help!) And a solid white anchor light above it. The sail mounted port-starboard running lights were in retractable housings.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

I added some strips of fiberglass tape to help add a little strength. This is the first time I have tried this. Another option could be adding some carbon fiber cloth which would really stiffen it up if needed. My plan is to get a coat of primer on it tomorrow.

Name:	20210827_181556.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	152828
              I did the same thing to the upper hull.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I added some strips of fiberglass tape to help add a little strength. This is the first time I have tried this. Another option could be adding some carbon fiber cloth which would really stiffen it up if needed. My plan is to get a coat of primer on it tomorrow.

Name:	20210827_181556.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	152828
                I did the same thing to the upper hull.
                Careful with the Carbon cloth as I've been led to understand that it is opaque to our frequencies.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Good point David. I applied the first coat of primer. Turned out well. Tomorrow I will paint the inside of the hull.

Name:	20210828_191701.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	152854

Name:	20210828_191626.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	152855

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Good point David. I applied the first coat of primer. Turned out well. Tomorrow I will paint the inside of the hull.

Name:	20210828_191701.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	152854

Name:	20210828_191626.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	152855
                    Steve,

Did you use a conventional paint sprayer (compressor) or HVLP to paint the hull?

That Thresher is looking really nice Steve!!

Rob
                    "Crazy old man at work"

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Steve,

Did you use a conventional paint sprayer (compressor) or HVLP to paint the hull?

That Thresher is looking really nice Steve!!

Rob
                      "Crazy old man at work"
                      Yes. Just a cheap HVLP gun I bought at Walmart.

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

One coat of primer on. I haven't even sanded it yet. This is as far as I wanted to take it before SubFest. I may be able to get it sanded and another coat of primer applied before then but we'll see. I need to get the Engel Type IX finished up so there is no rush on this boat.

Name:	20210828_200129.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	152918

Name:	20210828_200108.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	152919

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

Latest progress on the THRESHER. All the trays are installed, pushrods for stern planes made and all necessary components acquired. I need to wire it up but I want to get it painted before it gets too cold here so that will be my next order of business.

Name:	20211012_095254.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	154343

Name:	20211012_095302.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	154344

Name:	20211012_095320.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	154345

Comment

• Das Boot
                            Rear Admiral
                            • Dec 2019

I got to see this boat in person a few weeks ago. Very impressive. Can’t wait to see it run.
                            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• SubDude
                              Captain
                              • Dec 2019

Some color being applied. Once the graphics are on I will give it a clear coat of matte. My guess is that before that fateful final voyage the Navy had her all gussied up and outfitted with the latest greatest bells and whistles so it wouldn't have had much of a scum line or need a bunch of weathering? Thoughts?

Name:	20211023_105208.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	154861

Name:	20211023_105236.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	154862

Comment

• Aug 2008

Some color being applied. Once the graphics are on I will give it a clear coat of matte. My guess is that before that fateful final voyage the Navy had her all gussied up and outfitted with the latest greatest bells and whistles so it wouldn't have had much of a scum line or need a bunch of weathering? Thoughts?

Name:	20211023_105208.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	154861

Name:	20211023_105236.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	154862
                                Last time THRESHER was in dry-dock was at the home shipyard, the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. A government run facility, and 'yard of record' for the THRESHER/PERMIT class. This was her 'Post Shakedown Availability'. The deep dive was nearly the last thing needed before the class could be certified as good to go.

Likely it was during that availability that she got her vertical stabilizers and a maze of weapons related improvements and modifications. All that, and more, in preparation at the yard for that boat to enter the fleet as just another patrolling asset.

She was at the yard for some nine months. Some fraction of that stay she was up on the keel-blocks, out of the element, and her hull preserved. Likely sporting the black-red demarcation line at centerline, as you've depicted on your model, Steve.

She was lost only days after leaving the yard -- how long she was pier-side, in the wet, before the loss, I can't find. Lost in April she may have seen the entire spring-time in the water up there in Main. I don't know.

Water temperature and location drives the rate of marine growth on a hull. And she departed for a non VIP event. So, likely no hull numbers or name. Just the draft numbers. And I would paint the marker-buoy fairing plates international-orange. Who knows what they did? But they were going out for deep-dive certification, so maybe they painted those like that?

So. As to how to mark and weather your THRESHER at time of loss? Draft numbers only. Light scum-line, splotchy bleaching (tending to the brown) from waterline down. Lots of vertical streaking from sail, upper rudder and deck down. Gobs of staining on the deck non-skid around the access hatches and cleats. Yard periods are nasty affairs. Add oil-canning on the sail, stabilizers, and control surfaces

And don't forget the bird-****!

I've added some shots of my weathering efforts to horrify/encourage you.

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...