Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
    Dave the Echo II keeps calling my name to do after the Foxtrot.
    Yuck! But if you have your heart set on that floating POS, I can return your NOVEMBER master -- that would give you a head start on that honorary member of the HEN family.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

You want to see the Foxtrot build or the Long Bin? I am confused.
      FOXTROT!!!!!!! First....then whatever you want!
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• 598602G
        Captain
        • Jan 2017

Dave I thought you liked the HEN boats. Hope I am not making people mad at me.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Dave I thought you liked the HEN boats. Hope I am not making people mad at me.
          I love the NOVEMBER. I like the ECHOE and HOTEL class boats as much as red headed, *******, step-children with bad teeth, and BO! Other than that …. I like the HEN's.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• JHapprich
            Captain
            • Oct 2017

Personal favorite: pr.659T Echo I SSN. Looks like a nuclear Foxtrot

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by JHapprich
              Personal favorite: pr.659T Echo I SSN. Looks like a nuclear Foxtrot
              Yuck! What's wrong with you people!?……...
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                Captain
                • Jan 2017

Getting down to the wire. Sail is primered and ready for my least favorite thing scribe work. Just have to start laying coats of epoxy,sand and primer and that's ready for scribe. Used 3 layers of 4oz boating cloth on hull and sail. Hull is heavy from using 21/2lb styrofoam.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Getting down to the wire. Sail is primered and ready for my least favorite thing scribe work. Just have to start laying coats of epoxy,sand and primer and that's ready for scribe. Used 3 layers of 4oz boating cloth on hull and sail. Hull is heavy from using 21/2lb styrofoam.
                  A thought, Tim: give that sail master two thin coats of gel-coat (I make mine from either micro-balloons or colloidal silica fiber), and sand smooth. That type substrate makes the scribing chore much easier. And while you're at it, dope that gel-coat with gray pigment -- makes the work very easy to see as you go along. I hate scribing into glass fibers! Hard work, and dulls the scratch-awl/scribing tool quickly.

David
                  Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 12-04-2019, 11:53 AM.
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2017

The way I made a surface coat when I was laying up hulls I mixed up epoxy resin and fiberglass powder. Mixed it until it was like syrup. Brushed a coat of that in the molds to pick up all the detail. Then I started laying down 4oz cloth. I will do that on the final coat of resin on the hull. I use needle/jewelers files ground to shape and thickness I need. I use a carbide chop wheel for a dremel and shape them. Those files will stay sharp for a lot of scribe work. Then I use a small wet stone to sharpen them.

Comment

• Aug 2008

The way I made a surface coat when I was laying up hulls I mixed up epoxy resin and fiberglass powder. Mixed it until it was like syrup. Brushed a coat of that in the molds to pick up all the detail. Then I started laying down 4oz cloth. I will do that on the final coat of resin on the hull. I use needle/jewelers files ground to shape and thickness I need. I use a carbide chop wheel for a dremel and shape them. Those files will stay sharp for a lot of scribe work. Then I use a small wet stone to sharpen them.
                      Just to be clear, Tim. I was describing a SURFACE coat to the master, to produce a substrate to make your scribing job easier. But, we all have our favorite modes of operation.

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2017

I am going to use the epoxy resin/fiberglass powder mix and put a coat of that on the hull plug as final coat so I can scribe easier. Want to know if you have any PE mesh for the vents on the Yankee sail. If you have the Yankee plans I sent you you can see what size rectangle mesh. Looks like 1mm x 2mm. I have dug through all my stuff and looked on the net but can't find. Would be better to glue PE mesh to sail instead of trying to scribe.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I am going to use the epoxy resin/fiberglass powder mix and put a coat of that on the hull plug as final coat so I can scribe easier. Want to know if you have any PE mesh for the vents on the Yankee sail. If you have the Yankee plans I sent you you can see what size rectangle mesh. Looks like 1mm x 2mm. I have dug through all my stuff and looked on the net but can't find. Would be better to glue PE mesh to sail instead of trying to scribe.
                          No, Sorry. I don't have anything like that. How about this source: Gold Metal Models

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2017

They don't have so will just scribe it I guess

Comment

• 598602G
                              Captain
                              • Jan 2017

Found the perfect fit. Using a couple PE parts from a 1/144 Romeo kit. I am talking almost perfect.

Comment

• 598602G
                                Captain
                                • Jan 2017

Here is what I have so far on the sail. Using PE parts that I had on hand. Went with the double row of vents instead of the 4 rows of vents. I thought it looked better.

Comment

Working...