Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by 598602G
    Dave I will resend the file to your email.
    Got it. And I'll take that file to the local printer and have my hard-copy made to 1/72 scale. May I suggest I also do all control surfaces and stabilizers?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
      Captain
      • Jan 2017

I was going to see if you would do the appendages and control surfaces as well. I am out of rtv silicone mold stuff and casting resin. I will do the molds for the hull and sail. Saves me a bunch of time.

Comment

• type7
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2009

I'll be counterpoint and say 688. How are you going to get a Yankee to turn? I have tried a clear rudder extension and an all flying lower rudder on the Delta. Next summer it will have both to see if it will turn in something smaller than the Carmel pond. At least make the rudders larger than scale.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I was going to see if you would do the appendages and control surfaces as well. I am out of rtv silicone mold stuff and casting resin. I will do the molds for the hull and sail. Saves me a bunch of time.
          I'm on it!

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by type7
            I'll be counterpoint and say 688. How are you going to get a Yankee to turn? I have tried a clear rudder extension and an all flying lower rudder on the Delta. Next summer it will have both to see if it will turn in something smaller than the Carmel pond. At least make the rudders larger than scale.
            Those two widely spaced screws gives us the opportunity to mix rudder with two ESC's to use differential propeller thrust to assist in yawing the boat.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
              Vice Admiral
              • Mar 2013

Mine turns quite nicely. Scale rudders without extensions and Kevin's excellent throttle jocky make the magic happen.

Comment

• Davidh
                Captain
                • Nov 2010

Yep,

My Delta 4 will probably turn like a @&*$! I. Going to need a rudder extension on the lower rudder. It will also be interesting to see how effective the stern planes are, they are tiny..

David h

Comment

• 598602G
                  Captain
                  • Jan 2017

Plans show nice size dual rudders. Don't see much of a problem. Like Dave said I have a dual motor speed controller where depending on how it is set up during a turn one screw will rotate backwards for a tighter turn. I will get some pics today of the hull and sail plugs and the plans.

Comment

• 598602G
                    Captain
                    • Jan 2017

Pics of the hull and sail plug and plans. Have to ad the end of the missile casing, some final sanding then I can start glassing over plugs. Foam is real dense 2 1/2lbs.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Pics of the hull and sail plug and plans. Have to ad the end of the missile casing, some final sanding then I can start glassing over plugs. Foam is real dense 2 1/2lbs.
                      Looking good, Tim. I'll have drawings in hand this afternoon. Might even start in on the master blanks tonight. PLAY TIME! Hey, it's how I spend my holiday!

I found only one good shot of the YANKEE stern in dry-dock. You got any pictures that will help me out with the stabilizers, control surfaces, and propellers, Tim?

Here's an idea: you slice off the ass-end of your foam master and send it to me so I can consolidate the vertical and horizontal stabilizer masters to that cone. That way I produce a master and tool that represents the ass-end of the YANKEE as a homogeneous unit -- the eventual casting is hollow and has the stabilizers attached. Like so:

If we present the stern in such a manner to the customer, it will be much easier for him to integrate it with the hull as he assembles his YANKEE kit. We become rich and world famous!

David
                      Adjusting Medications Carelessly
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• 598602G
                        Captain
                        • Jan 2017

Dave it is so hard to find drawings or good pics of any Yankee. Got these other drawings off the net. Boris the guy I got Yankee plans from sells a real nice resin cast 1/350 Yankee II model on ebay.

Comment

• 598602G
                          Captain
                          • Jan 2017

Dang posted a Delta IV.

Comment

• 598602G
                            Captain
                            • Jan 2017

Rear missile casing. Once it is glued down I can shape it exactly to the front. Will start glassing hull and sail plugs.

Comment

• JHapprich
                              Captain
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by type7
                              My Delta II uses two esc's and a futaba f-14 with navy twin stick so i can use the screws to assist turning.the turn radius is quite large indeed. Plus i found the forward sail-mounted diveplanes to be very effective.
                              Regards Jörg

Comment

• 598602G
                                Captain
                                • Jan 2017

Only way to tell how the Yankee is going to turn is build one and put it to the test. I made molds for a 1/96 Delta III and IV. Been thinking about doing another Delta III again only this time do it in 1/72. That would be almost 85" long

Comment

Working...