Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and expectations

Hello, and welcome to the forums at the Nautilus Drydocks, formerly Sub-driver.com!

We welcome anyone with a passion for submarines and a desire to learn and share knowledge about this fascinating hobby. Use of these forums indicates your intention to abide by our code of conduct:


1. No spam. All automated messages, advertisements, and links to competitor websites will be deleted immediately.

2. Please post in relevant sub-forums only. Messages posted in the wrong topic area will be removed and placed in the correct sub-forum by moderators.

3. Respect other users. No flaming or abusing fellow forum members. Users who continue to post inflammatory, abusive comments will be deleted from the forum after or without a warning.

4. No threats or harassment of other users will be tolerated. Any instance of threatening or harassing behavior is grounds for deletion from the forums.

5. No profanity or pornography is allowed. Posts containing adult material will be deleted.

6. No re-posting of copyrighted materials or other illegal content is allowed. Any posts containing illegal content or copyrighted materials will be deleted.
See more
See less

Next mold dilema.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Sounds good to me. That U-boat is one heavy hull. I never made my hulls that heavy. So if I poured water in the hull and measured like how many gallons of water it takes to fill it up would that be OK?

    Comment


    • #62
      I just filled the hull with water and it holds 3 gallons of water

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by 598602G View Post
        I just filled the hull with water and it holds 3 gallons of water
        That gives us total displacement of a completely sealed up hull (plus the weight of the hull itself, which has a density of one). Not what I want. We want the displacement of just the above waterline portions of the hull. That includes the sail, masts, and gun(s).

        OK. Do this: weigh the deck and sail (GRP has a specific gravity close to one so there's a direct correlation of GRP weight to water weight) and give me that number. I'll multiply that number by 2.5 to account for the sides of the superstructure down to the limber holes, which is where the waterline is on the Type-7. That will give me the size of your ballast tank plus a healthy fudge-factor.

        So, get me that number and I'll take it from there, Tim.

        David
        "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

        Comment


        • #64
          Dave I got a fiberglass deck with the boat. I will to go to post office and have them weigh the and the wintergarden sail that I am going to use and send you the weight

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by 598602G View Post
            Dave I got a fiberglass deck with the boat. I will to go to post office and have them weigh the and the wintergarden sail that I am going to use and send you the weight
            Perfect, Tim. God damit, man! Go to harbor freight, plunk fifteen-bucks on the counter and get one of those little digital scales. You cheap-skate, you!

            You give me that number and I'll to the magic here. Will a 3.75" diameter ballast tank fit in there and still not project above water in surfaced trim?

            David
            "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

            Comment


            • #66
              Not cheap just never had a need for a scale as I deal with premeasured fluids like for the epoxy resin. Or I have measuring cups. Anyway pic of the hull with a tape. Think by the time I install side rails to hold deck a 3.5" would be better but you make the call.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by 598602G View Post
                Not cheap just never had a need for a scale as I deal with premeasured fluids like for the epoxy resin. Or I have measuring cups. Anyway pic of the hull with a tape. Think by the time I install side rails to hold deck a 3.5" would be better but you make the call.
                Yeah. We want plenty of annular space between SD and the inside of the hull for floatation foam. So, we'll go with the new thin-wall 3" Lexan for the ballast tank and 2.5 Lexan for the forward and after dry spaces.

                Get me the weight on the deck and sail and we're off!

                It'll look something like this:









                David
                "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                Comment


                • #68
                  Dave I will try to get the weights you need today. Do you know any vendors that sell like resin parts or PE parts for the 1/48 type IX? I can hardly find squat for the IX. Lots of resin and PE stuff for a 1/48 type VII.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by 598602G View Post
                    Dave I will try to get the weights you need today. Do you know any vendors that sell like resin parts or PE parts for the 1/48 type IX? I can hardly find squat for the IX. Lots of resin and PE stuff for a 1/48 type VII.
                    When you can, Tim. No rush. I don't have any Type-9 sources for you -- maybe those looking over our shoulder will provide you those resources. I would imagine a lot of commonality between Type-7 and Type-9 fittings, guns, and deck gear. I think Verlinden had some stuff at that scale -- don't even know if they are still in business or not.

                    David
                    "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I need to send my deck outline in to a guy in Germany, but working on a etched deck for that very same sub. Doing the long sail version.
                      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Sucks because most of wood decks, resin and pe parts are for VII's. For the deck on my IX think I will just custom do it in like basswod or teak. I have a Revell 1/72 type IX kit for reference, Thought about making hull molds for the 1/72 IX and make hulls out of glass but you didn't hear that from me.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by 598602G View Post
                          Sucks because most of wood decks, resin and pe parts are for VII's. For the deck on my IX think I will just custom do it in like basswod or teak. I have a Revell 1/72 type IX kit for reference, Thought about making hull molds for the 1/72 IX and make hulls out of glass but you didn't hear that from me.
                          I hope I heard that wrong, Tim. You're not thinking of pirating the Revell kit, are you?

                          David
                          "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Not me. I just dug out my 1/72 type VII and type IX kits. Maybe a little small for my taste. Got my eye on a 1/48 type VII kit to get my grubby fingers on. Dave I am fixin to order the Foxtrot plans from Boris. How about I send you the file and you make a hardcopy for you in 1/72 and you mail me a hardcopy in 1/72 then we are on the same page.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by 598602G View Post
                              Not me. I just dug out my 1/72 type VII and type IX kits. Maybe a little small for my taste. Got my eye on a 1/48 type VII kit to get my grubby fingers on. Dave I am fixin to order the Foxtrot plans from Boris. How about I send you the file and you make a hardcopy for you in 1/72 and you mail me a hardcopy in 1/72 then we are on the same page.
                              Thanks for the clarification, Tim.

                              Sounds like a sound plan on the FOXTROT front. You do the FOXTROT hull and sail, I'll do the rest (most 'of the rest' is already done!)






















                              David
                              "... well, that takes care of Jorgenson's theory!"

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                OK I ordered them. Will wait for Boris to get back with me. Wonder if they have Thanksgiving type Holiday in Russia?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X