Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cgbillb
    Lieutenant Commander
    • May 2018

How not to add the putty, too many air spaces but not to worry it all came of when I pulled the tape off, after sitting all night. Click image for larger version  Name:	30.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	128150
    Click image for larger version  Name:	31.jpg Views:	1 Size:	148.2 KB ID:	128151
    Guess I did not RTFI

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by cgbillb
      How not to add the putty, too many air spaces but not to worry it all came of when I pulled the tape off, after sitting all night. Click image for larger version Name:	30.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	128150
      Click image for larger version Name:	31.jpg Views:	1 Size:	148.2 KB ID:	128151
      Guess I did not RTFI
      Once you have cut and filed that putty to shape coat it and the union between it and the model with thin formula CA. This to buck up the putty and insure a tight bond between it and the edge of the hull.

Good job on the marking-cutting jig, Bill.

Manfred is crazy good at this stuff, but his model access approach is way above my (and your) league. KISS.

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cgbillb
        Lieutenant Commander
        • May 2018

Tom
        I did not do this
        Acetone bath and scrubbing followed by a very warm sudsy water bath. Rinsed and let dry.
        David
        I did not do this
        And scrub all the plastic parts with scouring powder and water followed by a good rinsing. The injection forming process leaves oil on the parts surfaces and that will bugger up bonding and painting.
        Guess I did not RTFI very well
        After coffee will wash the hull, and try again, good think I got a large can of Evercoat and all winter to build the U-2326 and have a type VIIC to build as well
        Bill

Comment

• cgbillb
          Lieutenant Commander
          • May 2018

OK gave the U-2326 a bath as in the RTFI and put putty on will let try for a few hours.
          David if I read the RTFI right, I need to put CA on as I pull the tape off? So the putty is just a filler and the CA is the bonding ?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Making Up The Kerf - The Sub-drivers Forum.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	128155

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK gave the U-2326 a bath as in the RTFI and put putty on will let try for a few hours.
            David if I read the RTFI right, I need to put CA on as I pull the tape off? So the putty is just a filler and the CA is the bonding ?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Making Up The Kerf - The Sub-drivers Forum.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	128155
            That's right, Bill. Easy when pulling the tape or you'll break the putty away -- that putty that did not yet receive the CA to bond it tightly to the styrene plastics edge.

And good job getting those big pictures to post in the thread.

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cgbillb
              Lieutenant Commander
              • May 2018

Thanks Have it after I RTFI have portside done came out great will do the starboard side after the CA dry's good
              Thanks' again
              Bill

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Bill,
                The cutting the hull is one of the major hurdles people have to overcome. You went for it and did a fine job!
                Putting the glaze in-between two pieces of tape is challenging. That being said you are getting it done.
                As I recall (take that with a grain of salt), cutting the hull and trimming are the two biggies for this sub. Trimming is a bit of patience, but not as technical as cutting the hull (for me at least). So, that being said, you are on your way to finishing this sub!
                Peace,
                Tom
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• cgbillb
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • May 2018

Tom
                  Thank you yes it had me worried, about doing it. I just got both sides done and will let them dry till tomorrow. Thanks to you and what is his name, I got thru it looks good. Have a type VII U-977
                  To do a little later. Thank you Tom and David for your help and build logs on getting me thru this part, now on to the rest of the build.
                  Bill

Comment

• Aug 2008

Tom
                    Thank you yes it had me worried, about doing it. I just got both sides done and will let them dry till tomorrow. Thanks to you and what is his name, I got thru it looks good. Have a type VII U-977
                    To do a little later. Thank you Tom and David for your help and build logs on getting me thru this part, now on to the rest of the build.
                    Bill
                    This ain't BUILDING! The building was done by a big heavy set of steel tools. You're assembling! (and doing a fine job of it, too).

Get back to work!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• MFR1964
                      Detail Nut of the First Order
                      • Sep 2010

Bill, first get your Type XXIII build, that alone will be your goal for now, building a big scale type VII is a different story, i also own a type VII but at 1:35 scale, this beast is BIG!!!! and a handfull to handle.

Manfred.
                      I went underground

Comment

• cgbillb
                        Lieutenant Commander
                        • May 2018

Manfred
                        Yes you are right one of my goals is to LEARN, how to build a U-Boat , I have auto-cad drawing's coming (2-3 months out) for my U-505 also that will be my dream U-boat at 1/48 scale around 65"
                        But after my U-2326 and U-977
                        Bill

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

This ain't BUILDING! The building was done by a big heavy set of steel tools. You're assembling! (and doing a fine job of it, too).

Get back to work!

David
                          David, don't make me break out the Merriman-Webster dictionary again!
                          Bill, build away!
                          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Hey, Bill. Something for you to watch. A blast from the past!

David
                            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cgbillb
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • May 2018

Tom
                              I did have to break out my Dictionary, well google it thanks.

David
                              wow you are a old dude, I did watch it with my coffee,thanks now back to work,

Manfred
                              Love your rudder-plane linkage, The U-505 will have something like that.

Have a great days guys
                              Bill

Comment

• Aug 2008

Tom
                                I did have to break out my Dictionary, well google it thanks.

David
                                wow you are a old dude, I did watch it with my coffee,thanks now back to work,

Manfred
                                Love your rudder-plane linkage, The U-505 will have something like that.

Have a great days guys
                                Bill
                                Gee … thanks!

David
                                Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...